Cartagena Schedule

cheflauraleh

I am looking for some advice on our schedule for Cartagena. These are the things that I am looking to do: Visit the Old City, Visit the Fortress, Shop a bit for emeralds, coffee, etc.... My activites are pretty common but I'm just trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way to go about doing these things.

First of all, where do you suggest we go to shop for the goods? We'd prefer to do this city on our own and not with a tour group. We don't mind walking from one place to another but I've had trouble finding a map that shows the distance, and of course I'd like to be walking through a safe neighborhood. Any advice? I'd also considered renting a cab for a day, but I'd love to hear someone's recent review of how much they paid, what they were able to do, etc....

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Just back from columbia. The city is beautiful and fellow passengers had all been able to get a cab for a day tour and shopping for about 20 pp. No one had any problems with language or felt in danger. There were several single ladies that went out and had great ease in the city. The vendors at the fortress are a little agressive but a no thank you seemed to work for us. I would go back tomorrow as it was beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for some advice on our schedule for Cartagena. These are the things that I am looking to do: Visit the Old City, Visit the Fortress, Shop a bit for emeralds, coffee, etc.... My activities are pretty common but I'm just trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way to go about doing these things.

First of all, where do you suggest we go to shop for the goods? We'd prefer to do this city on our own and not with a tour group. We don't mind walking from one place to another but I've had trouble finding a map that shows the distance, and of course I'd like to be walking through a safe neighborhood. Any advice? I'd also considered renting a cab for a day, but I'd love to hear someone's recent review of how much they paid, what they were able to do, etc....

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

There are many shopping opportunities within the walled part of Cartagena. The city within the walls is quite walkable, and while you will likely want to go by taxi from the port to the walled part, once there you will likely be just fine walking around independently. It is a bit of a walk to get to the dungeons, but unless you're mobility impaired it is not unreasonably distant. Note that you can also purchase Colombian coffee at the port itself (though not necessarily at the best price).

For a decent map you can visit the tourism site at http://www.cartagenainfo.net. The walled part of the city, as well as Boca Grande, is reasonably secure, and it is unlikely that you will have any difficulties or concerns. The guidebooks almost universally refer to "aggressive" vendors, but in fact I did not find the aggressiveness any greater than in other port cities or even more so than parts of New York City.

We did not use taxis other than to travel between the port and city. We hailed a taxi on the street immediately outside the port. It I recall correctly we paid US$5 for two of us, and the other couple sharing the taxi paid an equal amount.

Archived