Earliest flight departure from MIA after cruise?

oliverweagle

Hi there - we are booked on the Epic in July, and the itinery reads that the Epic is back in port at 8:00AM. What would be the earliest flight from MIA that you would be comfortable with? It looks as if we have a choice of 11:30 AM or 3:10 PM - is the 11:30 manageable or perhaps you might suggest something to for us to do until the afternoon flight - o (bearing in mind we will be lugging suitcases after out week at sea!)

Thank you!

Ollie

Personally I suggest taking the later flight (3:30) due to the fact you need to get off the ship and allow ample time to get to the airport, obtain boarding passes, check luggage and get through security. Why not wake up, have breakfast onboard enjoy the last few leisurely hours and allow ample time to get to the airport check in, get rid of the luggage and have lunch before the flight. Rushing right off the ship and making a mad dash to the airport does not sound like fun. I believe the cruise lines recommend booking flights after 1:00pm so there are not any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

If you read the main NCL boards, 11:30 is okay, though a bit tight for some. Others have done 10:30 to 11:00 okay.

With the Epic coming in and having twice the people of some other cruiseships, and early in their first season, I don't think I would do 11:30 unless you truly hate hanging around the airport. Then again, if you miss it, you will probaby wait until the next day anyways, as all the flights will be PACKED FULL.

Wonder if the airlines will add capacity?

If I was on another, smaller ship I would advise for the earlier flight (we could have easily made an 11:30 in Ft. Lauderdale when we sailed in September!) but they may not have all the kinks worked out on the new ship and with so many people on board I would give yourself a bit more time.

So jealous that you are getting to go so soon on EPIC! Can't wait to hear your reviews!

have booked the later flight as we would rather have the peace of mind and not be stressed! - That is IF our 7 year old will give us peace as he asks every other day whether it is nearly "Epic Time!"

Cheers,

Ollie

Excellent decision. One thing you can do is book the Everglades tour with NCL. They drop you at the airport at the end of the tour.

Should be interesting in S. FL with the Epic and Oasis of the Seas adding 10,000 plus passengers coming and going from the two area airports on the same day every week.

I booked both a pre and post cruise flight and hotel so there wil be no worries when it comes to arrival and departures from the cruise. There are so many choices regarding hotels near the airport or cruise terminal at very affordable prices.

have booked the later flight as we would rather have the peace of mind and not be stressed! - That is IF our 7 year old will give us peace as he asks every other day whether it is nearly "Epic Time!"

Cheers,

Ollie

If you don't do an excursion, I can almost guarantee you will be at the airport, thru Security and sitting at the gate before 11:30 AM. That said, I would book the later flight. We always book a flight around 2 PM. Two years ago, getting off Freedom of the Seas in Miami, we were still on the ship at 11:30 AM. Apparently, a few of the Customs officers called in sick which backed everything up. There were a number of really upset people who had early flights. One additional thing to consider - if you miss your flight, you will have to pay the going rate to rebook which will probably be very expensive. Check out next day flights on any airline. One additional suggestion - if you are ever going to miss a flight, call the airline and cancel - I think the penalites are lower if you do this.

Archived