Hop On Hop Off Bus in Buenos Aires

Eddy and the cruisers

Is anyone familiar with the Hop On Hop Off bus in BA? Apparently this service started in May of this year. According to their website, a city tour cost $25 Argentina Pesos (about $6.50 US). There are 12 stops and it takes about 2 3/4 hours to go the whole circuit if you stay on the bus.

From what we can gather, the nearest stop to the cruise ship terminal is stop #8, Plaza San Martin. It looks about 1 1/4 miles from the cruise ship terminal. The frequency of buses is every 1/2 hour.

We are planning to walk to this stop but not sure if it is advisable to do so. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed and Donna

For mixed reviews of this new bus service see:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k3185844-Hop_on_and_off_bus-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

The distance from the pier terminal in Zona Portuaria to the Plaza San Martin which is at the foot of Av Sante Fe is about 2.5 kms. You can use google maps to check it out. It is not a pleasant walk, but probably beats having to deal with the taxi cab thugs/thieves at the pier. Plaza San Martin is so close to the cruise ship terminal that even the pier cabbies could not charge more than 25 pesos (probably 2x the regular metered fare) to take you.

I used this tour back in feb and throughly enjoyed it.If you have used the hop on hop off in other cities this one is a lot different.For example you are expected to stay with the one bus for the whole tour.when it makes a stop the bus waits and you are given a time to return{the guide I had was really bossy and nearly had a coronary when i stopped to talk to some friends as she was trying to show us the cathaderal,lol,it was really quite funny}

Also,if you do both circuits[which i would recomend]It lasts most of the day{i started the tour at 11am and the tour bus dropped me off near my apt around 4.30-5pm}I found it really good value and it covered a lot of the sights.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions

• 1 month later...
For mixed reviews of this new bus service see:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k3185844-Hop_on_and_off_bus-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

The distance from the pier terminal in Zona Portuaria to the Plaza San Martin which is at the foot of Av Sante Fe is about 2.5 kms. You can use google maps to check it out. It is not a pleasant walk, but probably beats having to deal with the taxi cab thugs/thieves at the pier. Plaza San Martin is so close to the cruise ship terminal that even the pier cabbies could not charge more than 25 pesos (probably 2x the regular metered fare) to take you.

Hello,

was the fare in US dollars.

Hello,

Not sure if this will be of help to you...

We were in Buenos Airesin April of 2009. We had an overnight on the ship. After checking in, we wanted to see some more of the city. I noticed that the taxi fares listed were much higher than what we had paid during our two day stay in the city. We walked out of the terminal and toward the Courthouse (about two blocks from the cruise terminal). We found a taxi (use Radio Taxis only!). The taxi dropped us off in central Buenos Aires and we went from there. The taxi was about half of what I saw posted.

The area around the cruise terminal is industrial and port oriented but not dangerous. But if you have any mobility problems or are not an experienced traveler,just take a taxi from the cruise terminal and pay the higher amount. To get back to the cruise terminal, use Radio Taxis and ask him or her to put on their meter.

When you are near the Ricoleta Cemetery whichis a DO NOT MISS, there is a well known restaurant called La Biela. Sadly there are few placeslike this still inoperation in the USA. The placeis in the high moderate range, not cheap but not expensive either. The restaurant's theme is honor the sport of automobile racing in Argentina. There are some fascinating pictures and other things. The waiters are very professional and lotsof fun.

Archived