Couple Questions About Chankanaab Park

izzypooch

I've been reading good reviews about Chankanaab Park but I have a couple of questions before I commit for my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise.

First, is this a good beach for someone who just wants to sit in the shade and read? Is there a shallow wadding area in the ocean if I would dare to get wet? Or is the water ONLY a drop off area for snorkeling?

The descriptive literature mentions "enjoy sea lions and dolphins perform". Has anyone been there recently to know if there are still sea lion and/or dolphins shows? Do these have admission fees? I think I read somewhere where you could swim over to the dolphin area to see them. Is this what they are talking about, do you think, cause if so then that would eliminiate my seeing them.

Bottom line, is the place for me who is a non-swimmer just looking for a relaxing beach day?

I've been reading good reviews about Chankanaab Park but I have a couple of questions before I commit for my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise.

First, is this a good beach for someone who just wants to sit in the shade and read? Is there a shallow wadding area in the ocean if I would dare to get wet? Or is the water ONLY a drop off area for snorkeling?

The descriptive literature mentions "enjoy sea lions and dolphins perform". Has anyone been there recently to know if there are still sea lion and/or dolphins shows? Do these have admission fees? I think I read somewhere where you could swim over to the dolphin area to see them. Is this what they are talking about, do you think, cause if so then that would eliminiate my seeing them.

Bottom line, is the place for me who is a non-swimmer just looking for a relaxing beach day?

If you don't like to swim then yes you'd probably like Chankanaab. There are tons of thatch roof huts with chairs under it. Very relaxing and they have waiters to take your drink orders and they serve pina coladas and mixed drinks in Coconuts very fun. There are also a lot of places to explore there is a lagoon behind the beach and if you look in the trees you'll usually be lucky to see huge iguanas.

If you want to go in the water for a dip there is a small beach area. You can walk over to where the dolphins are and watch people ride the dolphins my 3 year old and myself enjoyed this last time while my hubby was snorkeling. If you decide to go there is a coupon on the website so be sure to print it out. This is one of my favorite places. Have fun.

If you don't like to swim then yes you'd probably like Chankanaab. There are tons of thatch roof huts with chairs under it. Very relaxing and they have waiters to take your drink orders and they serve pina coladas and mixed drinks in Coconuts very fun. There are also a lot of places to explore there is a lagoon behind the beach and if you look in the trees you'll usually be lucky to see huge iguanas.

If you want to go in the water for a dip there is a small beach area. You can walk over to where the dolphins are and watch people ride the dolphins my 3 year old and myself enjoyed this last time while my hubby was snorkeling. If you decide to go there is a coupon on the website so be sure to print it out. This is one of my favorite places. Have fun.

I was just there last week. We paid an entrance fee at the door since we were unsure of our plans prior to leaving for the cruise. We $19.00 p/adult. This was the lowest package. This included a drink (includes alcoholic drinks) and a T-shirt. Access to most everything, but the swimming pool. We snorkeled (our own equip.), so we stayed close to the snorkel area.

The above poster gave a very good description of the place. The Dolphin show was free, but we missed it. The place was very relaxing and not crowded at all.

I was just there last week. We paid an entrance fee at the door since we were unsure of our plans prior to leaving for the cruise. We $19.00 p/adult. This was the lowest package. This included a drink (includes alcoholic drinks) and a T-shirt. Access to most everything, but the swimming pool. We snorkeled (our own equip.), so we stayed close to the snorkel area.

The above poster gave a very good description of the place. The Dolphin show was free, but we missed it. The place was very relaxing and not crowded at all.

Tneah, what did the taxi ride cost to get you there? Going next month and wife and I are considering doing this on our own for the day.

Tneah, what did the taxi ride cost to get you there? Going next month and wife and I are considering doing this on our own for the day.

It was $10.00 for up to 4 people each way. We weren't sure about tipping, so we gave him $3.00 on the way and I only had 2 singles left so that's all I gave him for the return.

I read that after the fact that in Mexico it's not customary to tip the taxi guy. But they sure had no problem taking it if offered.

Just returned from a day here on RC Enchantment cruise. Taxi for up to 4 is $10 each way. Shaded palapas and wooden "Adirondack" chairs and loungers plus hard plastic curved things on the beach. Small lagoon which is very shallow is only option for beach entry swimming. Dolphin show is at 1pm ship time. Seven of us sat on the edge of one of the pens and had a very close up view of the two dolphins and the trainers where they showed off all of their tricks. Nothing like "Sea World" but I have seen several "shows" and this demonstration was great. Heard or saw nothing about sea lions. Do NOT rent snorkling equipment when paying for admission. Their are several vendors renting equipment and all prices are negotiable. The three of us had our own masks and snorkels and the first vendor said it would be $10 each for "mandatory" life jackets (saw many snorkeling without so doubt if this is a requirement) and fins. Another vendor said he would give us the jackets and fins for "free" plus take myself and two 11 year olds on a tour of the area, he said to just give him a tip. I appreciated another adult to guide us. The tour was only about 35 minutes but he showed us the two submerged items and the fish on the reef were numerous and varied. I gave him $20 which seemed adequate to him and we were welcome to use the equipment longer if desired. There were very few visitors so I think the vendors were happy for any business. Several options for food and drink, cans of beer were $3 delivered to your chair or at the restaurants. Food not so cheap but not crazy. There was a woman selling beer for $2.50 at a stand near the entrance. The pool is marked as reserved for guests paying for the various dolphin experiences but the two girls jumped in and swam for half an hour and no one questioned them, no one was in the pool. The two girls got their hair braided for $10 each for just the front. If you go, make sure to check out the beautiful garden and the Mayan ruin section as they have about 50 relics. Were shoes as the paths are gravel! There is also a section with hammocks. If you go, make sure to explore the entire property! Using the internet coupon, admission for one adult and one child was $21 (no Tshirt or drink). Prices have gone up slightly from what I had printed from this board but they honored my printout. I have done "Mr Sanchos" in the past and would definitely recommend this tranquil and beautiful location; much less commercial and lots of variety (unless you are looking for water toys). One last tip, I would stick with beer or bottled water. The girls had one Shirley Temple each with ice and I had one margarita on the rocks. Two of us had very mild GI issues the next day but I would not risk more local water. Hope this info is helpful!

Just returned from a day here on RC Enchantment cruise. Taxi for up to 4 is $10 each way. Shaded palapas and wooden "Adirondack" chairs and loungers plus hard plastic curved things on the beach. Small lagoon which is very shallow is only option for beach entry swimming. Dolphin show is at 1pm ship time. Seven of us sat on the edge of one of the pens and had a very close up view of the two dolphins and the trainers where they showed off all of their tricks. Nothing like "Sea World" but I have seen several "shows" and this demonstration was great. Heard or saw nothing about sea lions. Do NOT rent snorkling equipment when paying for admission. Their are several vendors renting equipment and all prices are negotiable. The three of us had our own masks and snorkels and the first vendor said it would be $10 each for "mandatory" life jackets (saw many snorkeling without so doubt if this is a requirement) and fins. Another vendor said he would give us the jackets and fins for "free" plus take myself and two 11 year olds on a tour of the area, he said to just give him a tip. I appreciated another adult to guide us. The tour was only about 35 minutes but he showed us the two submerged items and the fish on the reef were numerous and varied. I gave him $20 which seemed adequate to him and we were welcome to use the equipment longer if desired. There were very few visitors so I think the vendors were happy for any business. Several options for food and drink, cans of beer were $3 delivered to your chair or at the restaurants. Food not so cheap but not crazy. There was a woman selling beer for $2.50 at a stand near the entrance. The pool is marked as reserved for guests paying for the various dolphin experiences but the two girls jumped in and swam for half an hour and no one questioned them, no one was in the pool. The two girls got their hair braided for $10 each for just the front. If you go, make sure to check out the beautiful garden and the Mayan ruin section as they have about 50 relics. Were shoes as the paths are gravel! There is also a section with hammocks. If you go, make sure to explore the entire property! Using the internet coupon, admission for one adult and one child was $21 (no Tshirt or drink). Prices have gone up slightly from what I had printed from this board but they honored my printout. I have done "Mr Sanchos" in the past and would definitely recommend this tranquil and beautiful location; much less commercial and lots of variety (unless you are looking for water toys). One last tip, I would stick with beer or bottled water. The girls had one Shirley Temple each with ice and I had one margarita on the rocks. Two of us had very mild GI issues the next day but I would not risk more local water. Hope this info is helpful!

mnel thanks for all the great info.

Which snorkel stand had the guide and better rates? We will have gear for 3 of the 4, but will need life jackets and maybe fins. Are fins needed?

Was the hair braiding clean? I worry about lice.

just a note...be prepared for mosquitos if it has been raining.

We were there on November 4th. It had been raining and there were mosquitos everywhere. I hadn't planned for this, but I had some "DEET free" bug spray in my backpack that we put on.

They were particularly fond of me and despite my bug spray I got plenty of nasty bites. After that mess, I made sure to bring along the "Deep Woods OFF" that I had packed when we docked in Belize and Roatan. With the DEET, I only got one bite in each of those two ports.

Archived