Uxmal...Book through Carnival or Autoprogreso??

mjrich73

If I book through Carnival the price for my family would be $280, if I book through Autoprogreso the price would be $168. I know the boat is guaranteed to not leave me if I book through Carnival...however, does anyone have any experience with taking Autoprogreso? I have read that they are the same tour company that Carnival uses. Is it possible I will end up going with the tour from the boat, even if I book directly through Autoprogreso?:confused:

We will be in Progreso next week and are planning to use Auto-Progreso based on many recommendations from our last cruise (Feb 2009). They are used to the cruise ship schedules and wouldn't be in business very long if they weren't getting people back to their ships on time. I hear they are very reliable. I will let you know how it goes when we get back (Nov. 16th)

We booked with Autoprogreso $49 and they confirmed with 48hrs and will be waiting for us at the pier with a sign. There was is a minimum of 6 people to go. We are not worried about making it back in time as they are reliable.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from using Autoprogreso to Uxmal. Met up with their Rep at the Pier, paid our $49 got our wrist band then headed to the shuttle for town. We were dropped off at the flea market and departed at 915 and arrive at 1045. We had a guided tour for about 1 1/2hrs then another 1hr to tour ourselves or have a snack at the resturant on-site. We departed at 130 and arrived back at the pier at 315p. We had to be on the ship at 330 for a 400 departure. Tour was very nice and the ruins were impressive. Make sure you bring water with you as it was hot.

• 1 month later...
We are planning to visit Uxmal when we cruise on the Triumph in March. Should I

book the excursion in advance or wait until we get to Progresso?

It would be good to go ahead and send them an e-mail telling them that you would like to go. Tell them what ship you will be on. They will respond back with confirmation and instructions when and where to meet your bus. You will pay them when you get to Progreso.

My family went to the Uxmal ruins a few weeks ago and you are allowed to climb to the top. The ruins are very impressive and we enjoyed this excursion. It was not crowded like many of the other ruins. We had about an hour of free time to wander around. I would suggest taking water because you will do a lot of walking.

Autoprogreso/Uxmal tour info from this week---Feb. 1st!

We just got back and off our cruise TODAY! We pre-booked the Uxmal tour with Autoprogreso on their website and were there this past Monday. After we booked on their website, we received a reply confirmation with message within a few hours. It is $49, you pay when you meet your rep. at the pier, they put your wristband on, take you by bus to their "consolidation" point at the flea market in town (a block or two from the town end of pier). We had about 15-20 minutes to make a quick run through the flea market then we boarded a large, modern, air-conditioned bus for our journey to Uxmal. Geraldo, our wonderful and friendly guide, gave a very informative presentation during the ride, talking about the history of the Yucatan state, the Mayan people, and the Uxmal ruins. He graciously answered any questions. The ride from Progreso to the ruins was about 1 1/2 hours.

There were, I believe, only 4-5 large tour buses and maybe a dozen cars at the visitor center for Uxmal ruins---not crowded at all. The VC is very nice with clean restrooms, several small shops, a pretty central courtyard area, and a restaurant. Our group--31 people on our bus--chose to have lunch in the restaurant after the tour (sandwiches, nachos, salsa and chips, etc). My friend and I each had sandwiches, which came with fries, and bottled Cokes. Our bill was about $12 each.

I must say that there were about 6-7 vendors set up outside the main building selling their wares, mainly blouses, shirts, tshirts and some souvenirs to the tourists. Every one of them was very aggresive in asking if you wanted to buy one of their items, sometimes several asking at the same time!, but would leave you alone if you just said no and KEPT ON WALKING!

Because of a temporary back problem which limited our walking abilities this trip, we did not get to see all the grounds and buildings on the tour this trip. I would love to come back again someday to see all of Uxmal and would certainly use Autoprogreso. Our email rep. was Christy, who responded quickly (always within a day) to all our emails---questions and confirmation---and even sent an email several days before our cruise departed to make sure we were still on for our tour; I think we actually booked the tour with them about 3-4 weeks before our cruise. When we arrived at the designated fountain in the Progreso pier terminal shops area, she was there with a large sign with our names to meet us. Very sweet lady. And Geraldo was a wonderful guide. Enjoy your trip to Uxmal!

I hope to post more about this; as soon as I regain my "land legs". We debarked this morning and drove 7 1/2 hours home from Mobile to Nashville and I am sitting here rocking and wobbling so bad I can hardly type! It feels like my house is the ship since I can't walk a straight line and I'm high-stepping every step; and, no, I don't drink......!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, one followup to this. How is the road? I ask because we did an hour and half bus ride (each way) in Jamaica that several of us weren't sure we would survive (lots of very twisty roads and a driver going as fast as he could). :eek:

The other option, Dzibilchaltun, doesnt seem as elaborate as Uxmal but not as far. if the rides is reasonable, Uxmal seems like the better option.

Just got back from using Autoprogreso to Uxmal. Met up with their Rep at the Pier, paid our $49 got our wrist band then headed to the shuttle for town. We were dropped off at the flea market and departed at 915 and arrive at 1045. We had a guided tour for about 1 1/2hrs then another 1hr to tour ourselves or have a snack at the resturant on-site. We departed at 130 and arrived back at the pier at 315p. We had to be on the ship at 330 for a 400 departure. Tour was very nice and the ruins were impressive. Make sure you bring water with you as it was hot.

15 minutes does NOT seem like a very big window...

can you give me some more information...please (anyone)

are there bathroom "facitlities" along the way?

also there is some different travel times and some are saying shuttle vans while others are saying busses...i am so confused...

Thanks, one followup to this. How is the road? I ask because we did an hour and half bus ride (each way) in Jamaica that several of us weren't sure we would survive (lots of very twisty roads and a driver going as fast as he could). :eek:

The other option, Dzibilchaltun, doesnt seem as elaborate as Uxmal but not as far. if the rides is reasonable, Uxmal seems like the better option.

The highway from Progreso to Uxmal was excellent. And the ride was excellent. It is mostly flat all the way and straight. The only curves was going up a hill about 1/2 hour or so before arriving at Uxmal. The driver took it fairly fast but we never felt unsafe and did not meet any other cars on the short portion of road---only lasted about 5-10 minutes, maybe. The only stop we made was at an overlook on the top of this "hill". Not sure if there were restrooms; the owner did have a very small selection of jewelry for sale. There was a small cactus garden beside where we stopped. The view was the main reason for stopping.

This trip was with Autoprogreso.

No one got car sick on the bus. This is a big, comfy, air-conditioned Greyhound-type bus. Very smooth riding. Although I did not use it, we were told after boarding that there is a restroom in the back of the bus. These large buses generally have one. So, we did not make restroom stops along the way.

Archived