Parking recommendations

swoggy

When it comes to parking the car whilst taking a P&O ship over the Christmas Holidays would some of you please recommend/advise the best option.

Is the company advertised in the brochure the simplest to use ..... I last went on a cruise as a teenager in '79 and at Southampton I've got the memory of us parking our car at one end of a 'Hangar' and then just walking to the other side were the ship was for us to board. Has anything changed.

How close is the parking from the ship, can the luggage be dropped off near to the equivalent of 'check-in'.

I want to avoid the nightmare documentaries were your car is Rallied to be dumped in some far off field with no security or used by the employees.

Looking forward to some happy, informative experiences. :)

If you want to park at the docks then the only option is to use CPS, who operate valet parking

http://www.candps.com/

The way this works is you drive up to the terminal as directed by the ground staff. Your luggage is taken out of your car, (make sure your labels are on before you leave home) you hand over your keys to a nice lady who gives you a receipt and then you walk into the terminal to check in with your hand luggage. Your car is taken away and parked by CPS staff.

On your return, you collect your luggage in the baggage hall, go through customs, go to the CPS desk, hand in your receipt and they give you your keys and tell you where your car is parked. Depending which terminal you are at, it is either alongside or just across the road. If you arrive back at a different terminal, then your car is moved to await you at that terminal.

Its a very good and efficient system, altough its bit pricy if you have to pay there are often many offers that give your free parking.

Brian

Like many others we've had good experiences with CPS, in all aspects of their operation (luggage handling, check-in) as well as with car parking. I don't know what the price is - we've always qualified for free parking.

One thing I will say in reply to the 'rallying' point you raised. The CPS staff we've ever encountered have all been people 'of a certain age'; in fact we've often wondered if they make a point of employing (fit) pensioners. Given that by definition it's part-time work, for 8 months or so of the year only, that would make sense. The point of all this is that these have always seemed to me to be the last people in the world who are going to start mistreating your car, your bags or anything else.

Thank you Guys for your quick replies.

You put my fears at rest, it sounds like a really well run operation and the £195 no longer seems as steep. I booked this direct with P&O so have no TA to try it on with.

I have questions for other parts of the forum on currency and excursions etc and hope to meet you again. Cheers !!

I've used the CPS parking services car parks 9 times now in the past 3 years on cruises from 2 to 16 nights. Always prompt and professional, admin paperwork is sent to you before you go - a key fob to attach just your car key to with your car reg on, and a sticker for the ship you are sailing from to attach to windscreen.

The car parks are very close to the disembarkation hall, and there are plenty of luggage trollies available to wheel cases out to the car-key hut where you collect yours keys.

Here is a photo showing just how close the car park is from the ship.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Oriana23May2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqh5Ye3pN7sEQ#5342464182438877522

Archived