Shore Excursions on your own?

katandbud

We are planning to cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya, and are trying to decide wether to book through the cruise line, or on our own.

I have read several things online about dishonest business owners in Mexico in the car rental business, and taxis tring to overcharge , etc. So, we thought it would be best to book through the ship, but the prices seem so inflated if you book through the cruise line.

Has anyone done shore excursions in these places on your own, and how was your experience?

Thanks alot for the input!

Kathy

Last summer we took a taxi to downtown Cozmuel. We just went shopping. We have seen the ruins and they don't change. There are gobs of taxis waiting right outside the port. If you decide to go shopping and want cheaper rates that on the strip, walk in away from the water. We were curious and found it a lot cheaper in there. I think the taxi was pretty cheap for the four of us. Can't remember the price. Maybe $10?

I have spent a lot of time in Mexico and have found no more dishonest business people there than in the US! It seems the cruise lines are the ones ripping us off with their inflated prices;) I realize the "what if I miss the ship" element is gone when you book a ship's excursion, but with some planning you will be fine. The cab drivers we have encountered have been hard-working, honest people who are just trying to make a living.

Paradise Beach is great, cheap fun-otherwise go to the Ports of Call board for your ports and check out other ideas. You'll have a great time:)

Don't worry. Cozumel and Costa Maya are easy ports to do on your own, of course, depending on what you want to do. Taxi prices are fixed in Cozumel and are posted on a board near the taxi area.........just be sure to confirm the price before you get in the cab so there will be no problems. In Cozumel, we went to Chankanaab and had a great time. In Costa Maya, we just hung out at the beach to the right of the pier in the morning. Around lunch time, went back to the ship to change and eat and then went back out to explore the shopping area. Be sure to check out the ports of call boards so you can see what these ports have to offer.

We were in Coz this past Thursday on the NCL Sun. This was our 6th time. It is one of the simplest 'do it yourself' ports on the cruise circuit. We book our car rental online with Avis. A mid-size car cost us $33. The first thing we do is drive away from as far from the ports as we can get. This past Thursday had 9 ships at port. We're beach people and have found the best beach to be Chen Rio. Six of us had lobster, shrimp and more Sol's then we care to count and the bill was under $100 with tip. We could not finish all of the food, way too much! We returned the rental to Avis 'downtown' office and shopped in the backstreets around the square, once again away from the crowds. Needless to say, we did very well with our purchases of silver and artwork. Returned to the ship with an hour to spare. ;)

we rented a vehicle just off the ship, 764.00 pesos sounded like alot 75.00 dollars, but your credit card company will do all the exchange rate stuff for you . we paid for the insurance in cash 15.00 for peace of mind. i'm pretty sure where that money went. trust your instincts when renting ask for a reliable car. then go enjoy the island. we felt safe driving around, never too far from a crowd. go to both sides of the island if you rent a car for yourself. have fun

Archived