Brilliance of the Seas vets: Will you return to Royal Caribbean?

jp45atcc

Brilliance of Seas vets: Will you return to Royal Caribbean?

After being on the Oct. 13-25 sailing from Barcelona, I have mixed feelings about Royal Caribbean. Absolutely no human controls the weather, of course, but I feel like communication about our late departure and particularly our late return was so poor that it exasperated an already bad situation. While (I'm convinced) RC executives debated compensation and other legal issues, hours passed, leaving passengers so little time to try to reach airlines, hotels and family. A change in course means a change in hours, and that should have been shared immediately with the passengers. The cost to change get-home arrangements was phenomenal - often far, far more than the cruise line offered. And to make matters worse, some of the computers were out of order at such a challenging time. Overall, the Brilliance experience was wonderful. It's a shame to let such an episode shade perception of Royal Caribbean, but I'm afraid it does. How do other veterans of this cruise feel about Royal Caribbean?

I already booked two more this week, yes they maybe didn't announce it the minute they knew but I believe they were doing a ton a behind the scenes things to make sure things went as smoothly as possible. Now before you accuse me of being a cheerleader it cost me $4500 because of the delay with fees, fare difference, hotels, and food. I was unable to get out until Wednesday.

I think they did the best they could under the circumstances and I have no idea how anyone would think that any other line would do it differently or better.

While I was not on your cruise, what sadly happened to you can occur on any means of transportation. You can protect yourself in the future several ways. First would be to purchase travel insurance. Secondly would be to purchase the air portion from the cruiseline. I know this usually costs a little more than buying directly from the airline, but when something goes wrong it is then the responsibility of the cruise company to reroute your air, and provide overnight hotels, if necessary, at no additional cost to you.

While I was not on your cruise, what sadly happened to you can occur on any means of transportation. You can protect yourself in the future several ways. First would be to purchase travel insurance. Secondly would be to purchase the air portion from the cruiseline. I know this usually costs a little more than buying directly from the airline, but when something goes wrong it is then the responsibility of the cruise company to reroute your air, and provide overnight hotels, if necessary, at no additional cost to you.

I would never book air through the lines, in my experience it has always been WAY higher and you have little control.

I was on this cruise also and booked the air through the cruiseline - it did us absolutely no good. They chartered two planes to go back to JFK, one plane took off on time at about 10:15 am, but the plane I was scheduled to be on did not take off until 11 pm that same night - we had no communication from the cruiseline until someone from the charter airline called them - it was not a good experience. Granted we did not have to pay a large sum of money to reschedule flights - but I would have rather paid the money to not sit at the Barcelona airport for 18 hours and get back to JFK at 2 am the following morning.

I was on this cruise also and booked the air through the cruiseline - it did us absolutely no good. They chartered two planes to go back to JFK, one plane took off on time at about 10:15 am, but the plane I was scheduled to be on did not take off until 11 pm that same night - we had no communication from the cruiseline until someone from the charter airline called them - it was not a good experience. Granted we did not have to pay a large sum of money to reschedule flights - but I would have rather paid the money to not sit at the Barcelona airport for 18 hours and get back to JFK at 2 am the following morning.

I said this on the roll call, I still don't see how you can blame RCCL for the flights? If you hire a limo, do you get guaranteed no traffic on the roads. Of course not, so how does RCCL chartering a plane hold them liable for the traffic at JFK that delayed your departure. It shouldn't.

After being on the Oct. 13-25 sailing from Barcelona, I have mixed feelings about Royal Caribbean. Absolutely no human controls the weather, of course, but I feel like communication about our late departure and particularly our late return was so poor that it exasperated an already bad situation. While (I'm convinced) RC executives debated compensation and other legal issues, hours passed, leaving passengers so little time to try to reach airlines, hotels and family. A change in course means a change in hours, and that should have been shared immediately with the passengers. The cost to change get-home arrangements was phenomenal - often far, far more than the cruise line offered. And to make matters worse, some of the computers were out of order at such a challenging time. Overall, the Brilliance experience was wonderful. It's a shame to let such an episode shade perception of Royal Caribbean, but I'm afraid it does. How do other veterans of this cruise feel about Royal Caribbean?

We were on the cruise before you and feel the same way - they knew at least day before they made passengers aware the ship wasn't going to arrive in Barcelona on time.

Can i ask what ports you missed and when were you due to get back to Barcelona and when did you arrive back into Barcelona ?

jj.....

I'm not faulting RCI for the delay in the flight. But I think that there should have been communication from them because we had no idea what was going on while we were sitting at the airport all that time.

I suspect the Barcelona based RCCL staff was overwhelmed with getting the next group of passengers on who had already missed a day.

We were due to get back to Barcelona early Sunday morning, October 25. We got back later Sunday - maybe around 7 pm (not sure of exact time). The only port we missed was Cannes. It originally was supposed to be the first port, but because we boarded late on the 13th, we missed it, and then they said we would stop there on the last day before returning to Barcelona (which originally was a sea day). But because of two storms they were trying to avoid, we ended up at sea for the last 3 days and did not stop in Cannes.

I do agree with you that I'm sure they knew that we would get in late well before they let the passengers know.

We were on the cruise before you and feel the same way - they knew at least day before they made passengers aware the ship wasn't going to arrive in Barcelona on time.

Can i ask what ports you missed and when were you due to get back to Barcelona and when did you arrive back into Barcelona ?

jj.....

We were ALL on the same cruise. The cruisers after us are not returning until tommorrow

We were due to get back to Barcelona early Sunday morning, October 25. We got back later Sunday - maybe around 7 pm (not sure of exact time). The only port we missed was Cannes. It originally was supposed to be the first port, but because we boarded late on the 13th, we missed it, and then they said we would stop there on the last day before returning to Barcelona (which originally was a sea day). But because of two storms they were trying to avoid, we ended up at sea for the last 3 days and did not stop in Cannes.

I do agree with you that I'm sure they knew that we would get in late well before they let the passengers know.

Oh i'm mixed up thats the same cruise as me lol

jj......

jj.......

Coxswain was on our cruise he is mixed up, the cruise after us will not return until tommorrow.

I suppose, given that I have completed 38 cruises thus far (the majority of which have been with RCI), that I may be one of the veterans to whom your question is directed but I'm not sure that I can give you the answer you may be wanting to hear.

Sorry to be so blunt about this but what difference would it have made even if you had been informed earlier of the delayed arrival? - you were still going to be late and would still have had to make other plans as a result. I do think it extremely unfortunate that many people were financially disadvantaged and incurred the inconvenience of making alternative arrangements to get home but that is the risk all of us take whenever we travel anywhere and by whatever means.

My next sailing is on Brilliance of the Seas on 18 November and I am looking forward to it come what may.

Yes: We missed Cannes because of delay in sailing. Then we missed it again because of the weather delay. We were about 14 hours late getting into Barcelona. We missed our flight, were offered business class seats at $3,500 for each of the three of us and instead stayed in Barcelona, one night on the ship and two in a hotel. Our flight home added more than $1,200, and other charges on top of that. I did have insurance, so I don't expect to be out a great deal. The primary frustration was the lack of communication.

Yes: We missed Cannes because of delay in sailing. Then we missed it again because of the weather delay. We were about 14 hours late getting into Barcelona. We missed our flight, were offered business class seats at $3,500 for each of the three of us and instead stayed in Barcelona, one night on the ship and two in a hotel. Our flight home added more than $1,200, and other charges on top of that. I did have insurance, so I don't expect to be out a great deal. The primary frustration was the lack of communication.

See I think they did an excellent job with communication with the announcements, letters and Gordons little show on channel 14.

See I think they did an excellent job with communication with the announcements, letters and Gordons little show on channel 14.

Apart from claims which i have a letter which states any claims should be sent to Miami. I did receive a phonecall from RCCL saying claims could be sent to the UK office to.

There was also problems as the ship docked as people wanting to leave to catch flights got caught up with passengers wanting to go into town for dinner. In fact the harbour authority said they needed the deck cleared at one stage before they'd dock the ship. On top of that there wasn't any taxi's waiting for people desperated to get to the airport.

jj........

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but the folks currently on the Oct 25th cruise left a day late and because of that and some subsequent weather issues they have missed (I think) 4 ports. My parents and about 20 friends are on the ship now and while I don't have the details of which ports were missed. The communication I got from them was 4 ports missed but still having a good time despite it all. I think they are using all their OBC at the bar :rolleyes: I'm sure someone from the group will post better details sooner or later!

I'm afraid you have committed the mortal sin of speaking ill of "their beloved cruise line". Good luck jp45apcc and I will pray for you. J.;)

Apart from claims which i have a letter which states any claims should be sent to Miami. I did receive a phonecall from RCCL saying claims could be sent to the UK office to.

There was also problems as the ship docked as people wanting to leave to catch flights got caught up with passengers wanting to go into town for dinner. In fact the harbour authority said they needed the deck cleared at one stage before they'd dock the ship. On top of that there wasn't any taxi's waiting for people desperated to get to the airport.

jj........

I was in the dining room at that point, so was not thre, but they should have given priority to those trying to get off to catch a flight and made separate lines.

Archived