Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean 12/13 - 12/20 First Timer Questions!

Ashleyyy

Hey everyone! My DH and I are taking the Victory's cruise to the Southern Caribbean. It's going to be our first cruise. :D

This is our itinerary:

San Juan

St. Thomas

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

Antigua

St. Kitts

San Juan

We haven't booked any excursions yet. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I'm so excited! We booked it nearly 10 months ago, so it feels like we've been waiting forever.

Since we are first timers, what do we wear for the "formal nights"? DH isn't really a tux/suit kind of guy. Nor do I have any sort of prom looking dress. I've been keeping an eye out, but haven't found anything that would suit us. I have some nice dresses, but I don't think they're exactly formal. DH has some really nice button up shirts, but I don't think he has slacks - just jeans. :confused: Crap!

I've read some things on sneaking in booze, what is the suggested way on how to go about doing that?

Thanks everyone!

Have you searched for "all things victory" there is a long thread named that. There is lots if great pictures and info there. There are also some great reviews about it on this forum. Just use the search function. Good luck and have a great time. We are on this same itinerary in Feb (with the change of losing Antigua and replacing it with St Maarten).:D

I hope you love the S. Caribbean as much as I do. Since this is your first - any of the excursions will be a treat - just choose what you'd like to do and what fits your "purse". Don't fret about the clothes - wearing a nice dress and dress shirt with jeans is acceptable as long as you are comfortable. It is now elegant night vs formal night.

Have a great time and come back to let us know how you fared.

Hello Ashley! My husband and I did this same itinerary back in February and absolutely loved it! We've been to St. Thomas a few times and I recommend doing the St. John's Trunk Bay & Beach (if still available), the Shipwreck Cove on Castaway Girl (snorkeling over a shipwreck and then unlimited rum punch on the ride back) or do the Skyride to Paradise Point. It is not far from the port and is easily in walking distance. It was about $22 pp but I heard if you go through Carnival it's actually only $19. We're doing the skyride this next time around.

St. Lucia we did "Pigeon Island Kayaking" tour that actually had more than just kayaking. After we kayaked around the jetty, we arrived at Pigeon Island and climed the ruins to the top. A beautiful view was waiting up top. Then we all climed down and over to some other ruins with a deep blue beach area next to it. It was a great tour.

I have a ton of pictures, of the entire crusie, if you'd like to see. You can email me at kdcrenshaw2005@yahoo.com.

Formal night: I would say a cocktail dress would work as well for 'elegant night' or whatever they call it now. I see women in sundresses all the way up to formal long ballroom attire for elegant night. If you can, I'd go to Ross/TJMaxx or someplace like that to get a cute cheap dress.

As for booze, most people buy rumrunners, which is not the alcoholic drink you may be thinking of. You can find it at rum runner flask dot com. I might be investing in this myself but have had luck with mouthwash bottles (only done that once so far).

No need to sneak booze in your luggage. You can purchase any

alcohol you want as you enter the ship. The liquor store is located

just after you check in. All you need to do is put it in a bag and

carry it on. You'll have no problem with security if they cannot

"see" it. This is the only port that I know of where you can do

that.

A "basic black dress will work fine for formal nite.

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting on the Victory 1 week from today, this is our schedule, hope it give you some ideas:

Saturday:

Arrive SJU Saturday 2:30pm stay at HoJo hang out in OSJ. Street food and then Dinner somewhere.

Sunday:

SJU- Breakfast at La Bombonera. Check into boat around Noon. Stop at Duty Free for "supplies". Lunch on boat. Check into room, drop off "supplies". Walk around OSJ.

Monday:

St Thomas- Island Girl Snorkel trip 3 ½ hours in morning (9-12:30). Lunch on boat. Skyride to Paradise point.

Tuesday:

Dominica- Antours combo tour Emerald Pool and River Tubing.

Wednesday:

Barbados- 5 hour 2 stop turtle snorkel with lunch and beach with Shasa in morning (9:30-3:30).

Thursday:

St Lucia- Cosol 5-6 hours tour of Island.

Friday:

Antigua- Antigua Paddles kayak/snorkel/eco Bird Island hike. 4 hours in morning. Hang out on boat in afternoon.

Saturday:

St Kitts- Beach bars at S Frigate Bay by taxi.

Sunday:

San Juan: Breakfast on boat, stay until they kick us off. Send luggage home thru Express Luggage Service. Lunch somewhere in OSJ, flight leaves at 4:30pm

I have done this cruise twice in the last 2 yrs. You will have a great time.

For elegant nite I dressed in nice slacks and button down shirt. You won'r feel underdressed.

I agree with Wentworth about the booze. Both times I had bottles in my backpack and a case of beer in small gym bag. No problem going through security.

In Barbados the catamaran turtle tours are great. Two snorkel stops, lunch, and all you can drink. Don't forget a disposable underwater camera for this.

Have fun.

The southern Caribbean is the real deal! Sailed Victory in March and really want to do this itinerary again. Things I will always remember fondly:

Dominica: Titou Gorge

St Lucia: The Pitons by sea, Anse Des Pitons and Jalouise beach

St Kitts: The road to Cockleshell Beach, Caribbean Sea on one side and Atlantic on the other...stunning. Cockleshell beach was great!

The whole trip was memorable starting with a day in OSJ!

Have a blast..

Archived