Big Money on the High seas

emdia43

LOL.. I'm watching a travel channel program about living on a cruise ship. This one is named THE WORLD. Very interesting but they haven't told the price tag yet!:eek:

We saw The World docked in Vancouver a few years ago. Since then we know someone from Dallas who bought a residence on The World. Take a look in the World forum here on CC. Very intesting reading.

This show actually made me more nervous as a first time cruiser... it made me think that I shouldn't have booked and SA and maybe should have just booked a standard balcony because of all the additional costs.... kinda wish I hadn't watched it.:eek:

This show actually made me more nervous as a first time cruiser... it made me think that I shouldn't have booked and SA and maybe should have just booked a standard balcony because of all the additional costs.... kinda wish I hadn't watched it.:eek:

Which show scared you, and why? Are you afraid of overspending?

Holly

and then you have to use the company hired by The World to furnish & decorate the way you have chosen. They have school for children, but majority of owners are without them. But the price of gorceries at the store onboard, etc is beyond what I pay for NCL, even a suite.

Which show scared you, and why? Are you afraid of overspending?

Holly

Enjoyed the original airing last January, especially the end of the bar receipts falling well below but by end of cruise they were over the top. So giving cruisers what they want pays...

Cruise program is on Now on CNBC- 8p to 9p Eastern - it is set on NCL Pearl. I just realized it was showing. It is worth watching.

I think that it is a huge concern... In the show it mentioned that only the buffets are included in the cabin price, so if we want to eat elsewhere we have to pay an additional fee...and that could rack up quick.... just trying to get an accurate picture of how much we should budget for...

I think that it is a huge concern... In the show it mentioned that only the buffets are included in the cabin price, so if we want to eat elsewhere we have to pay an additional fee...and that could rack up quick.... just trying to get an accurate picture of how much we should budget for...

On NCL ships, there are 2 main dining rooms and the Blue Lagoon that are also no extra charge.

The other specialty dining room fees vary from $15 to $25 per person

That's not true. The two main dining rooms are free, as well as the buffets, the Blue Lagoon, and the Tapas bar (though not well advertised).

Prinsfamily: We are taking our first NCL in February, and don't plan on eating at any of the specialty restaurants. We figured we would get a good feel for the main dining venues that way. We will budget for a few DOD's, and have cash for some slot machines, pay a corkage fee for my cheap wine, but other than that, we don't expect spend a lot on board this trip.

You appear to be new to CC, so I would spend some time reading others reviews, regarding the specific ship you will be on, as well as the ports of call for your itinerary. There is a wealth of info there, and you will read the good and the bad. It should help comfort you, many don't pay for the special dining, and seem to really enjoy their cruises just as well.

I taped the CNBC show, though I had seen it before. Like another poster said, it was what convinced us to try NCL. I liked that it was not a puff piece like you might see on the Travel Channel, where only the positives are highlighted.

Holly

Prinsfamily, no need to be scared. Your onboard expenses are controlled by YOU...if you don't want a huge bill at the end of your cruise, stay away from bingo, the art auctions, the jewelry kiosk, the spa, and most importantly, the BAR. If you want to drink, bring your hooch in rum runners. Do your research before hand, do your own thing in ports and stay away from the expensive ship organized excursions. If you want to visit the spa, wait till the end of the cruise when they run specials. There are lots of ways to control spending without feeling like you missed out.

Not including gratuities, our bill for our last 7 day cruise was $250 for 2 people and that included visits to specialty restaurants and a spa visit.

Being in a suite will entitle you to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, but no dinners in the specialty restaurants. If you must try a specialty restaurant, try the Italian one, it is only $10pp, or the tex mex or chinese which are $15pp.

Is Le Bistro still $15 or did it go up recently to $20?

Great show, I liked it, very interesting on what goes on behind the scenes, to make a cruise ship run and to make us cruisers happy.

Last night on the National Geographic Channel when I was flipping the channels, they had a program on about the RCCL Freedom Of The Seas; the show was called “World’s Largest Cruise Ship”. They filmed a New Years cruise. It was also quite good and interesting.

and then you have to use the company hired by The World to furnish & decorate the way you have chosen. They have school for children, but majority of owners are without them. But the price of gorceries at the store onboard, etc is beyond what I pay for NCL, even a suite.

BUT spending the $1 Million would get you a Condo on the ship that you are the actual owner of. Some people actually live and do their work from that ship. Some other owners spend part of their time on the ship and rent out their condo for weekly and monthly cruisers to use. It is not a traditional cruise experience.

Given the opportunity....I would buy on there in a heartbeat, but I haven't wond the lottery yet.

BUT spending the $1 Million would get you a Condo on the ship that you are the actual owner of. Some people actually live and do their work from that ship. Some other owners spend part of their time on the ship and rent out their condo for weekly and monthly cruisers to use. It is not a traditional cruise experience.

Given the opportunity....I would buy on there in a heartbeat, but I haven't wond the lottery yet.

But the scarier part is the annual dues upwards of $40,000 per year.

Archived