Another gratuity question?

The $1000-2500 per month isn't a lot here in the states, but in their home countries, it's a lot of money and worth the sacrafice to be away from family, etc. for 6 months at a time.

Unless you are in a country where cost of living is higher than in the US.

It doesn't mean they are out of sh1t, just not as deep in it. This is from doing dollar for dollar real life living and comparison, not from research and hearsay. Sometimes you can only stretch the US$ in the US. Think about medical care in the US and how much it would be in one of these countries, if you make it to the doctor. The US dollar doesn't buy a whole anywhere, unless you are booking a cruise. Howver, I would rather float on the top of cr@p than be buried in it, and therefore the choice:D Cost of living is not always lower in all the countries represented on board.

On another note, why do so many people take "suggestions" and "guidelines" to be "rules" and "instructions"? :confused:

Because it's a helluva lot easier than toting my calculator around on vacation, trying to figure out what portion of my daily tips I should give to the person that brought me a lemonade in windjammer for lunch, after I tipped for breakfast room service, plus had the room made up...

for me, screw it, this is what the cruise line suggests, that's good enuf for me. I wouldn't call it Rules or Instructions, but I am glad for the guidelines. Hard to figure out how to tip 10-20% (OF WHAT??) for a cabin steward.

For vacation, give me simplicity so I can get on with HAVING FUN.

Archived