Looking for the BEST of local cuisine in Costa Maya

kirbyhall

I will be arriving via the Valor in Feb 2010.. I'm a simple man with a very big desire to experience local food at its best. I like spicy but not over burning of the senses but heat and flavor are two peas in a pod!

I like my salsa rather hot, my guacamole as fresh as fresh can be and I like being treated to food that would never remind me of taco bell or even a good sit down joint in the USA!

I'm more than willing to leave port and would love to kick back in a little hole in the wall joint and enjoy some AWESOME local treats!!

Any advice is welcomed and I promise I will thank you as I sit on the ships throne at sea!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Kirby:D

• 1 month later...

As no one else has replied in over a month, I'll take a stab at this.

I don't believe there is anything specific to this area, that can't be found at other ports on this side of Mexico.

The Caribbean lobsters will be in season. There is a load of conch off the reefs in the area. The fish of course is quite fresh.

I can't specifically give you a cafe recommendation there, as I haven't been there since the hurricane blew through. I have been in the area however by land and by sea.

Dishes I look for are:

Tik n Xik, a filet or whole fish grilled with an achiote and sour orange marinade.

Most Cocktails and ceviches are good. If you like everything, order it "Mixto". will give you a variety of what is available.

Tamales are done up in banana leaves, and are native to the area.

Good Tacos al Pastor may be available. Similiar to the fish above.

There are much better places to eat Mayan in Coz. and Playa del Carmen, imho.

But few places rival the beach, and a cold bucket of Sol cervasa on that beach.

Hugh in Dallas.

I'm curious...elsewhere, particularly in the southern Caribbean, we've been warned off of eating locally caught reef fish due to the potential for ciguatera poisoning (apparently, fish that feed on the reef build up this toxin in their system, making them dangerous to eat). The bigger the fish, the more likely it's loaded with the toxin (grouper and sea bass are supposedly especially toxic, because of their size).

Is this a concern with locally caught fish in the Costa Maya/Belize area as well?

Archived