If you have a Joey-safe please read this

leighi123

i just wanted to share this information with everyone so you can keep your children safe!

This is the product I am refering too - http://www.joey-safe.com/

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to explain everything!

It doesnt meet NHSTA standards, which is the national testing for carseat/car saftey devices - its considered an 'aftermarket product' for which there are NO laws regulating testing. Basically they can throw it againt a wall and say 'well we tested it', when really they did nothing. So even though it says its regulated/tested, its not tested by any offical standard - similar to products such as bundle me, mighty tite, and those strap covers or headrests you can buy at baby stores.

There site says:

The FreedomRide has been tested and conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Standards

They've claimed testing and compliance that doesn't exist, note they said 'all applicable' standards - because its not actually a carseat, there are none! Another way you can tell is because they do not use any of the wording that is standard for all carseat/vest instructions.

Also, if you think about how carseats work, they protect the child by keeping the child still/correctly positioned. The joey thing is DESIGNED in a way that the child can move around, they claim that is a positive thing, but if you think about it, if the child isnt correctly positioned, they arent going to be safe.

another thing is that there is no upper torso protection - yes there are straps over the childs shoulders, but it is all attached to a seatbelt, nothing above their shoulders like a carseat. If you look at the RideSafer vest - http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ which IS an approved/tested saftey devise origionaly designed for speical needs, but now availible for general purchace (there are crash test videos on their site) - you can see the difference in quality, as well as the fact that the Ridesafer requires a top teather, which is what actually protects the childs spine/neck in a crash. The joey thing is the equivilant of putting your child in a lap belt at best.

Looking at the pictures on how it works (I have not seen one in person), it looks to me like it is a 5pt harness, that only attaches to the seatbelt with a loop at the back. So its not really a 5pt harness, because there is only 1 point where it is actually attached to the car. A 5pt harness connects at each of the 5points to the carseat, and therefore to the car

And again reading the directions, the installation is very strange, following their directions, the child would be able to move all over the place. And then it suggests using a locking clip, which is a pre-crash positioning device on actual carseats, its not designed to function in the way they seem to want it to, it would just fly off in a crash leaving the seatbelt loose.

Another thing thats scary is that its rated from 20lbs - what 1yr old would sit correctly? none I know! the AAP standards now say children should rearface to the limits of a convertable seat, which is at least 2yrs old and 30lbs, up to 45lbs depening on the seat.

A regular carseat is more of a pain to carry, but it is MUCH safer, and if your child is 30lbs+, you have the option of using the Ridesafer, which is actually approved.

I would suggest throwing the joey in the trash! (or perhaps send it back?)

Sorry for rambling - LMK if you have any questions! I am a certified carseat tech, and so I know what Im talking about!

I do have a few other questions for you. Compact, easy to travel with seats are important to us as well as safety. There were only a few other options that actually seemed portable. What is your opinion of the other three that I know of: Eddie Bauer Portable Car Seat B Selection v.s Sit and Stroll or the Ride Safer Vest. Are there any others that you would recommend? I was actually told that they don't recommend using your primary car seat for travel if you frequently use it on an airplane. As damage to your primary car seat (piling other luggage on top of it, rolling around in the storage compartments below and turnstyle damage, may render your car seat unsafe when you return. The other problem I had with bringing a "real car seat" was it being approved for air travel too. If I purchase another I would want it to be approved for both car and the airplane. Do you have any other recommendations?

I agree, I have heard horrible things about the joey-safe. We just bought a cheepie costco scenara from walmart for 35.00 to travel with. Its lighter weight and easier to carry than our Britax decathlon. Not the most comfortable seat but great for travel and as an extra seat to have around.

I do have a few other questions for you. Compact, easy to travel with seats are important to us as well as safety. There were only a few other options that actually seemed portable. What is your opinion of the other three that I know of: Eddie Bauer Portable Car Seat B Selection v.s Sit and Stroll or the Ride Safer Vest. Are there any others that you would recommend? I was actually told that they don't recommend using your primary car seat for travel if you frequently use it on an airplane. As damage to your primary car seat (piling other luggage on top of it, rolling around in the storage compartments below and turnstyle damage, may render your car seat unsafe when you return. The other problem I had with bringing a "real car seat" was it being approved for air travel too. If I purchase another I would want it to be approved for both car and the airplane. Do you have any other recommendations?

True about the airplane thing, actually I NEVER check my carseat in, that is dangerous because who knows what they do to it. The safest thing to do is bring it on the plane and have your child ride in it, its more comfy for them anyways, and then you know it wasnt damaged. The next best thing is to gate check it. But yeah I would never use a seat that had been through baggage control, Im 23 and have been on 200+ flights in my life, Ive see how my bags come out at the other end! One time at the bottom of the pile and your child goes flying in a crash :eek:

Dont bother with the Eddie Bauer one - its a big pain in the butt to install safely, even for techs. Plus its not at all comfy.

Sit and stoll - its bulky/heavy/outgrown quickly and you have to have looong seatbelts to install it b/c it goes over the top of the seat. It can be tricky to install in some cars (for ANY carseat if you put your knee in it, or if your small enough sit in it while you pull the strap tight, that helps!). If you get one of these, buy it new, most of the used ones are expired b/c they stoped making them for a few years and are now making them again. Skymall has them.

Ridesafer - have to be 30lbs min (my son is too small!), I would highly recomend it for ease of use/portability, BUT it requires a top teather (for those of you who dont know, its that thing on top of, on the back of, behind, or on the floor behind your car's seat, it has a picture of a little anchor on it), The problem with this is that only new'ish cars require them, so if you are traveling somewhere where the cars are 10+ yrs old, you may not find one in that car. You can however request newer taxis sometimes.

The costco scenara is good - $35-50 and easy to find wherever they sell carseats. It is a regular seat but light weight - if your child is under 35lbs use it rearfacing (at any age), because it is outgrown VERY quick forward facing. it has a 40lb limit, BUT the harness strap slots are low, so kids outgrow it in height before weight - shoulder straps must be at or above the childs shoulders forward facing, rearfacing they need to be at or below their shoulders.

And the one Im getting - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Radian&x=19&y=21

It folds up, has straps (like a back pack), and is a low profile (i.e narrow) seat so good for fitting more than one person in the back seat. Only problem with it - it is expensive! There are 3 different ones, the only difference is the weight limits. It is one of the safest seats there is, steal frame on that thing!

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. I am leaning towards the ridesafer. However, my daughter will be 3 in Feb and is only 28.5 lbs. Do you think the pound and a half would make a difference for right now? We leave for our next cruise in 3 weeks, so unless I start giving her cheeseburgers she is unlikely to get to 30lbs before we go.:) Also, I saw that it needs a tether. I've never paid attention to whether taxi's have tethers or not, but if they had no shoulder/lap combo or a tether what then? Would using it minus the tether still be better than nothing?

I also saw the Tote N go but it seems similar to the Eddie Bauer so the same problems of installation may be present.

Do you use the Radian on the plane as well or the Cares thingee?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. I am leaning towards the ridesafer. However, my daughter will be 3 in Feb and is only 28.5 lbs. Do you think the pound and a half would make a difference for right now? We leave for our next cruise in 3 weeks, so unless I start giving her cheeseburgers she is unlikely to get to 30lbs before we go.:) Also, I saw that it needs a tether. I've never paid attention to whether taxi's have tethers or not, but if they had no shoulder/lap combo or a tether what then? Would using it minus the tether still be better than nothing?

I also saw the Tote N go but it seems similar to the Eddie Bauer so the same problems of installation may be present.

Do you use the Radian on the plane as well or the Cares thingee?

I thought I had responded but its not showing up.

I would use the Radian at least until she is 30lbs, you cant really use it under that weight b/c you wont be able to tighten it properly. The Radian works great on a plane forward facing, its big for rearfacing unless you are in 1st class!

CARES is ONLY for the plane, not safe in cars at all.

RideSafer is great for kids over 30lbs - cars/taxis newer than 2000 will have at least 1 top teather, older cars may or may not have it - it is required to use it with the vest.

Tote-n-go is outgrown really fast and is a big pain to install.

• 9 months later...

Just for anyones info... the original Freedomride/Joeysafe child safety harness, has meet and passed the testing requirements for the NTSB before it was stolen.... And yes I mean stolen and is being manufactured and sold without permission... The harness is patented by Robert Bolcerek, patent no. 4927211.... It has gone through the testing by the certifiying company of Arvin-Calspan...

So, I cannot and will not attest to the current product out there as to its manufacturing. So, some research is not fully looked into as to its history...

Robert has passed away and as his wife I can attest to this statement.

Any other questions feel free to ask!!

I agree, I have heard horrible things about the joey-safe. We just bought a cheepie costco scenara from walmart for 35.00 to travel with. Its lighter weight and easier to carry than our Britax decathlon. Not the most comfortable seat but great for travel and as an extra seat to have around.

We have the Cosco Scenara as well- these are used for travel & left in the garage for easy access for inlaws, sitters, etc-- in case they need to take the twins out unexpetedly

Archived