First time in Mexican Riviera

jfjudge

My husband and I are sailing on RCCL 3/5/10 to the Mexican Riviera. He will be using his power chair. Can anyone recommend some excursions we can take in Cabo, Puerto Villarta and Mazatlan? If we have to do manual wheelchair we will have one onboard also. Thanks

Not through the cruise lines at all. You need to make your own arrangements.

Can he transfer to a cab? That is your best bet in Mazatlan. There is one tour company there that advertises a lift "trolley" but it does not have any tie-downs, which makes it potentially very dangerous for someone in a chair, power or manual. If you can transfer to a cab, and take your manual chair, going into town to the Zona del Oro (Gold Zone) is fun as this is where the major hotels and shops are, and there are a few good museums and cultural sights in this area as well. You must take the tram from the ship to the port entrance area...it has a very steep ramp for wheelchairs and does not really work well for power chairs, but there is a small shopping area right at the pier entrance that is relatively accessible with a manual chair.

In Cabo, because it is a tender port, and often rough, it is very iffy being able to get off the ship at all. Be prepared to be prohibited by the ship's safety officer. If you can get ashore, then again, hiring a cab is your best bet for doing anything. It is nearly a mile into town, which is not completely accessible. I don't know any ship that will tender a power chair anymore, and you really need a manual chair ashore in Mexico due to the lack of many curb cuts and 1-2 steps into many shops, hotels, churches, etc. etc.

In Puerto Vallarta there are two lift van tour companies. I only recommend the one below....we have used them a number of times with good results. The other one does not have a raised roof van, just a van with a roof. We have had them take us to town for shopping, drop us off for an accessible restaurant, go to Mismaloya Beach Hotel for lunch, and visit several upscale resort areas for shopping, as well as a couple of accessible tequila factories. We still leave the power chair on the ship though for the same reasons above. They will pick you up right on the pier and the tour guides speak English.

Book early with Accessible Mexico (you don't have to pay until the day of the excursion) as they are popular and often book up. We have already booked with them for our next trip in April of 2010.

http://www.accesiblemexico.com/

If he can climb the steps into a regular tour bus, you are OK with ship's tours, but they have none with wheelchair lifts and it will vary if they are able to take the manual wheelchair on the bus or not. My mother cannot stand or walk, and transfers are difficult (we take a travel lift for the ship) so that is not an option for us.

Archived