Child wrist band for muster stations

southt00

My child didn't have a problem at all with the green bracelet on Carnival (which was put on her at the beginning of the cruise and had nothing to do with whether kids were in the kids' program or not). And she wasn't the type to wear jewelry, so go figure. But even if she didn't want to, it's the rules, so I wouldn't have tried a work around. To me, it's a safety issue. I was surprised that Princess didn't have them.

I get so amazed when I see kids not in a child safety seat or booster seat, knowing that they aren't big enough to wear just the shoulder straps alone. My girl felt embarassed in grade school because I required her to be in her booster seat. And a friend of hers was also forced to sit in one too by her parents. But it seemed many other kids in their school didn't (I worked the morning drop off line so I witnessed many a small kid getting out of a car without these seats). We didn't removed the booster seat until I checked with her pediatrician to make sure she was big enough.

crusinmama06: I just wanted to say that I realized on reading my post again that you might have interpreted it to be directed specifically at you. I apologize if that's how the whole post came across because that was not my intent. The only reason I quoted your post was my first comments about why I don't think it's telling others how to raise their children to want the parents to follow safety rules that affect everyone. The rest was my theory of how this kind of thing might affect others and wasn't meant to be a criticism of you at all. I hope that's how you read it, but thought maybe I should clarify.

beachchick

Actually, that's not exactly true. If the child is on the ship, then they are suppose to be wearing the bracelet. As beachchick said, the child could become separated from you in an emergency.

Hmm, makes you wonder why they don't pass out the bracelets at check-in then instead of waiting for the kids to present themselves at the kids club.

I'll have to keep that in mind for our next cruise in Feb- thanks for mentioning it, Michelle.

Hmm, makes you wonder why they don't pass out the bracelets at check-in then instead of waiting for the kids to present themselves at the kids club.

I'll have to keep that in mind for our next cruise in Feb- thanks for mentioning it, Michelle.

I know on this board we talk about so many cruise lines so I'll just say this is what happened on the RCCL, CCL and Disney ships that we were on....

On the 3 CCL ships we were on, there was a table set up right inside the ship. They beeped our cards and directed us to to the table where the kids were given the muster bracelets (by the camp carnival staff).

On Disney, we were given them in the terminal -- by the Disney camp staff.

On RCCL, they had a table set up on on the top of the gangway. So we were given the bracelets there.

So we never had to go to Camp to get our bracelet. :D

beachchick - I knew what you meant. :D

On our Carnival cruise in August, my kids received their bracelets at the muster drill.

When my son was 2 1/2, his bracelet came off in camp and they gave him a new one. Unfortunately, it had the wrong muster station on it. I would recommend not having it "loose" as there may be an error in having it replaced. Have it put on while you are there to observe and then keep it on.

My daughter wore hers for three weeks after we returned home and then only cut it off because of a "no jewelry" rule for soccer.

Hi:

I just read on another board that children must wear a wrist band with their muster station on it (Celebrity). Is this true?

My daughter absolutely refuses to wear those bracelets. We just got back for Disney where they were required for a special ticket event and even then, she refused to wear it. I had to get a special card for her. She is four. Advice?

Thanks!

Will she wear it around her ankle? As you can see in the photo below, this is what one girl did ...

B-IMG_0489.jpg

Take a look at the right ankle of the girl in the blue dress.

I know on this board we talk about so many cruise lines so I'll just say this is what happened on the RCCL, CCL and Disney ships that we were on....

On the 3 CCL ships we were on, there was a table set up right inside the ship. They beeped our cards and directed us to to the table where the kids were given the muster bracelets (by the camp carnival staff).

On RCCL, they had a table set up on on the top of the gangway. So we were given the bracelets there.

beachchick - I knew what you meant. :D

And Princess doesn't require them to wear one at all.

The HAL staff had them on my boys so fast at check-in, I wasn't even sure what they were at first. They were very efficient! No discussion about wrist/ankle, loose/tight, they just strapped them around the kids wrists and it was all done. I think check-in makes sense, as that way they can't miss anyone.

(No, my boys don't have any special issues, so that approach worked fine for our family, and we're thankful for that. YMMV)

Hi:

I just read on another board that children must wear a wrist band with their muster station on it (Celebrity). Is this true?

My daughter absolutely refuses to wear those bracelets. We just got back for Disney where they were required for a special ticket event and even then, she refused to wear it. I had to get a special card for her. She is four. Advice?

Thanks!

my daughter HATED it too (carnival) but i managed to get an extra band from the person in charge and put it around her bears' neck (his wrist and ankle were too small... he's her lovey... he goes everywhere with us) and once she saw that Bear had to wear it, she only managed to break out of it twice.

• 1 month later...

This will be our first time cruising, so it's good to know about the bracelet for the kids. For added protection, I may also get the kids safety tattoos again- we used these on our recent trip to Disney World- it is a hopsital grade tattoo that is able to be written on with a special pen. We would write our cell phone #s on them in case we were ever separated- maybe writing the muster # and cabin # would be a good idea (my kids will keep their bracelets on with no problems- my DD will think it is some fancy new jewlery- and if I tell her Hannah Montanna wears one I may never get it off of her ;)), but for the parents whose kids may fight them on the bracelet... maybe this would be a possible solution... (or sharpie on a piece of tape stuck to the backs of their shirts works great also!:p)

http://www.safetytat.com

Safe Sailing!

Take care,

Diana

Most of the lines that require them (which in my experience has been RCCI, NCL, and X) have a table at embarkation where members of the crew explain the process and place the appropriate bands on the child. It is only if they show up at the muster drill or the kids club without one that they are "handed out" elsewhere.

If your child has a true sensory disorder, most lines will be understanding and work with you to come up with a mutually satisfactory solution. It is up to the crew on the ship to make that determination however and you may find some ship's crews taking a harder or softer line on the issue.

The other simple solution is to keep the child out of the kids clubs. No clubs, no bracelet.

Some of the kids who balk at wearing them do not have any real issue but are instead simply accustom to being indulged and like to throw hissy-fits when they do not get their own way. I'm certain that the kid's club crew will be VERY happy if THOSE children do not participate in their programs. :D

my daughter HATED it too (carnival) but i managed to get an extra band from the person in charge and put it around her bears' neck (his wrist and ankle were too small... he's her lovey... he goes everywhere with us) and once she saw that Bear had to wear it, she only managed to break out of it twice.

Great idea (that way in case of emergency Bear would be protected too! ;) )

I appreciate the fact that the crew takes safety issues in general, and those aimed at kids' saftey in particular, very seriously.

As a side note, it was almost comical on our last cruise where a very ill-behaved 10YO wanted to participate in the Teen program events but the teens would all leave as soon as they saw her. The Teen staff got a little tired of her antics (and her parent's who saw nothing wrong with their 10YO hanging out with 16YOs and the like) that they kept pasteing on that bracelet everytime she stepped anywhere near the teen club or any of their events. The girl hated that thing so much! I think it was one of the main reasons she stopped trying to spoil the older kids fun.

Gosh, I'm learning so much about the intricacies of cruising from here. From what age do children have to wear these tags ? At the moment I can only imagine DD trying to eat it the whole time (be it on wrist or ankle !).

I don't know if there is a specific age that they have to start to wear a bracelet; it probably varies by cruiseline. It has been my experience that babes in arms that are with the parents all of the time don't have to wear a bracelet. Cruiselines that have in room babysitting may require them at any age.

I don't know if there is a specific age that they have to start to wear a bracelet; it probably varies by cruiseline. It has been my experience that babes in arms that are with the parents all of the time don't have to wear a bracelet. Cruiselines that have in room babysitting may require them at any age.

Most cruiselines require the bracelets if your child is of the age for their camp programs (since my son was 2 on our Celebrity cruise we weren't given one). That said I never know whether my son will tolerate it. And since he has developmental delays a simple I'm the parent I make the rules doesn't work.

Last cruise I was expecting issues. Muester drill was horrid because he screams bloody murder if I have the orange vest on, but after that the bracelet was no issue. To my surprise on this last cruise we didn't even have to put on our vest nor carry them to the drill, but the bracelet was a struggle the whole cruise. Now I did have scissors and was ready to cut it off if I couldn't handle it knowing we would put it back on next time he went to camp. We managed to get through it though.

We just got back from Carnival's Elation and none of our 4 kids (ages 3, 3, 7 and 7) were ever given a wristband. They were in Camp Carnival for at least part of each day. We were a little bit late to the muster drill; maybe that is when they passed them out?

Archived