Passenger from Spirit shot during attempted robbery

freestylecruizer

This tragedy occured on the recent reposition of the Spirit from Boston to New Orleans.

The passenger was shot when in Guatemala.

Give this a read:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sns-ap-lt-guatemala-dane-killed,0,5987017.story

I was on this cruise and it's truly sad. However it is not clear whether this was an NCL sponsored tour, or if the pair hired a cab (which is the rumour).

J.

Yes, this is a very sad and tragic event. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Unfortunately cemetaries have become places for gangs and others to do their business in. I did not know it happens elsewhere and not just the U.S.

coka

When I read the article I immediately emailed my friend Javier, who runs tours out of Santo Tomas to the Rio Dulce out of Livingston where he lives. I asked if he knew any more than the article stated. Here is his reply:

This tourist took a taxi outside of the main building and this taxi driver took them for a walk far in the cementerie, where actually have been some problems with robberies against locals. The taxi driver said that he tried to stop the robberies but of course end it with the sad news.

I was on a cruise to Santo Tomas in 2006 I think it was. Anyway it was the first year ships were stopping there. I learned that the dock area is very secure, and that they only allow certain people inside the area. At the time there was very little offered in the way of excursions either thru the ships or thru hotels. I did some reading and contacted several people who met certain criteria for our group of 6 from our roll call: spoke passable English, was licensed, had all the safety requirements for a boat, lived in the area etc. That is how I found Javier & his Casa Rosada, a hotel in Livingston that was already doing tours for his own guests. BTW his hotel is next door to the one run by Gus in Go with Gus.

For those of you who have visited this area by cruise ship, you probably remember that there are booths inside the welcome area where you can book tours and taxis who are licensed and gov't approved etc. Most are attending English language classes at night school.

But if you choose to by pass this area, you CAN walk outside the gates and find independent drivers. That is apparently what the victim did, hoping to get a specialized tour for less money.

We were on this cruise this past February and enjoyed it a great deal. We did find it a bit unnerving to have gun boats off the pier protecting the cruise ship and troops in full battle gear with M16 rifles up and down the pier. When one sees that you appreciate the degree of protection you are getting but it also has to give you some second thoughts about just why they are there.

The lesson is this: don't carry anything you're not iwlling to part with, and if accosted just give the thugs what they want.

I agree.

Of course the scuffle could have happened while they were trying to get the camera off his wrist or from around his neck. The victim may have been compliant.

We don't know what occurred to cause the scuffle.

But it's an important reminder nonetheless. Give them what they want.

But who knows, even if a scuffle hadn't happened, the thugs may have shot him anyway.

So sad. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

This tragedy occured on the recent reposition of the Spirit from Boston to New Orleans.

The passenger was shot when in Guatemala.

Give this a read:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sns-ap-lt-guatemala-dane-killed,0,5987017.story

I was on this cruise and it's truly sad. However it is not clear whether this was an NCL sponsored tour, or if the pair hired a cab (which is the rumour).

J.

OMG! Awful news! Thanks for posting it and my prayers go out to the family.

This tourist took a taxi outside of the main building and this taxi driver took them for a walk far in the cementerie, where actually have been some problems with robberies against locals. The taxi driver said that he tried to stop the robberies but of course end it with the sad news.

This is very sad news, and it reminds all of us to use common sense when traveling.

This also reminds me of the occasional post by CruiseCritic users about feeling unsafe with their taxi drivers. I recall one instance where a couple was in a taxi, returning to the pier, and the driver wanted to drop them off a few blocks away. It was a remote-looking area, and the couple felt the taxi driver was setting them up for a robbery by an accomplice. The couple then demanded the driver take them all the way to the pier, which he did.

I'm not alleging that the taxi driver in this situation was an accomplice to the robbery, but I know I will carefully re-consider my options when I visit this port on the Spirit later this year.

- Mike :-)

This is very sad news, and it reminds all of us to use common sense when traveling.

This also reminds me of the occasional post by CruiseCritic users about feeling unsafe with their taxi drivers. I recall one instance where a couple was in a taxi, returning to the pier, and the driver wanted to drop them off a few blocks away. It was a remote-looking area, and the couple felt the taxi driver was setting them up for a robbery by an accomplice. The couple then demanded the driver take them all the way to the pier, which he did.

I'm not alleging that the taxi driver in this situation was an accomplice to the robbery, but I know I will carefully re-consider my options when I visit this port on the Spirit later this year.

- Mike :-)

Hi Mike:

I hope all is well with you. We hope to see you again in the future on another cruise.

Best regards,

Arlene & Jerry

Has anyone heard whether NCL will be reconsidering this port? Going in Jan 10' with my wife and 3 yo.

IMO, it would be a mistake to reconsider this port and I doubt very much that this incident would cause the cruise line to do so. Unfortunately, crime is everywhere. Find yourself a reputable tour operator (we used Gus and had a wonderful experience) and enjoy the beautiful country!! We met wonderful people and the send-off given by the locals when the ship left warmed our hearts and gave us a beautiful memory we shall always treasure. Helping this country's economy is the best thing you can do to reduce the crime problem.

As others have said, my heart breaks for the family.

The lesson is this: don't carry anything you're not iwlling to part with, and if accosted just give the thugs what they want.

I feel very bad for this person and their family but there is a lesson here. It said there was a scuffle. What were they thinking? I would have removed the card to keep my pictures and handed the camera over. Your life is worth much more than a camera.

This is a really sad event. We have been on 26 cruises and the only times we felt unsafe was in Martinique when we were followed by a car full of thugs and in Costa Rica when we hired a taxi to see the country. There were four of us and we realized into the trip that the driver was o.k. I do think you let your guard down when on vacation and you certainly can be taken advantage of.

I am leary of taking a taxi anywhere when in these ports. Many years ago ( not on a cruise but in a nice hotel in Acapulco ) a friend and I took a taxi to the downtown area. Our husbands were not with us as they didn't want to go shopping. My friend was wearing alot of gold jewelry. The driver did NOT take us downtown but drove up into the hills to a secluded area where there were several locals ( men ) standing in the road. He stopped the taxi. I thought for sure we would be robbed or attacked and my friend was so scared she couldn't even speak. Luckily I yelled " Take us downtown! " The men all began laughing and the driver did end up taking us downtown. Very scary.

Has anyone heard whether NCL will be reconsidering this port? Going in Jan 10' with my wife and 3 yo.

I chatted with the Staff Chief Engineer, Chief Engineer and Captain about this when I was on board, and no, they are not changing this port - it will be included in the Spirit's itinerary until reposition in April.

I chatted with the Staff Chief Engineer, Chief Engineer and Captain about this when I was on board, and no, they are not changing this port - it will be included in the Spirit's itinerary until reposition in April.

And I know the Sun is including this port in their itinerary next year as well.

Archived