Pre Cruise Shopping Advice

craftycousins

Okay maybe not strictly a cruise question but I would love some advice!

We will be in Orlando pre MSC cruise departing on Nov 30th, and we will be there on Thanksgiving as I am from Australia I was hoping I could get some advice from our American posters re Thanksgiving day sales ( I will mainly be going to the factory outlets)

I was wondering if things were super cheap on that day we are mainly interested in clothing and shoes not so much electrical stuff as we can't use it over here. Is it worth going at midnight or just wait until the daylight hours?

Hope someone can help :)

The Friday after Thanksgiving is known as "black Friday" - since it's the day that usually puts stores "into the black" - actually making a profit.

Just be warned - it can be a zoo. Since you're not looking for the types of things ( electronics) that a store might customarily have 3 or 4 of on sale you probably wouldn't need to do the midnight / stand in line sort of thing.

Hope you enjoy our American holiday.

This year the sales have already started. Decorations are up in some of the local malls and ornaments are on the shelves.

Get the Thursday-Thanksgiving Day- local newspaper (not USA Today) for flyers of sales and specials. Typically coupons will be of the 'before this time' variety. Or just go to the local mall and soak it all in.

Usually everything is open by 8a or 9a in my area.

Parking is absolutely horrible. Either park way out or get there real early.

Last few years I haven't noticed too many bargains that weren't there before this day.

Be prepared to wait in lines and wear comfortable shoes. Have Fun!

ETA- If you have the time check out the mall ahead of time. That way you will know which stores to 'hit' and the best place to park.

Very few stores will have sales on Thanksgiving day. The sales start on the day after. Since Thanksgiving is always a Thursday, the sales will be on Friday. Lots of people get up very early, and wait in line half the night for electronics.

For clothes and shoes, I believe you can wait for daylight hours. Definitely get a newspaper on Thursday/Thanksgiving day - that will advertise all the sales going on for Friday.

Once you determine what stores you wish to visit, ask the hotel front desk staff, (using a map) where the closet stores are that have the items you are interested in. Remember, if you buy a lot, you will need an extra duffle bag/expanding suitcase to get your purchases home.

Have fun! Kathy

Some stores may actually be open on Thursday/Thanskgiving day. I think retail is trying to get as many people in the doors as possible and with folks maybe not traveling ,they open up on the holiday. I know Kmart and Walmart around here are but they may not be the types of stores you want to go to. ;) I would check with the hotel concierge when you check in and see if they know what may be open on Thanksgiving.

On Thanksgiving Thursday, few, if any, retailers will be open. Might take that opportunity to either watch a lot of football on tv or go to a restaurant that is doing a Thanksgiving Buffet (that will give you a real Taste, pun intended, of the holiday).

Friday, it will be nuts. Tread carefully. I would never willingly go anywhere near a shopping center that day. But, if you want to experience it, be sure to make a game plan. It will be more difficult being in an unfamiliar area, but plan your day on a map, knowing which store is first, what items you want there, on to next store, what you want there, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Archived