Port of Miami // Port Everglades Disabled Parking..help!!

ewynn07

I keep reading conflicting info regarding FREE disabled parking at the Port of Miami (Jan) ...I have a Florida hanging blue card....I have difficulty walking. It sounds like you need a "form" to fill out before you enter the parking garage. We are also booked on another cruise (August) leaving out of Ft Lauderdale...I understand there you must have a lift, or special equipment on the steering wheel or peddles et. to qualify. Any info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks Nancy

This is directly from Emerging Horizons, an advocacy group for the disabled.

"I’m going to be taking a cruise out of Miami and I heard that parking at the cruise ship pier is free if you are disabled. Is this true and if so, what documentation do I need in order to get the free parking?

Expert Answer

Under Florida law there is no charge for parking at airports or cruise ships ports for people who have permanent access modifications on their vehicles or who hold a Florida Toll Exemption Permit. That’s the minimum standard required by law; however some places (like the Port of Miami) go beyond that minimum.

Currently there is no charge for parking at the Port of Miami for people who have an accessible parking placard.

That’s not the way it works at all ports though. For example Port Everglades sticks to the letter of the law and only allows free parking to folks with a converted vehicle or a Florida Toll Exemption Permit.

Of course policies and procedures can change from time to time, so it never hurts to carry your placard and ask. A general rule of thumb is, always ask, but be prepared to pay."

I keep reading conflicting info regarding FREE disabled parking at the Port of Miami (Jan) ...I have a Florida hanging blue card....I have difficulty walking. It sounds like you need a "form" to fill out before you enter the parking garage. We are also booked on another cruise (August) leaving out of Ft Lauderdale...I understand there you must have a lift, or special equipment on the steering wheel or peddles et. to qualify. Any info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks Nancy

You're "right on the money" about the parking at Ft Lauderdale, Nancy. If you don't have the special equipment on your vehicle, you're stuck for $15.00 per day in the garage.

However, at the Port of Miami it's free parking in the garage or the open lots if you have the blue disabled parking permit. They ask for your blue card and your driver's license to make sure that you aren't trying to fool them with someone else's permit. You also must fill out a form that they will provide, and you're all set. So, the bottom line is "free in Miami and "not free" in Ft Lauderdale unless you have the correct equipment. :rolleyes:

Why not just call the ports near the date of cruising and get the accurate answers you need? In your case, I wouldn't depend on answers here. The "rules" and requirements continue to change.

Thanks to you ALL for the parking info. I found when i tried to call the ports I got such conflicting info....the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is saying. We leave Nov. 23 on the new Equinox so think I better bring my credit card for the parking!

Thanks to you ALL for the parking info. I found when i tried to call the ports I got such conflicting info....the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is saying. We leave Nov. 23 on the new Equinox so think I better bring my credit card for the parking!

Hey Nancy:

It looks as if you have decided to use the parking garage at the pier, which is not a bad idea. Just a little tip. I parked there last december and of course it was $105 for the 7 days. When you get to the exit to pay, don't be surprised if the line is long. Most people (including me) were using a credit card, and it takes forever for them to put the card through and get acknowledgement. The are impossibly S-L-O-W as you can imagine. I'm sailing out of there next april and I'm going to bring some extra cash to pay for the parking

and hopefully I won't get stuck in a lineup for 30 minutes or more. Of course if there are people in front of you using cards, that's the problem, but if you decde to pay cash, you will still save yourself a wait of maybe 10 minutes while they clear your card.

Archived