Rental car in Oahu?

sdgary

Hi Spleen.

Our trip is a long time away, March 2006, but I am busy planning.

We have been to Hawaii a few times, many years ago.

So we propably will rent a car on all islands and drive around.

I assume that on Oahu we will have to pickup the car on the airport?

I saw some offices in Waikiki, but they close early at night.

Do you happen to know this?

On the other islands I hope a shuttle to the rentalagency will in the ports?

Do you agree this might be the best solution?

Generally, I think most people should rent cars and drive themselves on each island - with a couple of exceptions such as people that don't drive well or get very stressed trying to drive in places that they're not familiar with.

How late were you planning on renting/dropping off the car? I think town locations will actually work for most people though airport locations are convenient because you usually have to get to the airport anyways to fly home. Most car rental places have shuttle to pick people up at the ports but since policies change rapidly, you may want to check with them directly right before your trip to confirm shuttle availability (and keep checking here to see if people have had experiences otherwise).

Hope this helps.

Spleen

Nothing def yet, but I think around 9 pm, as the ship sails at 1100 pm.

We hope to have drinks and dinner in Waikiki before returning to the ship, and of course hope to have driven to circle around Oahu.

Yes I will re-check before and after making reservation about shuttles service.

As said, it still is a long time away.

If you're looking at a 9 pm return, then you're probably looking at an airport location return. But the issue will be getting back from the airport to the port (Aloha Tower). Taxi may be an option ... I somehow doubt that you'll be able to get the rental car agency to drive you back but you never know ...

Spleen

Hi

We did this exact same thing. We were on the Infinity. We asked at the Concerige desk and they booked us a rental car in Ohau. The last day, the bus took us to the airport. The took our suitcases(it was only around 11:00). They allowed us to check in our baggage. We went down to the bagage claim area, where all the rental car companies were and got our car. We were disappointed in the map they gave us but we did not plan to stay in Honolulu, so it was not too bad. We went out to the north side of the island. It was wonderful. Easy to drive and beautiful coast line. We were back in time for our evening flight.

Thanks bugdan

I eventually ran across that as I read on. That was my first visit to the "Hawaii" site and there is so much info to help out with car rentals. We are planning to rent at most of the stops. I appreciate the info.

Archived