Ventura/Caribbean 2010

SparrowLegs

Hi, New to this forum and celebrating our 60th year!!, I will go through all the threads and reviews in time, but on a high right now and so excited, I had to write, we have just booked 2 weeks on the Ventura for next Jan/Feb. Just on spec and so unlike me not doing my homework, still Ive got 12 weeks to get sorted. For many years now we have prefered to sail rather than fly but the last couple of Bay of Biscay crossings have not been very pleasant so we have bitten the bullet and going to the Caribbean for the fist time,also our first time on the Ventura. Just a couple of questions, and any advice/ opinions would be appreciated. We like to get out and about ourselves,are there any islands we would be better doing on a ship tour, thinking mainly about safety, and getting back to the ship on time. Is the dress code any different in the Caribbean, we expect 3-4 formal, and a couple of theme nights, will I need jacket and tie for the rest, we have opted for freedom dinning, again a first for us.

Which islands are you visiting? Most are safe, some are not. If you d.i.y., go out in the morning for a trip and get back to the ship area in good time to sail. The islands are only small but we have seen some huge traffic jams.

Four formal nights and the rest smart casual in the Caribbean, so no need for a jacket and tie unless you wish. Weight limits of 23kg suitcase and 5kg cabin baggage might be the decider!

Plenty of caribbean chat on here at the moment as we are all gearing up to go! We go for Christmas on Ventura, went on her for August weekender and really liked her.

Carol x

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply, and advice, we are visiting, Barbados, St Kitts, Cayo Levantado, Grand Turk, Dominica, St Lucia, St Maarten, Tortola, Antigua,St Vincent. I will be happy with the Jacket and tie if I wish, I do enjoy the whole cruise dresssing experiance, formal and casual, the 23kg will be fine for me its the other half were the problem lies !! Looks like you are doing the majority of our port calls, a report back would be much appreciated, enjoy it.

On another note, I was so excited in booking the cruise I just jotted down the main particulars, when I checked the price I noticed an extra £15pp added to the cabin price . I phoned back and was told it was an admin fee, no mention of this until I was given the total payable. After a little discussion, I am being given the £30 back, as I was not told during the booking, we will see when the invoice comes !!. Never paid an admin charge before, is it new or have I been previously lucky

Barbados: safe & easy, pick up a taxi at the cruise terminal for a tour of the sights. We also went on an organised turtle snorkel trip. This year we are going to the Tropical Spectacular dinner show as we are there overnight. Paul & Dave are playing golf during the day, booked online already.

St. Kitts: never been but we have a group of 6 and are going with Greg's safari tours for a 4 x 4 trip & walk through the rainforest. Again booked online already.

Cayo Levantado and Grand Turk: never been.

Dominica: some of us went on the Indian River rowboat trip, Paul & Dave went river tubing, both via the ship (Thomson in our case).

St. Lucia: don't miss the rum shack in the terminal building (to the left as you go in). Every flavour imaginable. We have done zip-lining here via the ship, this year we have booked Cosol tours (online) following recommendations by other members on here.

St. Maarten: duty free port so excellent for shopping, cameras, i-pods, jewellery, etc. We are going on the America's Cup yacht race via the ship.

Tortola: last year went to the Dolphin Discovery, booked online beforehand, thoroughly recommended. P&O don't offer this trip as far as I know. This year we are going on the Virgin Gorda trip.

Antigua: have done general sightseeing ship trip, and Paul & Dave played golf here as well. Beware the rum punch on the catamaran trip...

St. Vincent: first time this year, going on the kayak & snorkel ship trip.

Generally if you just want a sightseeing tour or to visit a beach you are as well off using a taxi. We have booked ship's tours for the more adventurous trips largely because it's easier.

We also like to have lunch ashore as we like the local food and drink.

If you Google any of the islands you will find loads of information about different places to visit.

Carol x

Hey sparrow legs great name!!

I'm also booked on the Ventura in Jan and this will be my first P&O cruise but have sailed several times on the Princess and third cruise in Jan. If you like dressing up then I think there are 3 or 4 formal nights. I am 50 and my daughter and boyfriend are 21 and 27 and we love that bit! You don't need many clothes, every year I take back stuff I did'nt wear. So travel light. Not sure about cabins but we always have an inside cabin as it's pointless (to us anyway) to spend anymore because we are never in it. (only sleep) There is plenty to do on board on sailing days and you will spend most of the day when you visit the islands. Only thing that bugs me is when you get off the ship you are bombarded with people trying to sell you stuff and try and dump you in a taxi. ALWAYS negotiate and if you pair up with a few pals you can hire a taxi all day and get a good price. Very rarely do we go on the organised trips-It's a lot cheaper to research before you go and jump in a taxi and get there before everyone else at half the price. If you hit the beaches again negotiate, I have been badly ripped off by people getting me drinks and charging double. It is how ever very hard to say no to these guy's as they do get upset. Be polite, firm and remember they are quite poor and that's their living.

You mentioned an admin charge are you aware of the tipping on board?

Have a good holiday and I think you will love it. If not pull my plug out on the running machine in the gym as I will be there every morning around 7am

Regards Glenn

Hi thanks both for the advice, still havent had time to do my research but I will, will probably do a few taxi tours, Invoice came today so all paid up and ready to go, 11 weeks it will fly by, I hope. Glenn absolutely no chance of seeing me in the gym at 7am or anytime with these legs !!!. Looking forward to the freedom dinning and smart casual for the majority of the time, it will make a pleasant change. The admin charge was the travel agents charge got it back ok. Well converse with tipping no problems providing the service is good, which it always is.We have gone for an outside this time, Just watching sky travel, P&O given them some unsold cabins for Ventura 1/1/10 £999 inside and upgrades available, would probably have gone for that, a week late coming, still its only money !! Enjoy yours

Archived