Food on Victory

Italian Nancy

The dining room food was great - DS1 (age 13 at the time) was very willing to try food he hadn't tried before, and did quite well. If he didn't like something, our waiter would try to find something else for him - although we quickly learned that the reason for his lack of appetite was usually that he had filled up on pizza on the lido deck before dinner! DH and I never had a bad meal in the dining room. Can't speak about the buffet in the evening - never made it there - but the buffet in the morning and noon is fine, although the lines can be long. DH and DS1 raved about the omelet station for breakfast. In all - didn't have to worry about starving!:)

I was on the Victory two weeks ago and of all the CCL, it had the worst food of any CCL I have been on. Having said that, it still had some good things to eat. When someone asks about food, I think they want more than the typical answers like "You won't go hungry" or "At least I don't have to cook it"

Now, mind you, every CCL ship is capable of putting out some high quality food. They have good quality items to work with.

It is all implementation. For example, the mushroom soup that was hot and creamy on the Ecstacy was watery and flavourless on teh Glory, creamy and flavorful ( but barely warm) on Victory.All shipds have similar, if not the same menues.

On VIc, the first lobster tails were undercooked, second was ok.SOme of the prime ribn was excellent, last night over or under cooked.

The one item that was consistently excellent was shrimp. If you don't like shrimp, well, then you might be out of luck. All of their shrimp items were excellent. The shrimp skewers were great, but their scampi (served on three different night on my Xmas cruise) were huge. CCL must have a great buyer for shrimp.

Most of the buffet food is poor. Being a nevadan, I use Circus Circus as a standard of poor buffet food. CCL is in league with them. However, there sometimes are good things hidden with steam tables of goop. For example, the teryaki skewers. Also, the carving table almost alwasy has ham, not good for those us that don't do pig.

Actually, buffet food is the best example of CCL poor food quality. However, there are other things that are worth eating instead. CCL consistently makes a good burger and fries. They make them FRESH, not ahead of time. Also good are their steak sandwiches. The Pizza is consistently good. Also good is the deli.

Now, when I said it had the worst food of any CL ship, what I mean is that I (no laughing please) have high expectations for CCl food. On previous CCL cruises, the dining room was excellent. On my Vic cruise, food was often cold, under or overcooked. It go without saying that this could be totally different on a different cruise. I think the differences in food between CCL ships are much smaller they are between different. Have a good cruise.

""dsclark"" you couldn't of said it better, I was on the 11/28 cruise and I totally agree with you. I was not impressed with the food situation, Waite staff was better than great. I have been on 2 other cruises, one being the pride. The food was fantastic... I never stopped talking about it.

It was not a good impression for those that were their first time on a cruise ship. I just told them don’t rate this ships food on what food is like on cruise ships. There was a lot of seasoned carnival cruisers on the ship not very happy with the food.

They have to do something to move that buffet line faster in the morning. Get the omelets areas away from the main line.

I was going to write a review but have held off, not really in the mood to get bashed for a bad review. (Thumbs down for the Victory for food)

I would still rather be on a cruise than working!!

"They have to do something to move that buffet line faster in the morning"

They really have to put some thought inot the buffet area.Remember the mexican buffet? As soon as you pcik up your plate, the first thing you are presented with is salsa. At the end of the buffet are the tacos. Now, shouldn't they be reveresed? At the time, I scooped a bunch of salsa onto my plate, then after getting the tacos, try to scrape it off the plate and into the tacos.

We just came off the Victory yesterday as well and although I the food was generally good it was not outstanding. Example being the Filet Migon was probably the worst I have ever had. Very tough and not a lot of taste. The fish dishes were always very good and my said the lobster was excelent. Our waiter(Alex) and his team were outstanding. One complaint I did have was the food in the dining room was always luke warm at best. It was fairly tasty but never piping hot. It did not seem to matter if it was breakfast, lunch or dinner the food was always cold. However, the pizza was always delicious and the burgers were great. Room service was always quick, 20 minute at the most. We did order coffee and continental breakfast by pre ording a couple of port mornings and it was always served when we asked for it. Overall I would rate the food on the Victory as good but not outstanding, there is certainly room for improvment and we mentioned this on our comment cards.

Archived