Turtle Farm Excursion or on our own?

MinnieCruiser

Hi,

We are trying to decide if we should do an RCCL tour of the Turtle Farm or go to the farm on our own. How long do you think we need to see the farm? One of the RCCL tours says that we are only at the farm for 1 hour. One of the RCCL tours also stops in Hell. What would you recommend? We will be on the Liberty of Seas 1/3/10 cruise.

Thanks,

MinnieCruiser:D

Hi,

We are trying to decide if we should do an RCCL tour of the Turtle Farm or go to the farm on our own. How long do you think we need to see the farm? One of the RCCL tours says that we are only at the farm for 1 hour. One of the RCCL tours also stops in Hell. What would you recommend? We will be on the Liberty of Seas 1/3/10 cruise.

Thanks,

MinnieCruiser:D

The turtle farm is part of a larger marine park called Botswain's Beach (http://boatswainsbeach.ky/). You can visit just the turtle farm, and an hour would probably be sufficient. Or you can purchase the admission that allows you to also enjoy the entire marine park. In any case, if you wanted to go on your own, the local buses run frequently and cost $2.50 per person.

We just got back and took the local bus (vans) $2.50 and went on our own to the Turtle Farm. It was $18 pp to see the farm part and not get to use the beach, snorkeling etc. To do everything it was around $40. One hour is plenty of time.

After the Turtle farm we walked across the street to Dolphin Cove and watched people swim with the dolphins...FREE.

It was a much cheaper way of seeing everything.

We just got back and took the local bus (vans) $2.50 and went on our own to the Turtle Farm. It was $18 pp to see the farm part and not get to use the beach, snorkeling etc.

really? only $18pp? just wondering...on their website the tix are 30 dollars per person for the farm only, but transportation is available free for cruise visitors.

We are trying to decide if we should do an RCCL tour of the Turtle Farm or go to the farm on our own. How long do you think we need to see the farm? One of the RCCL tours says that we are only at the farm for 1 hour.
As others have said, an hour is probably long enough to tour the turtle farm by itself. Just so you know, it is a turtle farm. Turtles are the livestock it produces. Yes, some turtles are released into the ocean every year, but the majority are a product and all that implies. I'm not trying to flame the turtle farm, in fact I'd go if I had children who want to see the turtles. I'm just giving you a heads up.

One of the RCCL tours also stops in Hell. What would you recommend?
Go to Hell? Not unless you think it is worth your time to see sharp rocks, take a few photos, and mail a post card home from the Hell post office. There really isn't much there other than the sharp rocks and a few gift shops. Google images will show you what you'll see there.

• 1 month later...
really? only $18pp? just wondering...on their website the tix are 30 dollars per person for the farm only, but transportation is available free for cruise visitors.

I saw this on their website as well. Just wondering if anyone has used this option with the transportation included? Also wondering since you prepay if they refund your money in case the ship can not make it into port? I also seen on the website that they are offering 20% discount.

Just left there 2 days ago. Have done it now 3 times, it is interesting and my wife loves it. I just go for the awesome conch fritters and turtle soup. It's a bit pricey like 10.00 for conch fritters and about the same for the soup. But they are big portions. Once you are done with the tour which lasts all of about 10 minutes if that just wind your way up to the restaurant. But make sure you watch the time as they are strict on meeting up times. We barely had enough time to eat and get back to the waiting bus.

They will take your picture holding a turtle if you are so inclined. Think the cost was close to what the ship charges for pictures.

Hell - well been there and done that. As others have said nothing special about it, and they got rid of the GO TO _____ postcards. I sent one to my MIL. :)

We had bad weather so we had to go in at Spots Bay and tender over. The tender over wasn't bad, it was the one coming back that was horrible. Slamming against the ship and heaving to and fro. Sat on it for 45 minutes till they finally took us back and got us on the Crown Princess Tender boats.

Archived