Friends of Bill W / Friends of Dorothy

Fat Boy

I quit drinking years ago, with one BIG EXCEPTION . . . cruising.

The only time I drink is on a cruise. Usually have one or two beers a day, but hell, I've been known to slam down 5 or 6 if its my birthday. :D

I'm about the same. Probably don't drink an entire 6 pack all year on land but usually get pretty buzzed the first day of cruising. Then less and less until maybe nothing the last day or 2.

Can only thank good genes for not having to join AA. There was a time in my working life where 3 nights a week I was wining and dining customers and then partying Friday and Saturday as well. Then one day, I decided to stop that and had no problem, LUCKY!! AS a kid, my Dad did the same. Drank a lot for years then decided to quit. Had no problems. Did take a drink a few years later and found it was awful and never had another. Both of us lucky. I watched a friend [old drinking buddy] and his wife die from booze.

I am hoping to find some other sober cruisers on my upcoming trip...last time I was out on the ocean, I was also still "out" there... So this trip will be different...i.e., I'll remember more of it:rolleyes: and not be the one to make it "un-fun" for those around me.

Sara 4/5/07

For those who wondered who "Jimmy K" is, he was the person that Bill W gave the 12 step program of AA (Alcoholic Anonymous) to. Jimmy K the started NA (Narcotics Anonymous)

Chic B 11/16/76:cool:

Ok so I get the Bill and Jimmy thing, but then does that mean that Dorothy discovered Lesbianism??

Ok so I get the Bill and Jimmy thing, but then does that mean that Dorothy discovered Lesbianism??

LOL!;)

Sometimes the simplest answer is NOT best, so, wikepedia says:

"In gay slang, a "friend of Dorothy" (occasionally abbreviated FOD) is a term for a gay man.[1] The phrase dates back to at least World War II, when homosexual acts were illegal in the United States. Stating that, or asking if, someone was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning. The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories.[2] A similar term "friend of Mrs King" (ie Queen) was used in England, mostly in the first half of the 20th century.[3]

Most commonly it is stated that "friend of Dorothy" refers to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different. For example the "gentle lion" living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy lion."[4][5]

Others claim that the phrase refers to celebrated humorist and critic Dorothy Parker, who included some gay men in her famous social circle.

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.[6]

In the second Oz book by Frank L. Baum, the Scarecrow, now the ruler of Oz goes on a quest to discover the fate of the child of the last Emperor of OZ, the lost princess Ozma. While questioning the witch who supposedly spirited the child away he and his companions rescue her servant boy, Tip. At the end of the book Tip is revealed to actually be Ozma and is magically transformed back into the girl she was supposed to be (a resonant chord for drag queens and effemiate gay men everywhere). In later books Dorothy returns to Oz and Ozma becomes "a friend of Dorothy"."

I wish I could've been there at the hunt for Dorothy.:eek:

So a person would go to AA or Friends of Bill W. to get support to not drink.

Why do people go to Friends of Dorothy? To not ...what? Approach a straight person? Not be gay/lesbian? Be with other gay/lesbian people? Meet them?

I'm not trying to be funny. I really don't know.

Shay

So a person would go to AA or Friends of Bill W. to get support to not drink.

Why do people go to Friends of Dorothy? To not ...what? Approach a straight person? Not be gay/lesbian? Be with other gay/lesbian people? Meet them?

I'm not trying to be funny. I really don't know.

Shay

Not sure why a person who wasn't gay would care why they're meeting, but to try and answer the question I'd say because we want to meet each other. So far, we still don't have red "G"'s or "L"'s on our foreheads, so it's not always easy to tell by looking. And contrary to some's beliefs, we really DON'T want to approach a straight person and offend them. ;)

Not sure why a person who wasn't gay would care why they're meeting, but to try and answer the question I'd say because we want to meet each other. So far, we still don't have red "G"'s or "L"'s on our foreheads, so it's not always easy to tell by looking. And contrary to some's beliefs, we really DON'T want to approach a straight person and offend them. ;)

Hey, thanks. I normally wouldn't care, but the thread got me curious! :)

Shay

I'm about the same. Probably don't drink an entire 6 pack all year on land but usually get pretty buzzed the first day of cruising. Then less and less until maybe nothing the last day or 2.

Can only thank good genes for not having to join AA. There was a time in my working life where 3 nights a week I was wining and dining customers and then partying Friday and Saturday as well. Then one day, I decided to stop that and had no problem, LUCKY!! AS a kid, my Dad did the same. Drank a lot for years then decided to quit. Had no problems. Did take a drink a few years later and found it was awful and never had another. Both of us lucky. I watched a friend [old drinking buddy] and his wife die from booze.

I also consider myself very lucky, Dan. My Father, bless his sole, one of the absolute greatest people that ever lived, killed himself with booze (along with a lot of help from Mr. Daniels):rolleyes: and several of my contractor friends have destroyed their companies and lives with it. On a visit to Vegas I ran into one of them. Once, the owner of a relatively large construction firm, a giant of a business man, with 200-300 employees reduced to a penniless mumbling beggar on the sidewalks of Vegas. I was almost sick with sadness. :(

Many have known it for years, but the alcoholic is always the very LAST to find out. :rolleyes:

This is me too, Dan. Those DOD's go down nice on the first few days, then I taper off. Not a huge drinker anyway which is a good thing since I'm a daughter of an alcoholic.

For those who wondered who "Jimmy K" is, he was the person that Bill W gave the 12 step program of AA (Alcoholic Anonymous) to. Jimmy K the started NA (Narcotics Anonymous)

Chic B 11/16/76:cool:

Thanks for this information... keep on forgetting about Jimmy K.... and kudos to everyone who is being helped by these organizations... it's a tough row but we are proud of your efforts !

I have an uncle who was gay and a highly successful businessman. In his professional life he was sort of in the closet. He'd cruise often with his long time partner and they'd go to Friends of Dorothy meetings to meet other cruisers like themselves. On cruises he could be himself. He once said how hard it was for a gay couple because they could deeply offend someone by just by being themselves. He passed away a few years ago and I am really glad to see cruise lines continue the Friends of Dorothy, Bill W, and Jimmy K meetings.

They really need to change the Friends of Dorothy title to something else. Most younger folks just don't get the reference and sadly, the meetings are not very well attended as a result. What is wrong with just calling it a GLBT meeting or party (it's not really a "meeting", just a social hour).

I just booked my first cruise on the Dream, Nov 6. I heard about it from some Friends of Bill in Florida (who I haven't met before). But I'm sure we'll get together for meetings, and who knows, might end up making some great friends!

I've read on the cruise message boards that a lot of, mostly order, women named Dorothy thought that Friends of Dorothy was for women with that name and attended the meeting with that thought in mind. When that got there they found that they were wrong but they met good friends so alls well that ends well.

I've read on the cruise message boards that a lot of, mostly order, women named Dorothy thought that Friends of Dorothy was for women with that name and attended the meeting with that thought in mind. When that got there they found that they were wrong but they met good friends so alls well that ends well.

I can visualize Betty White playing the part in that little scenario.

Imagine how busy you would be running to meetings if you were both gay and an alcoholic??? (Don't laugh, I know one who is..both).

OK, you can laugh.

I agree with a previous poster that the Friends of Dorothy meetings should just be listed as a Gay and Lesbian Social Hour. You would think that in this century people would be open minded enough to accept people as they are, but that is not reality. Someone would be offended and complain to the cruise line so calling it Friends of Dorothy keeps it more private. A previous poster saying don't laugh -he knows a gay alcoholic says it all. I don't find being gay or having an addiction funny at all. I'm just glad that cruise lines are open and accepting to hold these meetings for those who feel the need to go.

They really need to change the Friends of Dorothy title to something else. Most younger folks just don't get the reference and sadly, the meetings are not very well attended as a result. What is wrong with just calling it a GLBT meeting or party (it's not really a "meeting", just a social hour).

I'd guess that young Gays and Lesbians DO know what it means. Do any of us in a different lifestyle need to know what it means? And by and by we do find out anyway.

I agree with a previous poster that the Friends of Dorothy meetings should just be listed as a Gay and Lesbian Social Hour. You would think that in this century people would be open minded enough to accept people as they are, but that is not reality. Someone would be offended and complain to the cruise line so calling it Friends of Dorothy keeps it more private. A previous poster saying don't laugh -he knows a gay alcoholic says it all. I don't find being gay or having an addiction funny at all. I'm just glad that cruise lines are open and accepting to hold these meetings for those who feel the need to go.

On Carnival they are listed as "Friends of Dorothy/GLBT"

Archived