What to do in Nassau?

aeggp

We did the semi submersible and a short tour of Nassau by bus. It was ok but the fish and coral formations were disappointing and the tour was nothing special.

Wife and I said we'd stay on the ship next time and enjoy the pool, on-board activities, etc. Much more to do at Castaway Cay vs. Nassau. Just our opinion.

We have just walked around and window shopped. There is a shopping seminar on the ship the night before and you can get free pendants or charms from some of the jewelry stores in Nassau if you have the literature from the seminar (not the book they try to sell, btw).

DH & I went to the Pirate Museum and the Queen's Staircase, the Fort, then lunch and then back to the ship.

Last time I was there, my daughter and I did the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon.

I really love Nassau, but I can also understand why a lot of people just choose to stay onboard. :)

This time we did a segway tour. It's out in a nature preserve. You learn some info about the native vegetation and foreign vegetation thats on the island,as well about the aquaduct system. But really this tour is more about riding the segways than anything else. It's why we chose it anyway.

The youngest age you can be is 10. My kids are 13 and 10. I was a little concerned if my 10 yr would get how the segway moves. She picked it up within 5 minutes of practice. We had so much fun. They really loved the experience. it was one of the highlights of their trip.

I think we are going to do the Blackbeards beach that has snorkeling and stingrays. It looks to be pretty cool and the price wasn't bad either. The excursion lasts about 4.5-5 hours.

we did this excursion 5 years ago and it was not that great. The stingrays were awesome but the snorkeling left a lot to be desired.

last year we did the catamaran snorkel and while the snorkeling was great just be prepared for a crowded catamaran. my girls were 15 & 11 and had a good time. someone caught a sea turtle and brought it on board for every one to take pictures of.

Just an update, on another board popular with Disney cruise customers, its being reported that people with advanced reservations for the segway tour thru Disney have been contacted that this tour is no longer available thru Disney.

This was the tour that was held at gunpoint last weekend. Quote brazen of the criminals. This was a target of 18 tourists, not an individual off on their own.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1095365 for more information.

Just an update, on another board popular with Disney cruise customers, its being reported that people with advanced reservations for the segway tour thru Disney have been contacted that this tour is no longer available thru Disney.

This was the tour that was held at gunpoint last weekend. Quote brazen of the criminals. This was a target of 18 tourists, not an individual off on their own.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1095365 for more information.

Thank you Presentation on bringing this info to this board. Glad we didn't schedule the Segway tour. Sorry to hear about what happened.

Wow, these reports are concerning. It looks like there has been a recent spate of robberies in and around Nassau. I've been there on a couple of occasions (one a Disney cruise) and I was under-whelmed. Surely there are better ports of call that could be chosen than Nassau. We recently booked a May-June 2010 5-day double-dip at Castaway Cay that also goes to Nassau. I'd prefer that Disney ditch this port in favor of Tortola, Grand Cayman, or, hey, what about Puerto Rico? Or... a third dip at Castaway Cay!!!:)

Archived