What to see in downtown Puerto Vallarta

brielove

Hi, I have been saving info from these boards for awhile now as we planned our trip & decided what we wanted to do. We decided we want to spend 6hrs at the Dreams resort with a daypass but we also want to see downtown Puerto Vallarta a little differently than we've done before(not all touristy). I cut & pasted below some info I read awhile back - this is what we want to do but I want to clarify what we need to do to GET there.

*****message cut & pasted******I would personally go to Dreams PV ...BUT first I would grab a cab (110pesos)outside the cruise dock sitting on the curb, (DON'T get into a white taxi waiting in the crusie dock) into the Southside and explore that area then walk up to the river market and then the central Market...then walk down to the Malecon..walk that and then when you are good and hot, go to the Cheeky Monkey (right on the Malecon) to have a $1 Pacifico or Corona..THEN catch a cab (50 pesos or $5 USD they use the 10/1 ratio) to Dreams PV just before lunch to spend the day :) A cab back to Marina should be about 140 pesos ********end of message******

So, last time we were in Puerto V. we took a bus from downtown to the hospital across from the cruise terminal where we got off. We want to know if we can do the same thing to get to downtown?? if so where do we catch it to go south towards downtown? What should the bus say on it ( El centro??)

Then where should we get off if we want to see the markets the poster above was talking about? (River Market & central market) We're not too interested in the touristy shopping parts but would rather see a real Mexican market w/ food etc. is this what we will see or am I misunderstanding? can someone give me street intersections so I can find them on a map or ask a local if we need help. Or what we should even be asking for LOL!

Then if we want we'll walk the Malecon before catching a cab to Dreams for the rest of the afternoon.

Thank you for any info to help us so we know exactly what we need to be looking for.

Erika

Ok, you can catch a bus downtown from the cruise ship area easily. Walk to the main road. At the main road, take a right and there is a bus shelter in front of Soriana (excellent grocery store)- take any bus that says Centro.

It is 5.5 Pesos per person per ride. No transfers.

If you get off the bus once it crosses the Rio Cuale- when it makes a left at Basilio Badillo, or within a couple of blocks, walk to the corner of Basilio Badillo and Insurgentes and take the Mismaloya bus to Dreams. Make sure you tell the bus driver, so he yells to tell you to get off (but do not count on it! Keep your eyes open) or simply take a taxi from that area.

Skip the flea market it is a tourist market- not the one the locals shop at.

Archived