opera woes

happy to be sailing

How bad is the Opera anyway?I have been reading reviews. Some are saying everything is great & some are saying not so great. What seems to be at fault?Is it people that expect more or are they wanting too much for their money. We are experienced cruisers & have learned to just enjoy your time on vacation;life is too short to start picking away at everything that is not perfect.We will be on the Opera next Sept & plan on having a good time regardless of the issues some people are talking about on this forum.

Its either love or hate. I have no idea why this is so. On other lines I hear them complaining about how this does not compare to the other cruise line and so on. I just do not get why people here are so polar opposite. I really think that if you know about the product and embrace it and are willing to let things be, then you go with a different attitude and it is easier to please you. Those going on expecting to be treated like a king should go on the high end of cruising where you have one staff member to each guest. But for regular people who do not need that, this cruise line suits us fine for a beautiful ship, different itinerary, clean ship and wonderful entertainment.

I was on the same Opera cruise as Gelbel and had no complaints with the ship, food, cleanliness, staff attitude (apart from the accounting desk as did many on the ship) whatsoever. The rude and unpleasant episode with accounts was brief so in no way influenced my opinion of MSC. Embarkation was very long and drawn out compared with Musica which we cruised on immediately prior to Opera. That cruise was also faultless so I agree with Gelbel & Cam, if you go with an open mind and prepared to enjoy yourself then you will not be disappointed. If I had paid 5 star perhaps I would have been disappointed but I NEVER travel 5 star as I like to still feel at home when travelling and like to travel with people I feel comfortable with and can relate to.

Happy cruising, Misty

I liked the Opera a lot. very pretty small (by today's standards) ship. Always spotlessly clean with great shows. Food can be variable - pasta/risotto, pizza, icecream. appetizers and pizza great. Beef can be one to avoid as it can be very tough. Food not always as hot as it could be.

I like the mix of nationalities and multiple languages (learning other languages has been an interest of mine since my teens) but others find it irritating or causes them issues communicating.

It odes not have all the features that are part of the newer bigger ships all lines seem to be going for now. It also best suits people who like to eat at fixed times in a traditional way. It doesn't provide 24/7 food and drink and doesn't have any alternative to fixed dining at dinner.

I think the shows are very good but the that is a matter of perssonal tatse. I like classical music and I really enjoy the operatic tenors and sopranos and classical groups (usually trios or quartetes). I also enjoy the cirque du soleil style acts they feature too. However if stand up comedy is your thing and you hate opera, then you will have a very different view.

be prepred that the reception staff can be a bit aloof and not the most helpful souls on earth. Also organisation is not MSC's strong suit and the Opera is no exception. This will either drive you mad or actually amuse you.

have fun!

Archived