celebrity solstice w/3 teenagers?

tkalex9052

Hi--

This is our first cruise ever. Our travel agent recommended the Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean cruise departing this January 3. My husband and I are looking for a more upscale, relaxing cruise experience with better quality food, and for these reasons we are leaning toward Celebrity versus RCCL and the like. We have three kids--one 18yo and 14yo twins. Since it is our first cruise, I know that it will be exciting just by virtue of it being our first, not to mention the activities at the ports, but I want to make sure that the kids will not be bored while at sea.

I guess there is an X club for the 14yos and there's stuff for them. I am sort of worried about the 18yo. I think he may enjoy some of the lectures about nautical navigation, etc., but I am not sure.

It is amazing how when I call the Celebrity customer service they aren't very helpful. Here I am, ready to dish out $8K, and they can't tell me much if anything about the youth activities except what I can read on the website.

Any help appreciated!

Hi--

This is our first cruise ever. Our travel agent recommended the Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean cruise departing this January 3. My husband and I are looking for a more upscale, relaxing cruise experience with better quality food, and for these reasons we are leaning toward Celebrity versus RCCL and the like. We have three kids--one 18yo and 14yo twins. Since it is our first cruise, I know that it will be exciting just by virtue of it being our first, not to mention the activities at the ports, but I want to make sure that the kids will not be bored while at sea.

I guess there is an X club for the 14yos and there's stuff for them. I am sort of worried about the 18yo. I think he may enjoy some of the lectures about nautical navigation, etc., but I am not sure.

It is amazing how when I call the Celebrity customer service they aren't very helpful. Here I am, ready to dish out $8K, and they can't tell me much if anything about the youth activities except what I can read on the website.

Any help appreciated!

8k! You can do a great Eastern Carribbean cruise for 4 people for a lot less than that, especially in early January as that is one of the cheapest times to cruise. I think you should shop around a bit more.

8k! You can do a great Eastern Carribbean cruise for 4 people for a lot less than that, especially in early January as that is one of the cheapest times to cruise. I think you should shop around a bit more.

Just a note that it's actually 5 cruising, so they need two cabins or a family cabin or a family suite. Plus, we don't know what category they're looking at or whether that $8,000 includes air and other costs.

Certainly it's possible that they might find a better deal, but it sounds like they have a TA who may know more about what suits the family. (Of course, the TA might also simply be an X fan.)

tkalex9052:

I don't know what the specific amenities are on Solstice, but I do know that 18 can be a "difficult" age on any cruise line/ship because they are too old for the kid/teen programs, but don't have full "adult" privileges. There aren't usually activities geared specifically for that age group. OTOH (and this is solely my opinion), an 18-y/o can be expected to not need constant entertainment and will likely find many activities that are enjoyable. Because many colleges don't start until the middle of January, there may be a fair number of 18-21 y/o passengers onboard, especially because it is (as dreaminofsun mentions) a good time of year to find deals on fares.

Is your 18-y/o still in high school and about to graduate? If so, it may be possible for him/her to attend some of the older teen activities. It's a very, very rare thing when this is allowed, but you can always ask. Be sure he/she brings high school ID to verify. Otherwise, you'll have to decide how independent your 18-y/o is in being able to find things to do. I can't imagine anyone of any age spending a cruise thinking, "I'm bored" because there are so many activities and fun things to do/see.

beachchick

I missed the fact that you have 5 people. Still, we took a Carnival Cruise last January that was $2500 for a balcony room for 4 people. So, even 2 rooms would be way less than $8000. I don't know anything about Celebrity but I think the teens would love Carnival.

Personally, every time I have tried to use a TA they have come back with prices way higher than what I have been able to find on my own. Of course, you are entitled to spend as much money as you want, I personally was just a little shocked at that amount of money for an eastern carribean in January and since you are new to cruising I thought I would mention it since you may not be aware of going rates.

Archived