Caribbean cruises - deck chair issues?

GadgetNeil

Having enjoyed our first ever cruise, to Alaska, this year on HAL, I'm considering a Caribbean cruise for this winter (likely westerdam or eurodam). But something that's been discussed on the boards worries me. I don't want to either have to be by the pool at 7 am, or have unpleasant confrontations in order to have a chaise/lounger on a nice day. Many people have posted about "chair hogs" who put a towel down first thing in the morning, and the ways of dealing with it. If we want to sit by the pool on the days at sea, how much hassle will this be?

I have seen those posts too but I can only speak of what I know to be true on the Maasdam cruise we took last november...there were not any 'hogs'. Plenty of loungers by the pool in the lido and if you couldn't find one by the aft pool just go up the stairs and there were plenty up there available. I am sure that hogs might exists on the bigger ships more as there are more people to accomadate...but frankly if I saw that there were loungers not used by anyone in the pool and no one claimed them after 15 minutes...I would remove the towels (most likely that is all that is left). Also I am sure you can ask someone close by if they have seen anyone there.

There are also alot of loungers on the prominade. :D

Last week on the Westerdam, you had to get up pretty early to beat the chair hogs. We would have breakfast at 8:00 and by then the towels, books, and other personal gear were already positioned on the loungers and some tables. We were counting the empty chairs. They were few and scattered around. Most of the "reserved" loungers were in groups of 2-4 or more. It seems that these folks get up really early, set up shop at the pool, then disappear until around 9 or 10. Good thing I don't hang out at the Lido pool, there might be an incident! ;)

We were on the Westerdam from 10/25 through 11/8. Yes, there were chair hogs at the Adult Aft pool but I never had a problem getting a lounger for me and my DIL. One time, I had to stand around for several minutes waiting for someone to leave. I never go to the Lido pool because they always feel way too crowded and way too hot.

Cheers, Denise

Just got off the Maasdam Nov 6th from a 2 week cruise and on sea days the chair hogs were out in force! I seen a couple of nasty confrontations amongst the same people, unfortunately the staff tries to settle the situation but nothing ever good comes of it. I guess its the same everywhere.

Archived