Prepaid gratuities

referee

This might seem a strange question for someone who has cruised 15 times, but, i'm not sure how to prepay gratuities.We've always used cash for tips,but, I didn't want to carry cash with me. We are not doing MTD. Do I make arrangement at check-in or will I have to go to Purser's desk once onboard? Thanks in advance.

This might seem a strange question for someone who has cruised 15 times, but, i'm not sure how to prepay gratuities.We've always used cash for tips,but, I didn't want to carry cash with me. We are not doing MTD. Do I make arrangement at check-in or will I have to go to Purser's desk once onboard? Thanks in advance.

You can either request to prepay your gratuities before boarding through your TA or RCI (depending on whom you booked with). Or once onboard they will sometime during the cruise deliver a form to your stateroom where you can choose to have your gratuities charged to your onboard account. Of course if you don´t want for the form to be delivered you can have this arranged through the Pursers Desk as well.

Hi,

We just did this. You can prepay your gratuities from home before you cruise (through the means in which you booked your cruise....TA, RC website, etc). If you would prefer to wait until you get onboard, they will give you paperwork in your cabin with an option to have the gratuities placed on your Sail and Sign card. Just return the form to the Pursers desk. They will deliver vouchers and envelopes to your cabin at the end of the cruise. Enjoy!

Here's my one little pet peeve with Royal Caribbean. One of the reasons I like to prepay my tips is so I don't have to fuss with handing out envelopes at the last dinner. It's just one more thing to have to think about on that last night. But when I sail with RC, they deliver vouchers to my cabin for me to hand out to the wait staff, indicating that I had prepaid the gratuity. It sorta defeats the whole purpose, if I'm still having to hand out the envelopes.

I do prefer how Princess handles tips. They're automatically charged to your account, unless you specify otherwise.

Here's my one little pet peeve with Royal Caribbean. One of the reasons I like to prepay my tips is so I don't have to fuss with handing out envelopes at the last dinner. It's just one more thing to have to think about on that last night. But when I sail with RC, they deliver vouchers to my cabin for me to hand out to the wait staff, indicating that I had prepaid the gratuity. It sorta defeats the whole purpose, if I'm still having to hand out the envelopes.

I do prefer how Princess handles tips. They're automatically charged to your account, unless you specify otherwise.

The vouchers are a service for those not wanting to be empty handed the last evening. You don´t have to hand out those vouvhers if you don´t wish to, so what´s the big deal?

If that is your only peeve, you should be quite grateful. Frankly, handing out envelopes on the last night when you are thanking the staff for the wonderful service they have provided doesn't seem to rank high on my list of onerous tasks and doesn't add much to the things we need to think about as our cruise is ending. We prefer to have the vouchers and envelopes and frequently find that the service we have received has been so exceptional that we add some cash to the envelopes.

I agree, we always prepay our tips when we book at RC. The envelope thing is another way to pressure people. This time we'll pitch those envelopes in the trash.

RC is the only one we been on that does it that way.

If that is your only peeve, you should be quite grateful. Frankly, handing out envelopes on the last night when you are thanking the staff for the wonderful service they have provided doesn't seem to rank high on my list of onerous tasks and doesn't add much to the things we need to think about as our cruise is ending. We prefer to have the vouchers and envelopes and frequently find that the service we have received has been so exceptional that we add some cash to the envelopes.

I agree about the exceptional service. We just sailed on the Explorer. Our stateroom attendant and waiters were the best ever and really helped make the cruise that much better. We made sure to add cash to their envelopes!

I agree, we always prepay our tips when we book at RC. The envelope thing is another way to pressure people. This time we'll pitch those envelopes in the trash.

What pressure? Considering how hard the staff works to make your cruise an enjoyable one, one should hardly consider providing you with envelopes for the tip vouchers or cash to recognize their performance, to be "pressure".

Trash them if you wish but I'm not sure I see the point of doing so.:rolleyes:

We did prepay on our last cruise and our stateroom attendant told us we could just throw them away if we didn't want to hand them out - they are just a paper confirming the amount already going to our servers/attendant. We threw them away. Now, if we had received exceptional service we would have added more, so I agree that it's good to give them to the folks that prepay. We got good service but certainly nothing exceptional (which is fine - we paid for good service and that's what we got so this wasn't a complaint or anything:)) so didn't feel the need to tip extra. But what would someone that prepaid do if they DID want to tip extra? That's why they still provide the envelopes! So if you don't want to add to your prepay don't feel guilty about throwing them away:)

:confused::confused:Pressure:confused::confused: What pressure would an envelope and voucher put on people?

I appreciate them giving the envelopes and vouchers so I can hand them out. If I don´t want to do that there´s no need to do so. It´s not like the crew needs the voucher to get the money.

The talk about the handing out of the envelopes, even the prepays, on the last night is understandable. But one of the things I do is give them out earlier in the day; I already know my waiter/assistant/head waiter, cabin attendant, and I may see them. Now this might not always work for folks, but it's just another one of those little tricks I have done to ease that 'last night' rush.

The prepays are the easiest. Do it when you book, or right away when you get on board. And like Conanc and negc said "add the cash, too" is always good for service above and beyond the normal.

The talk about the handing out of the envelopes, even the prepays, on the last night is understandable. But one of the things I do is give them out earlier in the day; I already know my waiter/assistant/head waiter, cabin attendant, and I may see them. Now this might not always work for folks, but it's just another one of those little tricks I have done to ease that 'last night' rush.

The prepays are the easiest. Do it when you book, or right away when you get on board. And like Conanc and negc said "add the cash, too" is always good for service above and beyond the normal.

See that´s the good thing about the option of prepaying and the vouchers and envelopes. You have so many options to do just as you like, prepay or not, hand out the vouchers or not, add cash or not, give the envelopes anytime you wish....

I personally never feel that "last night rush" and I will see my waiter/assistant/headwaiter/cabin attendant anyway but the system offers an option for everybody.

I too like the fact that RCI gives the envelopes, I WANT the opportunity to give the voucher (and extra $ if warranted) to the people who have made my vacation special by giving me good service. I like to take the time to tell each of them how much we appreciated the way we have been looked after and wish them well!

We were disappointed when we cruised Princess BECAUSE they don't use the envelope system, it seemed so impersonal and did not encourage the passengers to thank the staff verbally for all they had done for them. :(

What pressure? Considering how hard the staff works to make your cruise an enjoyable one, one should hardly consider providing you with envelopes for the tip vouchers or cash to recognize their performance, to be "pressure".

Trash them if you wish but I'm not sure I see the point of doing so.:rolleyes:

Pretty simple...RC's game plan for the envelopes with vochers is for people that prepay to feel pressure to add more tips. You surely don't think they are trying to do you a favor with pushing the envelopes.

We were recently on HAL and they do not do the envelope thing or any other ship we been on.

I consider how hard the staff works and the good job they do... that is the reason I always prepay the tip. RC personnel told us since we had prepaid we could trash the envelopes.

I really don't care if you see the point. :D

And it makes me no difference what you do, for that's 'your' choice.

Pretty simple...RC's game plan for the envelopes with vochers is for people that prepay to feel pressure to add more tips. You surely don't think they are trying to do you a favor with pushing the envelopes.

We were recently on HAL and they do not do the envelope thing or any other ship we been on.

I consider how hard the staff works and the good job they do... that is the reason I always prepay the tip. RC personnel told us since we had prepaid we could trash the envelopes.

:confused:

Our cruise on Majesty was the first time we did not prepay before leaving home. So we received the envelopes even though we paid on board. I believe rather than have to worry about who to give envelopes to - they just give them to everyone.

We also appreciate the extra opportunity to say thank you to our servers and cabin steward at the end of the cruise.

It was kind of nice yesterday morning as we were having breakfast in the Windjammer, the assistant waiter from the dining room stopped by our table to make sure we had everything we need.

We did prepay on our last cruise and our stateroom attendant told us we could just throw them away if we didn't want to hand them out - they are just a paper confirming the amount already going to our servers/attendant. We threw them away. Now, if we had received exceptional service we would have added more, so I agree that it's good to give them to the folks that prepay. We got good service but certainly nothing exceptional (which is fine - we paid for good service and that's what we got so this wasn't a complaint or anything:)) so didn't feel the need to tip extra. But what would someone that prepaid do if they DID want to tip extra? That's why they still provide the envelopes! So if you don't want to add to your prepay don't feel guilty about throwing them away:)

I hear ya, LP. I don't understand what people do on other lines if they've prepaid and they want to give extra but there are no envelopes. Do you shake their hand and grease their palm with an extra $20? I haven't cruised any other line since this pre-pay system started so I really am wondering.

As for your last cruise and getting nothing exceptional, I'm with ya. I would've liked to have taken the $.75/day tip to the head waiter away, quite honestly. And everyone else got what they deserved, although we did give our steward $10 extra each simply because he was sooooo freakin' nice. Good thing I had that envelope! :) :)

As far as I see it RCI´s "game plan" is to provide envelopes to those people that have prepaid their tips so they have something to hand out to the crew the last night if they wish to and not to stand there empty handed while the cash tippers hand out their tips and thank the crew.

I appreciate the vouvhers and envelopes and as you said yourself you are free to trash them, so no harm is done.

The cruise lines I´ve sailed on that did not have envelopes have been completely pre-paid tips. So there was no real choice of prepaying or tipping in cash at the end. Thus there was no real need for envelopes.

Now on my recent Princess cruise I was in Anytime Dining and there wouldn´t have been a waiter I would have given the tip to, as I had different waiters each night. However the Guest relations had blank envelopes available and they got used by people. Again I didn´t feel pressured by this, but got a few to reward people like my cabin attendant, Head waiter and some bar tenders that took great care of me.

As for your last cruise and getting nothing exceptional, I'm with ya. I would've liked to have taken the $.75/day tip to the head waiter away, quite honestly. And everyone else got what they deserved, although we did give our steward $10 extra each simply because he was sooooo freakin' nice. Good thing I had that envelope! :) :)

I feel most of the the work the Head Waiter does is behind the scenes. If we have no problems and everything goes smoothly with the dinner service then he did his job.

On our last Enchantment cruise our waitstaff was tied up with a large table in our section and the head waiter was very visible each night helping out. On our recent Majesty cruise the head waiter was not as visible, but he did stop at our table every evening to check on service and to be sure everything was satisfactory.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked online plus watched a few shows on Travel channel about the people that work on cruises. they make a descent wage plus we tip them here is what I found: In one month this is what they make

Waiterfrom $2500 to $4000Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000Bar Waiter / Waitressfrom $1000 to $2500Bartenderfrom $1500 to $3000

not including tips

for my cruise here is the breakdown, 3634 passengers 1380 workers

so 3634 x $9.75 for tips =$35,431 in tips divided into 1380 workers =$26.01 a day per worker x 30 days =$781.00. so they get an average of $195.00 a week in tips. plus their monthly wage, and whatever they pocket from extra tipping, which DOES happen.

These people mainly are from foreign countries, and they DONT pay taxes if they aren't US ships. They pocket all of it. These people are making more money than I am a month and I DON"T feel sorry for them if I decide to short them on tipping, which I won't. but still if I decide NOT to tip, OH well, they make more than me.

Archived