Do the ABC stores sell leis?

flashdog_1

Thanks. Not sure if we have time to go shopping or how important a lei is. We're just gonna try to recover from the flight, and "do" Oahu after the cruise. We will have a fridge on the ship, though, should we come across one.

If you have any views as an islander about the lei and the visitor's experience, I'd love to hear it, ladykiane. When I was a little girl in the 40s and 50s it seemed to be a big deal, and something authentic, you know, being welcomed to Hawaii. Is it still? I'm wondering if there's anything symbolic as well as real in the gesture of "lei-ing" someone in greeting. Thanks again.

Flashdog, how about a lovely bouquet of exotic flowers? The cruise pier in Hilo has several vendors selling flowers with birds of paradise and other gorgeous flowers which are very inexpensive. If I remember correctly, you could get something lovely for $10-15 and they delivered it to the ship. It would be in your room when you get back on board. That would last the entire cruise.

Do buy a fresh lei every time you get the chance. They are very authenitic and very Hawaiian. The people of Hawaii wear them all the time. Plumeria is very common, inexpensive and fragrant. Wear is for a few hours and save the plastic bag it came in. When you put it in the fridge, put it in the bag, blow the bag up (carbon dioxide preserves it a little longer) and put the bag in the fridge. I will last several days.

Flashdog 1, we enjoy presenting our guests with a lei. I usually buy the kukui nut lei so my guests will have something to to take home to remind them of their visit here. Leis are given for all occasions, birthdays, graduations, etc. This is just a friendly way to say ALOHA.

Flashdog 1, we enjoy presenting our guests with a lei. I usually buy the kukui nut lei so my guests will have something to to take home to remind them of their visit here. Leis are given for all occasions, birthdays, graduations, etc. This is just a friendly way to say ALOHA.

Thanks for responding ladykiane. I was under the impression the nut leis were for men and the flowers for women but I guess not!

Thanks. Not sure if we have time to go shopping or how important a lei is. We're just gonna try to recover from the flight, and "do" Oahu after the cruise. We will have a fridge on the ship, though, should we come across one.

If you have any views as an islander about the lei and the visitor's experience, I'd love to hear it, ladykiane. When I was a little girl in the 40s and 50s it seemed to be a big deal, and something authentic, you know, being welcomed to Hawaii. Is it still? I'm wondering if there's anything symbolic as well as real in the gesture of "lei-ing" someone in greeting. Thanks again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that do not give a "closed lei" to somebody that is pregnant. To make a long explanation short, a closed lei symbolizes the umbilical cord choking the child inside the womb. This actually may not pertain to you but just something culturally that the local Hawaiians practice.

Archived