Help with Halifax Itinerary, please!

MalibuCA

After reading numerous guide books, 100s of cruisecritic threads, and deliberating about whether or not to visit Peggy's Cove, I think I have finally arrived at a viable itinerary. Please help with your comments, advice, wisdom, experience and especially your sense of direction. Tell me where I'm wrong and where I'm right so I can finally move on to researching my next port. Thanks so much in advance!

We have one day in Halifax aboard the Crystal Symphony next October. After watching many youtube and google videos of Peggy's Cove, I agree that it is a beautiful spot, but I think that our few precious hours in Halifax will be best served by visiting only Halifax. We are in port from 9:00 to 5:00.

1. We begin at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (hopefully missing crowds by beginning our day there.)

2. Next, we will taxi to the Citadel, not so much to explore the Citadel, but to experience the view, and have the Citadel as our starting point for walking. Is there an uphill climb to get to a good viewing spot from the entrance to the Citadel? Is it possible for a taxi to drop us at the optimum viewing spot without climbing?

3. From the Citadel, we will exit and turn right onto Sackville. We will then walk Sackville to Summer. Can we enter the Public Gardens at Sackville and South Park Street, or is the only entrance access at Spring Garden and Sackville? Then, turn left onto Summer Street, and continue until we reach Spring Garden Road. Turn left onto Spring Garden Road.

4. Continue on Spring Garden into Downtown Halifax. Turn left on Barrington Street to Duke Street. Turn right on Duke Street to Upper Water Street where we will see Purdy's Wharf. From Purdy's Wharf, go to Lower Water Street and walk along the waterfront. Of course, these directions are not written in stone, and I'm certain we will not follow exactly, but at least it will take me in the direction I want to go. Can you recommend any other streets in this area that I should not miss exploring? Is most of this walk downhill? Should we take other streets to avoid lots of uphill?

5. Exploring the waterfront: How do we get from Upper Water Street to Lower Water Street? Does most of the activity on the waterfront take place on Lower Water Street? Any other streets that we should not miss? We will continue along the waterfront making sure to spend some time at the Historic Properties.

6. We will continue along the waterfront to Pier 21. How do we get to Marginal Road where Pier 21 is located? Which directions do we turn on and off of Terminal? Is that where my cruise ship will be docked?

7. If we have inclement weather, what should we do intead of all of this walking?

8. If we choose to use FRED, are there long lines of people waiting to get on the bus in October, or is it easy to access whenever we want?

Yes, as you can probably tell, I have done my homework and nearly destroyed my one and only Fodor's Halifax map in the process. Please let me know what you think of this plan. Is all of this doable in about 7 hours? I appreciate all the help that you can provide.

Thanks,

Shelley:confused:

you are way better prepared than I am and I have been there..3 times..only once on a cruise though...we walked from the ship along the waterfront to theodore the tugboat..then up the hill to the citadel..it is worth seeing inside as well as the view..good view from the entrance to the citadel but even better from the walls....it is a bit of a climb but there are places to stop and sit on the hill on the way..also a clock tower half way up..we then just walked back to the ship

peggys cove is nice but its also a crapshoot with weather..fog can make nice pictures but also make getting there slow

2. Next, we will taxi to the Citadel, not so much to explore the Citadel, but to experience the view, and have the Citadel as our starting point for walking. Is there an uphill climb to get to a good viewing spot from the entrance to the Citadel? Is it possible for a taxi to drop us at the optimum viewing spot without climbing?

I would take some time and explore the citadel if you are going to be there anyhow - I'm sure you will find it interesting.

Do you think that I will have time to do all these things (including the Citadel) in just one day?

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelly: I am out of town on business and It is hard to type a lot on my iPod. I will answer most of your questions when I get home on the weekend.

After reading numerous guide books, 100s of cruisecritic threads, and deliberating about whether or not to visit Peggy's Cove, I think I have finally arrived at a viable itinerary. Please help with your comments, advice, wisdom, experience and especially your sense of direction. Tell me where I'm wrong and where I'm right so I can finally move on to researching my next port. Thanks so much in advance!

We have one day in Halifax aboard the Crystal Symphony next October. After watching many youtube and google videos of Peggy's Cove, I agree that it is a beautiful spot, but I think that our few precious hours in Halifax will be best served by visiting only Halifax. We are in port from 9:00 to 5:00.

1. We begin at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (hopefully missing crowds by beginning our day there.)

3. From the Citadel, we will exit and turn right onto Sackville. We will then walk Sackville to Summer. Can we enter the Public Gardens at Sackville and South Park Street, or is the only entrance access at Spring Garden and Sackville? Then, turn left onto Summer Street, and continue until we reach Spring Garden Road. Turn left onto Spring Garden Road.

4. Continue on Spring Garden into Downtown Halifax. Turn left on Barrington Street to Duke Street. Turn right on Duke Street to Upper Water Street where we will see Purdy's Wharf. From Purdy's Wharf, go to Lower Water Street and walk along the waterfront. Of course, these directions are not written in stone, and I'm certain we will not follow exactly, but at least it will take me in the direction I want to go. Can you recommend any other streets in this area that I should not miss exploring? Is most of this walk downhill? Should we take other streets to avoid lots of uphill?

5. Exploring the waterfront: How do we get from Upper Water Street to Lower Water Street? Does most of the activity on the waterfront take place on Lower Water Street? Any other streets that we should not miss? We will continue along the waterfront making sure to spend some time at the Historic Properties.

6. We will continue along the waterfront to Pier 21. How do we get to Marginal Road where Pier 21 is located? Which directions do we turn on and off of Terminal? Is that where my cruise ship will be docked?

7. If we have inclement weather, what should we do intead of all of this walking?

8. If we choose to use FRED, are there long lines of people waiting to get on the bus in October, or is it easy to access whenever we want?

Yes, as you can probably tell, I have done my homework and nearly destroyed my one and only Fodor's Halifax map in the process. Please let me know what you think of this plan. Is all of this doable in about 7 hours? I appreciate all the help that you can provide.

Thanks,

Shelley:confused:

Hi Shelley:

I will try to answer most of your questions:

1. The walk from the port to the Maritime Museum will take about 10 minutes and is a flat easy walk along the waterfront.

2. It's about a half mile from the Museum to the Citadel and it is definately uphill but don't let that scare you off. I haven't been there for a long time but the taxi should be able to get you pretty close to the entrance. It's about a half mile from the museum to the Citadel and I have walked it many times. If you use the "street view" on Google maps and stand on Lower Water St at the base of Prince St and look staright up the hill it may help put it in perspective. You can see the grass at the corner of the Citadel property in the distance. It tried to copy and paste the view but it wouldn't work.

3. There are several entrances to the Public Gardens. The closet for you will be the one at the corner of Sackville and South Park and Bell Rd.

4. Once you leave the Public Gardens the walk will be flat or downhill (mostly downhill). The route you describe are the main streets through the dowtown area. It is also the main routes for the buses. I don't know if there would be any "can't miss" streets but don't be afraid to explore some of the nearby streets. There are some shops, etc. on the side streets right off the upper part of Spring Garden Rd. Also, some of the streets that are parellel to Barrington have some shops and bars, restaurants. Additionally, the area in front of City Hall is nice.

Not sure why you are going to Purdy's Wharf as they are simpy 2 office towers. If you're going there to start you walk along the waterfront you can save yourself a few minutes if you start at the Marriott Waterfront. There is some nice shops along the waterfront also.

5. From a road perspective, Lower Water St. turns into Upper Water St. If you are walking, there is a boardwalk that follows the waterfront and so you won't be on the sidewalk.

6. Again, because you will be walking, simply follow the boardwalk and it will take you right to Pier 21 and the cruise ship. If you are along the waterfront you can't miss it.

7. Some ideas: You could find a tour or taxi at the port and ask them to take you on a tour. You could also visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic right on the waterfront. Rent a car and explore on your on.

8. It's hard for me to answer this one because I don't use this service. I did hear that the FRED bus has become quite popular and they had to use some additional buses. I guess it would depend on how many ships are here that day. Here is a link to the 2009 schedule. I would assume that sometime over the winter the 2010 schedule will be posted. http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/index.html

You can do all of this in 7 hours but I guess it would depend how often you stop and look around and how long you spend at the Museum. If you were simply walking it's about 3.5 miles and route take about 1.5 hours.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit. :D

Thank you, Rickb!!! You are so helpful!

I will definitely check out the "street view" on Google maps for the Citadel walk. As for the walk from Spring Garden Road through Downtown, I will definitely explore smaller streets, not just the main boulevards. I plan to use the main roads as "guides" along the map so that I continue walking in the correct direction. With respect to the waterfront walk, the only reason I was starting at Purdy's Wharf was because one of my guide books indicated that that was a good starting point. I do not need to go that far, however, just to see 2 office towers, as you suggest. I certainly can start at the Marriott Waterfront instead. My Fodor's guidebook names the "Halifax Marriott Harbourfront" at 1919 Upper Water St. It looks like it's right in the Historic Properties area. Is that where you are suggesting that we begin the walk? What is the closest cross street that we should take from Downtown to get to the Marriott at the Waterfront?

Thanks so much for your help. I enjoyed corresponding with your wife, and if there are any other questions about LA or surrounding areas in my "neck of the woods," please let me know.

Shelley:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree with the others...you'll have plenty of time.

It is a climb up the streets to the Citadel. We walked it and chalked it up to good exercise! =) The Citadel and the Public Gardens (gorgeous!) mark the pinnacle of elevation; everything else is downhill. It's an easy downtown to wander in, directions-wise. Have fun!

8. It's hard for me to answer this one because I don't use this service. I did hear that the FRED bus has become quite popular and they had to use some additional buses. I guess it would depend on how many ships are here that day. Here is a link to the 2009 schedule. I would assume that sometime over the winter the 2010 schedule will be posted. http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/index.html

I was in Halifax on Oct 1 this year and there were 4 ships in port that day. It was impossible to get on a FRED bus even though they had additional buses. We decided to skip waiting for one and just walked up to the Citadel. The view from up there was spectacular. We didn't go inside the Citadel. It was definitely worth the walk. If you go to the waterfront, be sure to stop at the Beavertails stand and have a tasty treat! :D

I was in Halifax on Oct 1 this year and there were 4 ships in port that day. It was impossible to get on a FRED bus even though they had additional buses. We decided to skip waiting for one and just walked up to the Citadel.

Two ships were in port when we were there. I'd planned for us to take advantage of FRED, so I checked in the dock's visitor center for a current schedule. The person at the info desk advised us to skip FRED due to overcrowding, and he outlined on a map a simple walking tour. It worked out great. We took the suggested route but also explored on our own, too.

Thank you, Rickb!!! You are so helpful!

I certainly can start at the Marriott Waterfront instead. My Fodor's guidebook names the "Halifax Marriott Harbourfront" at 1919 Upper Water St. It looks like it's right in the Historic Properties area. Is that where you are suggesting that we begin the walk? What is the closest cross street that we should take from Downtown to get to the Marriott at the Waterfront?

Thanks so much for your help. I enjoyed corresponding with your wife, and if there are any other questions about LA or surrounding areas in my "neck of the woods," please let me know.

Shelley:)

I just noticed that I didn't answer this question for you :o. Yes, the Marriott Harbourfront is where you can start. Although it's only about a 5 minute walk from Purdys Wharf, there really isn't anything between Purdy's Wharf and the Marriott.

Archived