Semi-poisonous jellyfish in Coz?

Fat Boy

Are there any varieties of semi-poisonous jellyfish in Coz? My thumb went numb on our day in Coz (12 days ago), and still isn't right.

I did quite a bit of snorkeling with my kids that day. We encountered a few jellyfish (maybe 20 over the course of an afternoon), but other than size, they didn't look like the thimble jellyfish I've read about here (or researched on the internet).

These were 1 to 3 inches across, slightly box-shaped, completely clear (no markings at all), and had no tentatcles. At first glance, they looked like a shadow or smudge mark on my goggles. I would occasionally feel a quick "sting" (more like a pinch) on my back or leg, but no marks or lasting pain, except for my thumb.

I don't recall even getting stung on my thumb, but I would occasionally sweep them away from my younger daughters as we swam. My thumb went numb that afternoon. The next day I woke up and it had that sleepy-foot feeling... Numb to blunt trauma, sharp "tingling" pain when touching anything. It's been getting a little bit better each day, but is still a bit tingly after 12 days.

The thumb and the jellyfish may be completely unrelated (nothing else went numb), but I'm not sure what else I could have done that might cause this. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

FB

Archived