Advice: Waterproof Wallets

Porchbeers

Hi everyone, I wanted to pass on a little advice to you that never really hit me.

Many of you may have seen posted threads about waterproof wallets. Well, even as a divemaster, I never really gave it second thought until the two days ago. I was speaking with my instructor and we got on the tangent of talking about these little devices. He stated be keeps the to his car, a credit card, and a little cash when going diving. Then he asked me, where do you keep your keys, your wallet? I said in my dive bag. And if the ship goes down?

I got the point, he had a key to his car, a credit card, and some cash all tucked nicely in his BC if this would've happened to him. Me, my stuff would be at the bottom with the boat.

Needless to say, I started thinking about my wife and I cruising since we dive while cruising. I started to think, what if this happened to us and our sign and sail cards were at the bottom of the ocean with our ID? Can you imagine.

Needless to say, I am investing $6 in a mini drywox/wallet to keep our stuff in. I just thought this was an interesting angle to share. I never thought of these little items as "necessary" but now they are going to be part of my equipment bag.

Wouldn't you just be able to dive down to the boat and get your stuff? :D

I'm just kidding....but that thought did pop into my head for giggles.:rolleyes:

The waterproof wallet is a good idea. I've never dived, but we plan to snorkel, and I was thinking that I would love to keep my personal stuff like that on me, for security and peace of mind while in the water.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone used any of these small wallet sized cases I found at the waterproof store online at http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/smallwallet.html while snorkeling and/or scuba diving? Do you prefer having a waterproof container on a neck lanyard or on a waist belt and why?

Does anyone know of something that is better than these from Dry Pak? What is it and where did you get it?

I have two; one is like the card case and the other is like the wallet case. I used the card case on many cruises, as our ship's cards and a bit of cash would fit fine. I bought the larger one for land-based trips, as the car keys would not fit into the smaller one, and also wanted to have a credit card on hand as well.

The ones I have have the neck cord, and they are quite easy to pack. I usually put them into shoe to keep them from getting cracked. I'd prefer one that I could wear around my waist, but it would be bulkier.

I used this case, which worked great for our cash and credit cards. Also I was using an inexpensive non-waterproof watch on my excursions, so it was good to have a transparent case that I could put it in and still be able to see the time.

Also, it's lighter and less bulky than this type of molded plastic case, which nonetheless seems to be pretty popular and effective.

So does this mean that you have to keep everything with you while you're snorkeling or whatever? I was hoping that there would be lockers or somewhere we could stash our stuff while we're snorkeling? Perhaps I was thinking of Disneyland... :p

What about your dry clothes and what-not for the rest of the port day?

So does this mean that you have to keep everything with you while you're snorkeling or whatever? I was hoping that there would be lockers or somewhere we could stash our stuff while we're snorkeling? Perhaps I was thinking of Disneyland... :p

What about your dry clothes and what-not for the rest of the port day?

It really depends on where you going. some beaches do have lockers, Trunk Bay in St John does, I think Coki beach you can rent a locker at Coral world....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those water safes are fine for snorkeling, but you need a real water proof bag to take down to depth if you are diving. We have a tiny little bag I got on eBay that works great - like a small ziplock baggie that I tuck into my wetsuit when I dive. It's just big enough for some $ and ID - wouldn't be large enough for keys, but if you are on a cruise, that shouldn't be an issue.

I paid $6 for mine and well worth every penny. There are many different types available at dive shops - you'll pay about $10-$15 there. But go to eBay and see what they have - like I said I paid $6 for mine and that included shipping. The key word is "drybag".

Good luck.

Does anyone know the depth rating for the CC board waterproof case??

I would think at 60-80 feet down it might not work all that good.... any opinions??

I tried to dive with one, and it floods - they all do, but I actually have one from CC. Get a decent dry bag and you won't be sorry. They make really tiny ones that are the size of a credit card - that's all you need.

The reason you don't want to leave ID and money on a dive boat is on account of theft - not because it might sink!

I use the small plastic cases - similar to the CC ones or the ones they sell on a cruise ship - but probably a little thinner. I think they are made by Witz. Just big enough for sail & sign cards, drivers licenses, and one credit card with a few bills folded around them.

Never have any issues snorkeling on the surface. Sometimes stays dry and sometimes not when diving down 10 or 15 feet. I'm sure they'd get wet diving deeper than that - but I've never had a vendor, restaurant, nor taxi at a cruise stop refuse to accept wet money. And the rest of the items are just waterproof plastic anyways.

I really think that this thread was meant to be a joke. What happens if the dive boat sinks ????

I guess once I am rescued or swim ashore or are airlifted out by the coast guard, I will then be faced with the horrifying task of getting a new cruisecard! It was all goin' good up till then..

Maybe your instructor should pick his diveboats more carefully !

This is off the topic a bit, but 2 years ago I was on a dive boat in Costa Rica and had finished a roll of film while taking pictures of dolphins riding the wake of our boat. I change the film in my camera to take some more shots and having no pockets just slip the used film canister into the front of my bathing suit. I forgot to remove it and went on a 60 ft deep dive wearing only a nylon dive skin. During my dive I remember that I hadn't removed the film from my bathing suit and figured that it was ruined. After the dive upon opening the film canister I found it contained only a few drops of water. That film developed OK. So it you want to be cheap, use a Kodak film canister as a extremely low cost water resistant container .

I suggest you try your film canister out the first time empty as all kodak film canisters might not be created equally as well as the one I had.

Below is one of the shot from this film.

dolphin4a.jpg.5ea35c4246c99d238ef0589014fa256b.jpg

Archived