Lirica Question

jdls22

My wife and I are thinking of booking a cruise on the Lirica. My question is this: My wife is very sensitive regarding the movements of the ship. Last year we were on the Atlantica, and before that we have been on both Princess and several other lines. However my concern is that the Lirica is quite small. Has anyone had any problems with the movement of the ship? I know it all depends on the weather, etc. but is there anything out of the ordinary regarding this ship.

Thanks

Carolyn,

Finally I have a warm fuzzy feeling about this ship and this cruise. Based just on the reviews from last year I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole but because of those reviews I have done a lot of research on the changes that have been made for this year. Number one difference is that Rick Sasso who used to be instrumental in running Celebrity now is President & CEO of MSC Crusie Lines America. The main complaints from last year centered around the poor food and service in the dining room and buffet. Below is a letter Rick Sasso posted on this web-site. After reading a lot of pro and con reviews I have come to the conclusion that not everyone is cut out for a "non Amreican" cruise experience. No one wants bad food and rude waiters but that has been resolved. I have traveled in Europe and enjoyed the different atmosphere. I think there is a place for an Italian cruise line in the US market. There are enough cookie cutter experiences. I love Celebrity and have taken a half dozen of thier cruises but I'm looking forward to this one.

Rick Sasso letter:

December 29, 2004

I wanted to let Cruise Travel know how much I enjoyed the December 2004 issue's Ship of the Month feature on MSC LIRICA. Writer Glen Petrie's description of the ship, its unassuming elegance, and its subdued and relaxing nature accurately portrayed the MSC Cruises experience."

"Mr. Pitrie felt, however, the cruising onboard was not up to par with the rest of the cruise experience. I want him and all your readers to know that we have taken significant steps to enhance the culinary experience. Since Mr. Petrie traveled on MSC LIRICA, our line has brought the food service operation completely in-house, allowing us total control over the menu, the quality of the products served, and the preparation. Plus, in order to ensure freshness when MSC LIRICA and MSC OPERA sail in the Caribbean waters this winter, we have set up a warehouse and local suppliers to restock the ships. While we still have many products imported from Italy, this assures the finest quality of fresh products for both sides of the Atlantic."

"We have also expanded the options available not only in the dining rooms but also at the buffets and through room service. We have, indeed, made some adjustments to cater to the tastes of North American travelers, but we have not lost the "True Italian Signature" that is MSC Cruises."

"We hope your readers will sail with us in the Caribbean this Winter and see for themselves. We are confident they will find an exceptional culinary experience that is worthy of MSC Cruises".

Signed,

Richard E. Sasso, President & CEO, MSC Cruises USA

Having debarked Lirica today after the 17 day transatlantic I can confirm that we had a very stable ride, the ship has a slight tendency to wag its tail at times but nothing untoward.

While we enjoyed the cruise I think Rick Sasso might be a little premature if he thinks the dining room food and service etc is all fixed. Its better but they still have a way to go before most passengers would be satisfied.

We have trained our waiter up recently so if you want a fairly good one ask for Alfonso and Kris in La Bussola restaurant on deck 5, they are both exceptionally friendly and pleasant , speak good English and get it right most of the time.

Hi Turtle Derf- I also was a bit concerned about being on a smaller ship but have since stocked up on medication just in case. I don't even do rides at the fair. Avoid back seats of cars! My friend and I are boarding 2/04/05 to do the Panama Canal trip on Lirica. My very first cruise...how much to pack?

Jeana

Hi Jeana,

You should do fine this time of year. A lot of it is thinking that the motion is going to bother you. One thing you might try is a wrist band - this is an elastic cloth wrist band that has a small plastic button on the inside so that the button applies pressure to the area around your pulse point on the inside of your wrist. I have no idea why it works but it does because I have worn them before on cruise ships and while ocean racing on large sail boats where you really get tossed around. I can't remember the offical name for these things, something like Sea Bands, ?? Buy them before you sail as they are pretty pricey on the ship, if you can get them at all on this ship.

As to how much to pack? - On this ship I understand there is a lot of closet and drawer space so I would say bring what you want. I always end up bringing much more clothes than I ever need and some of it never gets out of the drawer, however, I know the ladies like to have a zillion outfits and if that's what give you a 'warm fuzzy', go for it. A few must items: buy a pair of those rubber swim/beach shoes (Target) if you plan to go to one of the beaches. The Caribbean waters have spinny things that you do not want to step on. Good sneekers or walking shoes as there is a lot of ground to cover on some of these islands. Saint Marrten is famous for its shops and bargains and you can spend the whole day going from one great store to the next. Make sure you have plenty of sun screen, a couple of good hats that tie down to your chin so they don't blow overboard, extra pair of eye glasses and sun glasses, a good book, a good camera or buy one in Saint Marrten which has the best deals in the islands. This cruise has 3 formal dress nights and just about every one dresses accordingly. What type of cabin do you have? Mid-ships, upper or lower deck?

Fred

• 1 month later...

You indicate that you wife is afraid of getting seasick. I suggest that you stop by almost any drug store and purchase "Seabands". they are elastic bands that fit around your wrist and have a little button that presses into your wrist two fingers above you wrist and prevents seasickness. This sounds a little out there, but they really work! On our first cruise I got a little sick, even though we used Ginger tablets and other remedies. On a latter cruise we got the .seabands in London (they are often available on the ships) Once we had them we were OK. On that transatlantic we actually ran into the tail end of a hurricane and had 40 foot waves, but had no trouble with seasickness. It is important to wear them properly. An other lady we met on the ship had put her seabands around her wrist at the pulse point, but had been seasick for six days. I readjusted her bands to two fingers above whe pulse point the day before we hit the hurricane. She sought me out the following morning to let me know that even with the 40 foot waves it was the first night she didn't get sick on the trip.

Get the bands and I hope you and your wife enjoy the cruise and all future cruises.

My wife and I are thinking of booking a cruise on the Lirica. My question is this: My wife is very sensitive regarding the movements of the ship. Last year we were on the Atlantica, and before that we have been on both Princess and several other lines. However my concern is that the Lirica is quite small. Has anyone had any problems with the movement of the ship? I know it all depends on the weather, etc. but is there anything out of the ordinary regarding this ship.

Thanks

Just returned from 2/15 sailing on MSC Lirica. As cruises go this one was windy. So much so that we could not get ashore at Saint Lucia and instead went to Martinique. This ship is very stable, I felt no motion discomfort at all nor did I see or hear of anyone else that did.

Archived