Posh Transatlantic

jax

Any recommendations about following the old Posh rule, i.e., book portside out and starboard home? Will be doing a B2B transatlantic from the U.S. in May and wondered if changing cabins is worth the effort to get the advantageous light. Isn't that the reasoning behind the Posh rule?

Any recommendations about following the old Posh rule, i.e., book portside out and starboard home? Will be doing a B2B transatlantic from the U.S. in May and wondered if changing cabins is worth the effort to get the advantageous light. Isn't that the reasoning behind the Posh rule?

If you did P.O.S.H from the US you'd be on the shady side of the ship in both directions....in anycase 'posh' does not stand for 'port-out, starboard-home'.....

Hmmmm.... that is what you Brits told me on prior travels. So would it be advisable to book starboard out/portside home to allow for the sunlight or just stay put? anyway Guernsey Guy, I have been meaning to ask you this. Does one need a zodiac boat to land on Guernsey? I was interested in a SilverSea (Prince Albert II) booking around the British Isles but was advised that several ports would only be accessed in those rubber dinghies. Made for doubts about their navigator.

It may not be true, but it's a cute little P&O tale that was even included in a song in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

O the posh posh traveling life, the traveling life for me

First cabin and captain's table regal company

Pardon the dust of the upper crust - fetch us a cup of tea

Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P-O-S-H, posh

In view of the fact that your not returning from India, the POSH rule cannot apply. I recommend that if you want to be on the sunny side of the ship, you travel starboard eastbound and port westbound, and you will be set.

Best Mike.

And actually the reason wasn't to get sun it was to avoid it in the day of the unairconditioned ship.

Mike.

Well I learn a lot from you all on this Cunard site. Now since our glorious QM2 is climatically controlled I won't have to worry about being too hot or cold. Just worry about my bar tab. Ha.ha.ha.

No - ships land passengers via tender.

Or not as the case may be. Cunard captains can be reluctant to launch tenders in "inclement" weather ( aka choppy seas) as happened to us off Guernsey a couple of years ago. This seems to be in line with their unwillingness to put their ships into port if conditions are less than ideal. Perhaps I do the "Senoir Service" a disservice.

Or not as the case may be. Cunard captains can be reluctant to launch tenders in "inclement" weather ( aka choppy seas) as happened to us off Guernsey a couple of years ago. This seems to be in line with their unwillingness to put their ships into port if conditions are less than ideal. Perhaps I do the "Senoir Service" a disservice.

QE2 and QM2 have to anchor further out from port than shallower draft cruise ships - like Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth - but even allowing for this, Cunard do seem to have more tendering problems in Guernsey than do P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Saga or Fred Olsen.....

Archived