What to do in Skagway

pma19

We also did the White Pass railway trip up to the Canadian border and back and enjoyed it very much. But, one of the most wonderful excursions we had on our cruise we did that afternoon. We took the ferry to Haynes and did the Chilkat River Eagle Preserve river float. It was not "white water" rafting but a calm and peaceful raft float through a federally protected eagle sanctuary. The scenery was breathtaking, our guide (Gabe) incredibly knowledgeable and informative, and the experience was just incredibly serene and awe inspiring. I can't recommend it highly enough.

DH and I did the exact same thing during our day in Skagway; the train up and back, and in the afternoon we took the float trip. After 77 days or so spent cruising it remains my favorite day.

For clearly stating you weren't interested in a train ride - you're sure getting a lot of suggestions for the train :-) We're going back in May, so I'm enjoying the other suggestions offered!!

I read it as the OP asked if the train was a "good idea or bad idea" and hence the train suggestions. Hope you enjoy the Red Onion Saloon. :)

Archived