Snorkel Gear - bring your own or rent?

KzooCruiser

My wife and I are novice snorkelers. What are the pros and cons of buying and taking your own gear on the cruise vs. renting from the ship or local vendor. Is a snorkel vest required or necessary? We snorkeled on our first cruise three years ago and neither of us can recall if we used vests.

We've rented and also brought our own gear. Unless you are afraid of the water, as in, can't swim, I wouldn't worry about having a vest. We have never used them and haven't missed them. The salt water makes you more bouyant so no need.

As for bringing you own gear, I would recommend you do. The stuff you rent is usually pretty dirty, easily fogged masks, and varied fit with the fins. The down side is you have to back them. We have ours in the mini backpack they came in. That comes in handy as we use the backpack for other stuff like a towel and snack.

We bought our snorkel gear at Sam's Club. There are some nice sets out there for not a lot of $$$.

Hope that is helpful, just my opinioin. :)

What are the pros and cons of buying and taking your own gear on the cruise vs. renting from the ship or local vendor.

As I see it here are the pro's and con's:

Bring your own:

The pros:

• You know the mask fits well. This is THE most important thing about snorkeling because if the mask leaks or is uncomfortable, you will have a very unpleasant experience.
  • You know that no one else has had your snorkel in their mouth
  • You pay for it only once
  • If you have your own fins, you know they fit your feet
  • They are always there for you if you want them

The cons:

• They cost more than a one time rental
  • You have to carry them with you when you go ashore
  • You have to pack them to bring with you on the cruise

For renting, the pros:

• You don't have to carry them or pack them

Cons:

• The mask might fit OK, then again, it might leak
  • other people have used that snorkel, yuk (I don't share my toothbrush either)
  • Fin size might not fit you very well
  • You might have look for a vendor to rent from if you want to go off on your own to snorkel, then have to return the gear after. That might not be convienient.

Archived