Muster Drill on Costa

dutrie

My wife and I will be sailing Costa Fortuna out of FLL in January. This is our first Costa cruise and I am wondering how Costa runs their Muster Drill.

I have seen it done several different ways on various cruise lines.

Princess does theirs inside in the lounges.

NCL has passengers stand outside on deck in rows several people deep trying to listen to the announcements.

How does Costa do it?

Is muster done right before leaving port or later in the cruise?

Costa's muster drill is done on the boat deck after leaving port. I have done it in lounges with RCI, Azamara, and NCL (the latter was during a November sailing out of NYC, so it was a little cold). I actually prefer it on deck because it is more realistic; you actually know the way to your lifeboat in the unlikely event of evacuation. Others may disagree, of course.

Luis

Thanks for the answers. I prefer the way Princess does it (inside) mainly because I can actually hear the instructions, but have done it both ways.

I have read many posts about all announcements in five languages. I imagine the muster drills are done in five languages even with a sailing out of Fort Lauderdale

We embarked aboard the Atlantica Oct. 25 in Quebec City with an overnight in port. The muster was conducted in a lounge with everyone wearing their life jackets but many passengers were talking during the presentation so I do have to wonder about the effectiveness of it all.

In the past, on other ships, I have seen passengers chastised for this type of behavior ...and rightly so. This drill must be approached in a serious manner. For some unfortunately, it is looked upon as an inconvenient interlude and a big joke.

I hate Muster Drills! I thought that this thread would give a clue on if I can avoid it on Costa. The last one that I did, I couldn't hear the instructor anyways.

Am I the only one who hates these things?!

-Heather

Not real crazy about them either but it's required by international law.

I agree, I really don't like muster drills, especially when we have to stand out in the hot sun and the crowds are so noisy you can't hear the instructions.

Some lines are very strict about attendance at muster, as I guess they should be as it is a requirement. I am not sure about Costa.

I have read a number of tricks for avoiding muster on other lines, but I don't know if they work. My last cruise on NCL they actually paged passengers requiring them to muster. I hear that those that missed had to make it up later.

• 2 weeks later...
Costa muster drills are hysterically inept.no further comment required.

I echo your comments Brian. :D In sharp contrast, the muster drills I have experienced on Cunard's QE2 were completely the opposite, very informative, and well run as they should be, especially if your business is transatlantic crossings. :rolleyes: Cunard's are held inside, while Costa's are outside and they have the staff photographers taking pictures to sell you later. For instance, Cunard actually demonstrated how to position your arm to prevent the life jacket from riding up if you actually had to enter the water. :eek:

Highlander0108 Our last "muster " with Costa was also held indoors, but no role was made just an aimless wandering around by someone with a clip board noting the cabin numbers on the lifejacket.I once did a RCI out of Miami and the muster was a shambles because the Spanish speaking passengers would not shut up and you could not hear the roll call.The following day we got the dreaded "you were not there " note. I told the front desk that they should get organised and control the passengers before they send out incorrect information notes.

• 3 months later...

Archived