what are the rules on bringing back coral??

texsam

Can someone tell me if you can bring back coral bought in the carribbean? What if it is already made up into jewlery. My wife wants some coral to bring back and I don't know if it is allowed. :confused:

I bought black coral jewelry in Grand Cayman 2 years ago & it wasn't an issue bringing it back to the states. Friends that were with us also purchased some & she was wearing hers when we came back thru customs & nothing was said. Sorry that I don't have a more up to date report.

As I recall, the restrictions are on the harvesting of black coral in designated underwater preserves throughout the Caribbean. There is also an element of risk in harvesting black coral for the divers due to the depth they must dive to find it. I believe local governments have concerns for the safety of the divers who take that risk for the carvers who turn a profit on their jewelery. My guess is that its a don't ask, don't tell kind of deal as to where the coral was harvested, but once its carved, where it came from is an issue between the government and the seller, not the buyer.

So, I don't believe there are any restrictions on purchasing jewelery made from it. In fact, there is a shop in Old San Juan that specializes in carving it and there are newspaper articles about the artist posted all over the shop. I've picked up a couple of pieces there and never had any problem bringing it home. Of course, Puerto Rico is part of the US so I never had to declare the jewelery to customs, but I also know there is a ton of it for sale in Cayman and Cozumel with no restrictions.

Any coral in a processed form, meaning made into jewelry, or a sculpture, or even a small piece you found on the beach that you might want to bring home(I'd advise against it unless you can bleach it first...stinky!) is perfectly legal to bring back home.

However, if you are diving, or snorkeling, in any of the ports you stop in, chances are you will be in a marine park, and it is definitely against the law (under heavy fine) to take ANYTHING dead or alive out of a marine park. This includes coral, shells, sand dollars, or anything that exists in the park. (This would also include any artifacts or "treasure" you may find ;) ) Laws concerning the harvesting of black coral should really not apply here, as most recreational divers and snorkelers should never be at the depth required to see and harvest this type of coral.

Having been a scuba diver for over 15 years, the rule of thumb is to look... but don't touch :)

Archived