Can you bring bottled water/sodas in your checked luggage?

imawestie

Yes, be careful packing it though. I have had cans of soda broken! Also, if I understand correctly, they will not open your luggage, so if they suspect liquor you will have to go to the naughty room to claim it. Consider carrying your drink on instead of checking.

We brought a 12 pack of diet coke to the pier and sent it thru with our luggage on the Dawn out of NYC. It was taped with a luggage tag to be delivered to our room . It came on time with the rest but the cornor of the box was torn open to be examined, I guess. None were removed. I know others did the same with water. We chose to cary on a few empty bottles that we refilled on board and refrigerated in the room.

Eileen N

How was the water that you refilled your bottles with? I was thinking of doing that since it would be so much easier than carrying water on board. I drink a lot of water every day and it would cost me quite a bit to purchase bottled water on board. I thought I would purchase a few bottles on board and save the bottles to refill from the tap.

I think the water on board is perfectly acceptable. I bring on a couple of bottles of water, then refill them in the room from the tap and refrigerate them, take them out on shore excursions, etc.

Wise. Definitely the way to go.

If you're taking a case of soda, I'd definitely have it sent separately (i.e. tag stuck on the carton). That's one less piece of luggage to worry about, plus what if a can bursts? Worst that'll happen is some code gets on the outside of your luggage (which is surely somewhat water-resistant), vs bursting inside your luggage with all your clothes/electronics/whatever.

As for water, if I remember correctly the ship uses reverse osmosis for its water. Basically the best method for filtering water, possibly better than the bottled water you can buy.

I think the water on board is perfectly acceptable. I bring on a couple of bottles of water, then refill them in the room from the tap and refrigerate them, take them out on shore excursions, etc.

Now there is somebody with some smarts!

And green!

And not so broke!

The process of reverse osmosis makes the water better than many sources. I use it for my C pap machine in lieu of distilled water. If the water contained chemicals or minerals it would leave residue in my humidifier and it does not.

Archived