Shopping

caribbound

I don't know how much time we'll have after an Uxmal tour, but I read a brief note that prices here are "cheaper than tomorrow" when we're in Cozumel. Those are our only two port stops and I'll have my 10 and 13 yr old girls with me. I guess we might be looking at simple jewelry, Tshirts and liquor. I remember Cozumel having excellent prices on large bottles of Bailey's when we were there but I didn't know US prices to compare. I later got hooked on it (esp. in hot cocoa!) and regretted not buying any since it's so expensive. Is there a place you'd recommend to buy great priced duty free or whatever alcohol? If not where's the better prices to be found in Cozumel? Is there a big difference in prices between the two on souvenir stuff? They're doing the dolphin swim so I imagine we'll have more time if we want to shop in Cozumel, but it Tshirts are $5 more for the same thing, might as well buy them in Progresso! (if there's time)

TIA

Over all the prices can be quite a bit lower in Progreso compared to Cozumel. For booze the best deals will be found for tequila. Check the prices on board for the Baileys and compare to shore prices. Also the shops in Progreso are more open to bargaining than the shops in Cozumel. 3 for $7-10 t-shirts are plentiful. Have fun, Progreso is a wonderful old Yucatan town and still has a very small town atmosphere. Very laid back and relaxed.

Thanks.

I have a hard time thinking of bargaining with a culture that is so poor. I'm a clearance shopper, so I'm all about getting things cheap, but I don't feel sorry for the mega chain stores like I would a family of 7 who lives in 3 rooms.

Archived