SanDiego Port Question...

lancenjulie

We are sailing on the Spirit soon (yipee!!!). For some reason, I seem to remember someone on here saying that when you get to this port, you cannot drop your baggage off out front with the Porters. I just ask because we have never sailed out of this port - we are used to Fort Lauderdale - where the Porters are all over the place - ready and willling to take your baggage (for a tip!). We are going to have a rental car and wanted to drop off our luggage then go turn in the car...that way we are not lugging it all over! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

The DW and I sailed Princess out of SD in January of 2007. I dropped my DW at the terminal and then proceeded to a designated area for luggage handling and a porter came to take our luggage. Once your luggage is taken care of, you must leave the terminal area as there isn't any parking there. You are then free to park, return the rental car, or do whatever your situation dictates.

Thanks so much for all of your information!! I may have dreamed it! I get so excited before cruising that for a couple weeks prior - I start dreaming of really random things related to the cruise - the luggage thing must have been one of them!! LOL

PS - we did join the roll call this past summer!!

We have sailed out of SD several times and it has been different each time. Last time they did have the porters inside the building, kind of like when you disembark. There was a line to get into the building then it was like usual, porters all over the place.

Now, as to actually driving thru there. The terminal is VERY small. If there is not a parking spot on the curb, you will have to circle the terminal. Sounds easy, but you actually have to exit the terminal, cross two lanes of busy traffic to get to the left turn lane, to make a u-turn and start all over. The security is very strict on the parking or double parking here. It might be easier if you were to drop off rental car, keeping your luggage with you and then take a taxi? (if that is what you were going to do) to get back to the port. Just a thought.

Have a great time. We have been on Spirit 3 times and love the ship. Wish we were going too!

Has anyone ever told you guys - YOU ROCK! The information you folks provide on here is simply priceless!! Thanks so much again!! I think we are simply going to drop off the car and grab a taxi - I am all about the least stressful option!! Wow - I appreciate all of your posts!:D

Has anyone ever told you guys - YOU ROCK! The information you folks provide on here is simply priceless!! Thanks so much again!! I think we are simply going to drop off the car and grab a taxi - I am all about the least stressful option!! Wow - I appreciate all of your posts!:D

Although you can drive thru and drop off (we have done this before) I would drop off the car and take a cab also.......that way other family members don't have to stand around and wait for you.........

I love sailing out of San Diego! Have a great cruise!

Archived