Back from 1 night cruise - Rihanna, GMA & coolest things they aren't talking about

We just got back from the cruise for ASAP winners on the 19th. We were very delayed in departing because Rihanna wanted to perform and then disembark so we had to wait until the concert was over and for her crew to tear down the stage and get off the ship. The concert started a lot later than planned. This was kind of disappointing because we had a lot less time 'at sea' to feel how Oasis handled herself.

The Good Morning America stuff and crew was EVERYWHERE. And each deck was assigned a certain neighborhood that we had to gather at starting at 6:00 AM to create the crowd effect. I was up at 5:00 AM and at my deck's assigned post (the sports pool) and I was the only one there! On the upside, I did get to see an awesome sunrise and I watched the opening segments of the show being filmed live. After they filmed each segment they literally ran to the next location on the ship and the cruise director would announce overhead "we are now at commercial break" so it really was live.

The ship is, of course amazing. All the neighborhoods are perfectly detailed. But here is what impressed me the most - the technology they are using for crowd management and ease of getting around is simply genius. On each deck located at the elevators is a large touch screen monitor (looks like a giant iPhone). It lists options for the user like "find your cabin", locate an area on the ship, listing of eating venues etc. It is GPS enabled and if you type in your cabin number it will map out the quickest route to get to your cabin.

The second bit of techno-brilliance is the restaurant capacity monitor in the Windjammer (it may have been in the other eating venues as well). The same type of touch screen monitor lists how populated all the eating venues are and approximate wait times for the specialty restaurants. It uses a thermometer type graphic - if a restaurant is full the bar is red and filled to the end.

Everything is so easy to find I was able to get around easily and find everything within a couple hours. (I spent 7 days on the Carnival Majesty one time and never did find my way around!). User-friendly is the best way to describe the Oasis. My two favorite spots are Central Park and the Solarium. The loft suites are jazzy understated hip and retro if that makes sense and the price doesn't seem unfathomable (the largest loft suite sleeping 6 will go for around 24K in low season). I could never afford it but some people could and will pay that for it. The ship wasn't filled to capacity (there were about 3500-4000 and I found several places that were deserted, beautiful little nooks to curl up in, rows and rows of empty lounges. Not sure what will happen when she's carrying 6K but I'm thinking there will be lots of wiggle room. You could easily get onboard with someone and never run into them again in 7 days. I would highly recommend walkie talkies or a "meet me here if we get separated" deal. That would not be the time to test out your telepathy with your significant other.

I fell in love with the ship in about 30 minutes. She is an absolute darling. Can't wait to meet her sister!

Oh -- forgot to say -- We did NOT have a muster drill. I was shocked. We went on the Royal Caribbean Liberty pre-inaugural cruise a few years ago -- the same one night deal -- and still had a muster drill. I guess because our departure time was kind of up in the air and we sailed so late, but still. I thought that was required no matter what. Oh well, we obviously didn't have any problems, just thought that was weird.

Thanks for your thoughts on the cruise - it sounds like you had fun. I was surprised to hear that they assigned everyone to certain areas in order to artificially make a crowd for GMA, thanks for sharing that little bit of information.

One question, did you happen to notice how accurate the restauraunt wait thing in Windjammers seemed?

Thanks for the info. Sounds wonderful. Is CD Richard Spacey on board as wll as Ken Rush?

Hey Jane,

How've you been? :D

I'm curious as to what CD(s) are on board. I thought Richard was the best when we had him on Freedom. I havent seen much of Ken but from what i saw he seemed..bland to say the least.

Everything is so easy to find I was able to get around easily and find everything within a couple hours. (I spent 7 days on the Carnival Majesty one time and never did find my way around!). User-friendly is the best way to describe the Oasis. My two favorite spots are Central Park and the Solarium. The loft suites are jazzy understated hip and retro if that makes sense and the price doesn't seem unfathomable (the largest loft suite sleeping 6 will go for around 24K in low season). I could never afford it but some people could and will pay that for it. The ship wasn't filled to capacity (there were about 3500-4000 and I found several places that were deserted, beautiful little nooks to curl up in, rows and rows of empty lounges. Not sure what will happen when she's carrying 6K but I'm thinking there will be lots of wiggle room. You could easily get onboard with someone and never run into them again in 7 days. I would highly recommend walkie talkies or a "meet me here if we get separated" deal. That would not be the time to test out your telepathy with your significant other.

I fell in love with the ship in about 30 minutes. She is an absolute darling. Can't wait to meet her sister!

We can't either. We are booked on the Allure for 2011.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. There is an incredible streaming video taped by Cruise Critic TV circulating (If you can get it to play). But nothing beats being there first hand. I'm not sure how many people were onboard during the taping by CCTV, but it did not appear crowded at all. I am very pleased to hear the ship is so user friendly. I thought the Rising Tide Bar was a neat concept.

Hey Jane - JOAN

How've you been? :D

I'm curious as to what CD(s) are on board. I thought Richard was the best when we had him on Freedom. I havent seen much of Ken but from what i saw he seemed..bland to say the least.

Excuse my silly typo ;) I was talking to a Jane at the moment. Hehe

Thanks for your thoughts on the cruise - it sounds like you had fun. I was surprised to hear that they assigned everyone to certain areas in order to artificially make a crowd for GMA, thanks for sharing that little bit of information.

One question, did you happen to notice how accurate the restauraunt wait thing in Windjammers seemed?

It seemed fairly accurate from what I could tell. In the morning for breakfast only the Windjammer, Promenade Cafe, and Central Park Cafe were open so there were a LOT of people in the Windjammer but we were still able to find a seat. Another nice thing was they left the Royal Promenade open during debarkation - the restaurants and bars were serving food and it was much more relaxed and people seemed happier. Maybe it was because of we were on the ship for so long that morning (didn't start disembarking until noon) but the process seemed smoother.

We just got back from the cruise for ASAP winners on the 19th. We were very delayed in departing because Rihanna wanted to perform and then disembark so we had to wait until the concert was over and for her crew to tear down the stage and get off the ship. The concert started a lot later than planned. This was kind of disappointing because we had a lot less time 'at sea' to feel how Oasis handled herself.

The Good Morning America stuff and crew was EVERYWHERE. And each deck was assigned a certain neighborhood that we had to gather at starting at 6:00 AM to create the crowd effect. I was up at 5:00 AM and at my deck's assigned post (the sports pool) and I was the only one there! On the upside, I did get to see an awesome sunrise and I watched the opening segments of the show being filmed live. After they filmed each segment they literally ran to the next location on the ship and the cruise director would announce overhead "we are now at commercial break" so it really was live.

The ship is, of course amazing. All the neighborhoods are perfectly detailed. But here is what impressed me the most - the technology they are using for crowd management and ease of getting around is simply genius. On each deck located at the elevators is a large touch screen monitor (looks like a giant iPhone). It lists options for the user like "find your cabin", locate an area on the ship, listing of eating venues etc. It is GPS enabled and if you type in your cabin number it will map out the quickest route to get to your cabin.

The second bit of techno-brilliance is the restaurant capacity monitor in the Windjammer (it may have been in the other eating venues as well). The same type of touch screen monitor lists how populated all the eating venues are and approximate wait times for the specialty restaurants. It uses a thermometer type graphic - if a restaurant is full the bar is red and filled to the end.

I meant to type "Carnival DESTINY"

Excuse my silly typo ;) I was talking to a Jane at the moment. Hehe

No problem. I am still trying to find out if Richard Spacey is on board. I know Ken Rush is there, but I thought I heard that there were going to be two CD's. I've sailed several times with Richard and I think he is the best.

Archived