Serious injuries in Jeep crash in Cozumel

shorton

Here's a link to a story on the crash between two Jeeps in Cozumel last week that seriously injured several Legend passengers. I heard from a security officer aboard the Legend that several others were killed, possibly Disney passengers (unconfirmed). Does anyone have more info?

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/19/191930/tampa-police-officer-badly-hurt-cozumel-crash/

http://www.dqr.com.mx/index.php/Cozumel/Nota-RojaCOZ/Jeeps-de-la-muerte.html

One jeep was carrying pax from Carnival Legend and the other (yellow jeep) was carrying pax from a Disney ship. Two people from the Disney ship died.

Sorry, it's in Spanish. On the Cozumel forum at Tripadvisor-it's also being reported that all the victims were robbed of their belongings after the crash.

How terrible. After seeing the way they drive in Cozumel, there is no way that I would ever rent a vehicle there and drive myself anywhere. The cautions they post in the capers are seriously scary..especially after reading about these deaths.

http://www.dqr.com.mx/index.php/Cozumel/Nota-RojaCOZ/Jeeps-de-la-muerte.html

I went on-line and googled a Spanish to Enlgish translation and here is the English text version. Here is what came up. Some of it is still in

COZUMEL, November 18 .- Two people killed, nine injured and damage close to half a million pesos, was the balance resulting in a brutal clash between two cars Jeep type, cross the road, traveling in foreign and domestic tourists.

Preliminary data realize that this Wednesday about 14:30 pm, Jose Carlos Perez was driving the Jeep Tracker, red plates, TMC 5188, by the access road to the archaeological site of San Gervasio, and upon reaching the junction with the cross road did not observe a high binding and was brutally struck by another Jeep, yellow plates 6688TMC, speeding led by Lora foreign Mesh.

The red jeep, was dragged more than 30 meters and was embedded in a tree, while its five occupants were flung out through the air, unfortunately, the national tourist died Adriana Cecilia Lozano Sandoval, 21 years old, who when they drop I hit my head against some rocks.

Yellow jeep were injured, Laura Mits, Andrea Law, Jannie Alttomar Paul Redeer, Charlie and Anthony Lora conductive mesh, while the red Jeep was Javier Yam Mex, Jose Carlos Perez, Brea Jeane and Laura Cherry, who were channeled to various hospitals and clinics in the city.

It is noteworthy that some of the wounded were found in a bush in the middle of the road and inside the twisted iron bars, so that some police called it one of the most tragic and nightmarish scenes as they had never seen or heard and cries of pain from several injuries.

Until press time, we know that the nine wounded, a male tourist who was treated at the clinic Hyperbaric died of injuries, however, generally are unknown, just as was announced that of the eight survivors, three of them are very serious and that their lives are in danger.

One jeep was carrying pax from Carnival Legend and the other (yellow jeep) was carrying pax from a Disney ship. Two people from the Disney ship died.

No one should EVER drive a car in Mexico. I drove a company car once in Monterrey, and will never do so again.

If you don't die, they will throw you in jail for having a car accident that injures someone. That's no lie - have a wreck, go directly to jail, don't pass GO and don't collect $200.

No one should EVER drive a car in Mexico. I drove a company car once in Monterrey, and will never do so again.

If you don't die, they will throw you in jail for having a car accident that injures someone. That's no lie - have a wreck, go directly to jail, don't pass GO and don't collect $200.

Stop it. I've ridden a motorcycle down to Baja and we rented a car in Cozumel. Accidents happen anywhere.

We rented our jeep and drove around the island but was surprised to see how many people were drinking and driving both jeeps and mopads and driving to fast for the condition of the road.

We drove by this accident about and hour after it had happened and it was very sad to see a sheet over one of the bodies. Due to the damage of both jeeps we knew that their had to be deaths. A very sad day for many who were on holidays just trying too have fun.

Stop it. I've ridden a motorcycle down to Baja and we rented a car in Cozumel. Accidents happen anywhere.

Yes, but if they happen here in the USA, you don't go to jail if you injure someone (provided you are not DUI.)

Thanks, but I'll take public transportation any day over driving.

This is really tragic. The worst traffic accident that I have heard of in Cozumel.

Not long ago, an RCI passenger fell off an excursion boat and in to the propeller. His family watched him, well, you can imagine. It wasn't pretty.

As for this incident, 11 people in two Jeeps? :confused:

Agree, I go to Mexico several times a year for land vacations and always rent a car or a jeep. Been doing this for years and have never had any issues. Accidents do happen anywhere. Usually when a gringo is involved alcohol is a contributing factor as it is here in the good old USA. I do not drink and drive, period. When in Mexico or home and I go out with drinking in mind I call a cab. The only place that I will not drive is Mexico City, traffic is just too crazy in that city. Common sense goes a long way sometimes.

The author of this note on Tripadvisor asks for someone to post it on Cruise Critic, so here it is.

"Sad accident - please drive safely - ” (Antonio, Cozumel)

Nov 19, 2009, 6:06 PM

I know that to many visitors, our main roads might seem like lazy country roads, I've had more than 1 person chuckle when I call the road around the island a "highway". Yesterday some unfortunate visitors found out the hard way.

2 jeeps with visitors from 2 different cruise ships, 5 in one jeep, 6 in the other, both exceeding the allowed capacity, 1 jeep at excessive speed on the cross island road, the other jeep pulled out from San Gervacio ruins, at excessive speed, pulled out right into the main road, in front of the other jeep. No one wearing seat belts. Tragedy. 2 dead (1 of them a 21yr old college student), 9 injured, both jeeps totalled, 11 vacations ruined. Why do people on vacation behave in a way they wouldn't at home? Why would the jeep coming out of the ruins pull out into the main road, without looking first?? Only God knows. Very sad event, very tragic.

If anyone reading this posts on Cruise Critic, please copy this message and post there.

Please folks, drive safely in Cozumel...

:-(

We just returned from the Legend. We were late leaving the dock because Carnival sent the ship Dr. to the hospital to check on the accident victims. We later heard they also flew someone in from their headquarters. We were inpressed with Carnival's attention to the victims of the crash. I am even more impressed now, to learn they were not even on a Carnival excursion, and Carnival was being so caring. I truly hope that everyone recovers from this terrible accident.

In Mexico, an automobile accident is a criminal offense. It isn't treated the same as in the US. This includes minor fender-benders. I would never drive a vehicle in Mexico.

In Mexico, an automobile accident is a criminal offense. It isn't treated the same as in the US. This includes minor fender-benders. I would never drive a vehicle in Mexico.

They had 11 people in 2 jeeps (which are unstable by design). Nothing to do with Mexico.

Yes, but if they happen here in the USA, you don't go to jail if you injure someone (provided you are not DUI.)

Thanks, but I'll take public transportation any day over driving.

I agree, accidents happen anywhere, but I will not drive in a foreign country. I've seen too many documentaries about countries that throw all drivers in an accident in jail, while they sort out the details. Then, you have to hope their accident investigators get the real facts. No thanks.

They had 11 people in 2 jeeps (which are unstable by design). Nothing to do with Mexico.

What is trying to be pointed out is that an accident will get you thrown in jail in Mexico. A traffic violation will get you in jail until you pay the fine or bribe the police and if you do not have Mexican insurance you pay a high fine and most likly spend a day or two in jail. You don't want to even spend a day in a Mexican jail.

It is not fun to drive in Mexico without proof Mexican insurance for liability.

Mexico has traffic laws very similar to the United States. The application of their laws is what accounts for the differences, and the reasons for needing Mexican insurance. The law in Mexico is based on the Napoleonic Code where guilt prevails over the assumption of innocence. In the U.S., the law is based on the English Common Law where innocence prevails over the assumption of guilt. Mexico does not have compulsory automobile insurance. The basic difference between Mexico's and United States financial responsibility law is that anyone involved in an accident in Mexico must have the means to respond to damages or injuries for which they may be responsible....which in Mexico would be in the form of either cash or a Mexican insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Whether or not U.S. insurance policy extends coverage into Mexico, the LIABILITY coverage on a Mexican insurance should at least always be purchased. The Liability coverage on your U.S., or any other non-Mexican insurance policy, is not recognized by authorities in Mexico. Only a Mexican automobile liability policy is acceptable evidence of financial responsibility.

Everyone should be very careful of driving in Mexico and understand the laws and requirement for Mexican insurance.

Archived