Mexico Excursions w/ 4 year olds ?? Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta

EmmaJean

Looking for suggestions for what my 4 and 5 year old boys might enjoy as excursions in Mexico: Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlan. We'd love to hear what worked well for your family.

We are going in February with my parents. 6 people total. None of us have been there before. I've been looking at Carnival's listings as Family activities, and I really don't think a Tequiila Factory Tour with Tequila sampling is an appropriate family activity:confused: Some of the others sound better, to be fair. Cost is a factor. But if it was worth it, let us know.

Thanks so much.

What about horseback riding in Mazaltan? Anyone that does not want to ride can meet everyone on the beach? The beach was amazing when we got off the horses. Best excursion ever

054.jpg

My son said Cabo and Puerto Vallarta were too hot and would not do anything. He says the best way to see Cabo is from the ship.

We just got back from a cruise to Cabo. We have a 3y/o and 1 y/o. We always just like to hang out at the beach so we just grab a water taxi fromn the dock to "The Office". This time we ended up getting some lounge chairs on the beach at the Mango restaurant next door to the office. For 6 adults and 3 kids (including my in laws) we spent about $150 for everything including the water taxi, lunch and some drinks.

Looking for suggestions for what my 4 and 5 year old boys might enjoy as excursions in Mexico: Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlan. We'd love to hear what worked well for your family.

We are going in February with my parents. 6 people total. None of us have been there before. I've been looking at Carnival's listings as Family activities, and I really don't think a Tequiila Factory Tour with Tequila sampling is an appropriate family activity:confused: Some of the others sound better, to be fair. Cost is a factor. But if it was worth it, let us know.

Thanks so much.

If you do a search under each of those places here on the Family Boards, you'll find great suggestions that have worked for others.

BigPuma just handled Cabo, so for Puerto Vallarta you can walk to the Krystal Resort. They have a playground, kids pool, huge pool complex and umbrellas and lounges on the beach. You pay $20 per adult which then is credited to you in food and beverage - and it's good food.

For Mazatlan, others have walked or taxi'd to the ferry to Stone Island for a beach day.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from a cruise to Cabo. We have a 3y/o and 1 y/o. We always just like to hang out at the beach so we just grab a water taxi from the dock to "The Office". This time we ended up getting some lounge chairs on the beach at the Mango restaurant next door to the office. For 6 adults and 3 kids (including my in laws) we spent about $150 for everything including the water taxi, lunch and some drinks.

Thank you for these responses. These, along with the other recent posts, are giving me a much better idea of what to expect and what to do in port.

What is "the office"? Do you just take US dollars to pay for things? Do you negotiate all prices or are prices set and posted? What should we expect to pay for things like the water taxi or food?

In PV, the Krystal Resort sounds nice. $20 for adults, and how about the kids? What kind of a walk is it?

flsunnymommy, what time of year was it so hot there? I would think February would be nice.

What is "the office"? Do you just take US dollars to pay for things? Do you negotiate all prices or are prices set and posted? What should we expect to pay for things like the water taxi or food?

In PV, the Krystal Resort sounds nice. $20 for adults, and how about the kids? What kind of a walk is it?

flsunnymommy, what time of year was it so hot there? I would think February would be nice.

There is no need to use pesos - dollars are accepted. Bring small bills because the change you receive will probably be pesos, and you don't want to deal with the hassle/expense of changing the money back.

The walk to the Krystal is about 10 minutes. I've done it alone with my big double stroller many times. There is a shorter "back" way than heading down the main road - you can find directions on the ports-of-call board with pictures I believe, but it's very easy - there's a gate behind the marketplace at the port that you go through and head straight down that street, and it dead ends at the Krystal where there's a gate with a guard who will take your payment and let you through.

They have never charged me for my twins, who were 4 the last time we were there (though I ended up spending money for them as well - lunch and drinks). You might post this question on the ports of call board as well and see if anyone else has been charged for children. I also bring some dollars or fives to give to the man who sets up an umbrella and chairs on the beach for us. There are vendors who pass by on the beach (they're not allowed at the pool), but they have been without exception very polite and take "no thank you" as a final answer.

Best,

Mia

Just wanted to add, when we went to the Krystal, they didn't ask us for the $20, just waved us in through the back gate that Mia described. Their food and drinks were indeed good. We asked some official-looking dudes at the pier which was was the Krystal and they directed us where to go.

The office is the name of a restaurant on the beach. There are actually several restaurants right on the beach. We actually hung out at a restaurant called Mango next door to the office. They let us use their lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach as long as we bought food and drinks from them.

As for the water taxi you should expect to pay about $3/person from the harbor to the beach area and about $2/person on the way back. They will offer you round trip for $5 but don't bother since you can get a ride back for $2/person anyway. That way you don't have to set up a return time and can head back whenever you want.

Just wanted to add, when we went to the Krystal, they didn't ask us for the $20, just waved us in through the back gate that Mia described. Their food and drinks were indeed good. We asked some official-looking dudes at the pier which was was the Krystal and they directed us where to go.

Thank you for mentioning that - I forgot to include that out of the six times we've gone, I've been charged at the gate three times (and given a voucher for $20 to use for food/beverage). The policy seems to change from year to year - probably depending on if they find that passengers are spending money while using the facility or not. Once when we were there a large family we recognized from the ship were there taking up a large number of chairs and using the facilities, and brought their own drinks and snacks, which I imagine is the kind of behavior that causes the "cover" charge. So I always am just prepared to pay the charge (which is then applied to food/beverage charges) since I'm going to spend it there either way. It's so worth it - especially compared to the cost of a ship beach excursion.

Best,

Mia

So the beach is the place to be. I've been telling my husband about the activities and I remembered that he didn't really enjoy going to the beach (when we were in California). I think he doesn't like sand on his feet.:o

Do you recommend any family activities that would give us a bit of Mexican culture?

Thanks.

Archived