Porting in Montego Bay

LakeTravisJK

Are there shops or open-air market, restaurants, taxis available right at the cruise dock? This is our first time to Jamaica, and we want to find some authentic Jerk Chicken to sample, along with souveniers to buy. We are looking for some outdoor adventures, preferably snorkeling, and also if there's anything that is a must-do while in Montego Bay. We've heard Doctors Cave is decent, and there's a reef not toofar out; can you walk to it from the cruise terminal?

Are there shops or open-air market, restaurants, taxis available right at the cruise dock? This is our first time to Jamaica, and we want to find some authentic Jerk Chicken to sample, along with souveniers to buy. We are looking for some outdoor adventures, preferably snorkeling, and also if there's anything that is a must-do while in Montego Bay. We've heard Doctors Cave is decent, and there's a reef not toofar out; can you walk to it from the cruise terminal?

Hi,

Just up the road from you in Fredericksburg... We have been to MoBay twice & will be on the Conquest in January. So far, we have only done ship sponsored excursions. First time was a boat that picked us up, took us to Dr's Cave & then Margaritaville. Last time we did the Shopping & Highlights. There are a handful of shops in the terminal.Yyou would need to take a taxi (red plate) or the bus to get into town. I believe you pay $15 & can get on & off the bus all over town.

We are going to Sunset Beach this time. We wanted a beach day & this one is half the price of the one through Carnival. Based on all the reviews on CC, I am not worried about it not being a Carnival excursion. I just booked on Saturday & forgot to book the transfers, I emailed them & had a reply within 2 hours & had my tickets ready to print when I checked email this morning.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Happy cruising.

Hi,

Just up the road from you in Fredericksburg... We have been to MoBay twice & will be on the Conquest in January. So far, we have only done ship sponsored excursions. First time was a boat that picked us up, took us to Dr's Cave & then Margaritaville. Last time we did the Shopping & Highlights. There are a handful of shops in the terminal.Yyou would need to take a taxi (red plate) or the bus to get into town. I believe you pay $15 & can get on & off the bus all over town.

We are going to Sunset Beach this time. We wanted a beach day & this one is half the price of the one through Carnival. Based on all the reviews on CC, I am not worried about it not being a Carnival excursion. I just booked on Saturday & forgot to book the transfers, I emailed them & had a reply within 2 hours & had my tickets ready to print when I checked email this morning.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Happy cruising.

Thanks MicksMom. What's $15, the taxi ride from cruise terminal to town or some type of bus pass? I'm not so sure about riding a bus when I don't know my way around. What's the going rate for taxis getting to town, to and from the cruise terminal? What about from town to Dr. Cave's Beach?

Also, was your previous boat trip to Drs. Cave/Margaritaville the "Dreamers Catamaran tour"? If you snorkeled at Drs. Cave how was it? Sunset Beach - does it have a reef to snorkel from? Where is it in relation to the cruise terminal?

Thanks MicksMom. What's $15, the taxi ride from cruise terminal to town or some type of bus pass? I'm not so sure about riding a bus when I don't know my way around. What's the going rate for taxis getting to town, to and from the cruise terminal? What about from town to Dr. Cave's Beach?

Also, was your previous boat trip to Drs. Cave/Margaritaville the "Dreamers Catamaran tour"? If you snorkeled at Drs. Cave how was it? Sunset Beach - does it have a reef to snorkel from? Where is it in relation to the cruise terminal?

Hi,

$15 is per person for the bus. We have never taken a taxi but pretty sure I have read on here a taxi to Dr Cave is $10 - guessing that is for 2 passengers. You can definitely walk from Dr Cave to Margaritaville & there are a few more shops right there but past that, you would need a taxi.

Our boat trip was throught RCCL but it is basically the same as Dreamers. DD did a little snorkeling there (first time ever) so I really can't help there. Have heard MoBay isn't the greatest for snorkeling. Some of the reviews for Sunset Beach have a few pictures from snorkeling. I remember seeing Sunset Beach from the ship, some have said you can walk there in 10-15 minutes.

The only place I did not like in MoBay was the craft market. It is a very poor area & people kept pulling at us to come into their shops (nothing more that a few boards & tarps. DD had her hair braided there & women kept coming & pulling on my arm to look at their stuff while she was having her hair done. Sorry, I wasn't taking my eyes off of my DD. I purchased a few items there & found them half the price at the terminal when we got back...

Hope this helps.

Archived