Tendering question

Luke gs Daddy

When tendering in Belize how much time should I plan for while trying to bebark ? I am looking to book an independent excursion. I know ther are some variables to consider. Just wondering about maybe an average ?

That depends on so many factors, but let me try to cover some of them.

The cruise lines will generally disembark their own tours first - meaning that the first several tenders (or more) will be full of guests going on ship-sponsored excursions.

We were just in Belize City with Holland America, and tendering was to begin at 7:00 am with guests on ship excursions departing first. We had a private excursion with Major Tom so wanted to get off the ship as early as possible. Holland America require folks on private tours to pick up tender tickets - the first folks in line pick up tickets that allow them on the first "open" tenders. We were in line at 7 am for the tender tickets so we'd be in the first boat. The young lady handing out tender tickets thought that the first open tenders would start around 7:45 am. In our case we got lucky - the ship sponsored excursions were taking a while to organize on board so at 7:10 am we were allowed in the very first tender to go ashore. I doubt that happens often.

The ride from ship to shore is about 5 miles, or 20 minutes by the time you get on board the tender, zip in, and disembark. Belize City has its own tenders that can seat a lot of people (80-150 depending on which tender) and can travel at 20 mph. It goes quickly.

If all had proceeded normally for us, I'd have expected us to get a tender ticket at 7 am, get on board a tender at 7:45 and be on shore no later than 8:15 am.

Your actual experience may vary depending on your cruise line, but at least I hope that give you some idea of what you might expect.

That depends on so many factors, but let me try to cover some of them.

The cruise lines will generally disembark their own tours first - meaning that the first several tenders (or more) will be full of guests going on ship-sponsored excursions.

We were just in Belize City with Holland America, and tendering was to begin at 7:00 am with guests on ship excursions departing first. We had a private excursion with Major Tom so wanted to get off the ship as early as possible. Holland America require folks on private tours to pick up tender tickets - the first folks in line pick up tickets that allow them on the first "open" tenders. We were in line at 7 am for the tender tickets so we'd be in the first boat. The young lady handing out tender tickets thought that the first open tenders would start around 7:45 am. In our case we got lucky - the ship sponsored excursions were taking a while to organize on board so at 7:10 am we were allowed in the very first tender to go ashore. I doubt that happens often.

The ride from ship to shore is about 5 miles, or 20 minutes by the time you get on board the tender, zip in, and disembark. Belize City has its own tenders that can seat a lot of people (80-150 depending on which tender) and can travel at 20 mph. It goes quickly.

If all had proceeded normally for us, I'd have expected us to get a tender ticket at 7 am, get on board a tender at 7:45 and be on shore no later than 8:15 am.

Your actual experience may vary depending on your cruise line, but at least I hope that give you some idea of what you might expect.

Just the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

Archived