Luggage tags after cabin change

knomad

Hello everyone.

We leave in less than a week for our cruise on Rhapsody, and I am concerned about getting our luggage on the ship. We changed cabins at the last minute after our cruise documents came in, from an Oceanview on Deck 4 to a Junior Suite on Deck 8. The travel agent put a white label over the old cabin number and wrote in the new cabin number with a regular ink pen. You can hardly see the number and the tags still say "A4 - Forward" in large letters. I suppose it should be "8-Aft" now.

Will our luggage still get to us? Do we need to do something when we get to the port? Should we not use these luggage tags, and make some of our own?

We appreciate any help you can give us!

On our November cruise we had edocs so we had to get our luggage tags when we checked in at the cruise terminal. The porters outside taking all the luggage just asked for our stateroom verification on our edocs - no problem at all. I would suppose if you have documents supporting the cabin change you could get new luggage tags right there at the terminal. Maybe you could confirm this by calling RCI. Good luck & have a great cruise.

I've done this a couple of times, and never had any problem, nor was I asked for any documentation. Don't use the old tags, that could cause confusion. There are plenty of BLANK baggage tags at the pier, just get some and put your new cabin number on them, put them on your luggage and then give them to the porter. The blank tags are usually at the "desk" that the RCI personnel have the manifest at, usually in the middle of the baggage check area. The porters will also get them for you, but I like doing things myself, then I know they're done right. :rolleyes:

I'll second all of the above recommendations. I had about two weeks to make my cabin adjustment so I used one of those portable labeling machines and made my own room numbers. It can out pretty professional because you could hardly tell it from the original (except the first digit wasn't enlarged like the regular ones).

The location on the ship isn't nearly as important as getting the deck and cabin number big and bold. Sharpies at the pier would work for me.

Ditto on getting tags at the pier...don't use the old ones. Ditto on carrying a sharpie to make the numbers visible. Just make sure you see the porter put those tags on before you leave the area. Its a little madhouse at certain times in Galveston particularly if a bus of people has just arrived so be digilent in getting those bags tagged. I had to get a little insistent that the porter put the tags on "right now" before I left...he was doing three things at once.

On the bright side, once you get inside the building, embarkation is really a breeze...we were 30 minutes from our hotel at Galveston Island to our cabin onboard. Also, Rhapsody debarks passengers by deck (top deck down) with deck 8 being one of the first colors called after handicapped and white (priority) tags. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you, everyone, for the great answers.

I didn't know if the preprinted tags were required or not.

We will get the luggage tags at the pier, and the Sharpie is already in my purse! I feel a lot better about this now. I would not have felt good at all about waving goodbye to the luggage with the tags that we have now on them!

Thanks!

Maybe it's just my bad luck, but every time I put something like a felt tip pen in my purse and fly, it starts leaking in a big way mid-flight, due to pressure changes. Wouldn't hurt to carry the Sharpie seperately in a zip-lock sandwich bag. And be very careful when you pull off the cap, after you land. If it leaked, there's likely to be wet ink right where at least I (as a person who grips close to the front of the pen) would be likely to hold.

I apologize, for the possibly non-topical interruption. I've just ended up with ink all over myself far too many times...

Archived