~ Past Guest Pins ~ VIP or Gift Shop???

joebat1

If you can get any Paradise pins, please let us know. We are sailing her for the 3rd time in May. Taking our three sons (30,26,and22). I didn't think pins were ever offered on sailings less than 5 days. Could be wrong. Let us know.
Now that they're available in the shops & not just at Past Guest Party cruises, I'm not giving up.

none in the gift shop on victory two weeks ago. i'm platinum and didn't receive one with my past guest invitation either.:(

I was platinum on the Victory 11/08 and was looking forward to getting my pin, they didn't come with our invitation so I went to the pursers desk and asked and was told that they were doing away with them and they didn't have any. As I wrote in a earlier post---Went to dinner and a friend of ours who was not platinum had some pins. Said he asked at the pursers desk and was given them,:eek:. So I went to the pursers desk and lo and behold they gave me two. What's up with that?

I keep hearing rumors about them having them in the gift shop and giving them to only platinum cruisers but they are rumors, I'd like to know the REAL TRUTH. Who can we ask? Even when you go to the pursers desk you hear different stories.:confused:

I was platinum on the Victory 11/08 and was looking forward to getting my pin, they didn't come with our invitation so I went to the pursers desk and asked and was told that they were doing away with them and they didn't have any. As I wrote in a earlier post---Went to dinner and a friend of ours who was not platinum had some pins. Said he asked at the pursers desk and was given them,:eek:. So I went to the pursers desk and lo and behold they gave me two. What's up with that?

I keep hearing rumors about them having them in the gift shop and giving them to only platinum cruisers but they are rumors, I'd like to know the REAL TRUTH. Who can we ask? Even when you go to the pursers desk you hear different stories.:confused:

I have been trying to uncover that information from several years of bugging Carnival home office and employee's ... Here is a quote from a Carnival executive with 30 years experience...

....Lapel Pin Past Guest Recogination Gift. These were given out to all returning guests in the mid 90's though 2006. They now only give them to Platinum Guests sailing on 10 or more cruises and then only if you go to the purser's office and request them. It is my understanding they are no longer going to be giving them out except on a very limited basis and by request only.

I really have come to the conclusion that since the PG pins were an expense item like soap, Kleenex, or toilet paper the room stewards were free to give them away with little supervision... I have tipped(bribed) my way to many, many PG pins in the past.

I am sure Carnival is aware of this and will put tighter controls on the free 'Platinum/VIP" pins now that similar pins are going to be put on sale in the gift shops. Someone posted they had purchased one of the new pins for $ 4.95 in the gift shop on last weeks sailing.

Just off Miracle and the 3 VIP's each got one in thier cabins. I did see them in the gift shop but if I remember correctly they were slightly bigger and were $5, i think.

VIP Pins are the same as before with just a different card?

Gift shop pins slightly larger??

Enough larger so you could tell the difference by just eying them ??

Interesting ~~!!~~

Did you happen to notice if the gift shop still sold the Cameo ship pins & the gold colored silhouette pins????

John did say in a recent blog that all gift shops would have them beginning Nov. 21. I sure hope this is so. :o I will be VERY UPSET if the Inspiration does not have any when I sail in a couple of weeks :mad:

I just got off the Inspiration on Thanksgiving Day. On top of our invitations to the Past Guest party were (2) Inspiration whale tail pins! I skipped around the cabin!

I didn't see them in the gift shop.

Let me know if you don't get one. I will send you one of mine as I only really care about having one of them :)

Did you happen to notice if the gift shop still sold the Cameo ship pins & the gold colored silhouette pins????

Do they still sell those? It has been six years sine I saw one of those. I have them for the Ecstacy, Elation and Glory (I think I have that) and like to wear them as tie clips on elegant nights.

I just got off the Inspiration on Thanksgiving Day. On top of our invitations to the Past Guest party were (2) Inspiration whale tail pins! I skipped around the cabin!

Let me know if you don't get one. I will send you one of mine as I only really care about having one of them :)

Here's the Paradise pin-still on the card. They scanned gray, but are red & blue w/gold trim. They were $4.95 in the shop. I asked at the Pursers desk & they still don't have the Past guest pins, for even Platinum guests.

IMG.jpg.e299715620aa787a1870e1c3f32f467e.jpg

Why Debra - THANK YOU - so much!!!! What a generous person you are! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to buy one on board. If not, I make take you up on your generous offer :D

By-the-way - I read your Inspiration review and LOVED it!!! I am so excited that I can hardly sleep!!!!! Again, many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any recent info on this topic. So, are the pins available for purchase and do Platinum Guests automatically get these or do we have to go to the pursers desk?

Chris

On the Christmas sailing (12/20/2009) of the Carnival Glory as Past Guest/Platinum Guests we did get the OLD style Pin with the Invitation to the Past Guest Party.

The Gift Shop did have the new Pins and I think they are much nicer and larger than the ones we were given.

1CarnivalSingleName.jpg

The first Carnival "Past Guest" pin. Ships from the Festivale, Tropicale, all Holiday Class Ships, and all Fantasy Class ships are known with the single name. After Carnival had purchased Princess Cruises in 1994 and Princess had the Princess "Captain's Club" for returning Princess guest they started the Carnival "Past Guest Club".

2001Holiday.jpg

Carnival issued "Dated" pins in 2000 and 2001. All ships in service at that time.

2000 - Tropicale through Carnival Victory....

2001 - Holiday through Carnival Pride.

1CarnivalDoublename.jpg

Double named pins.. The Holiday, All Fantasy Class and all newer ships to date. With the exception of the Holiday which is retired from the fleet, these will become the "VIP / Platinum" pins as of late 2009. I have seen 3 different VIP/ Platinum thank you cards given to VIP guest with these pins attached.

I have learned from recent returning VIP members that they have been handed out at VIP check-in lounge, room steward(always a good source), at the Pursers' Desk, and in the worst case "none of the above" depending on the ship.

Carnival%20Dream1.jpg

One of the "Gift Shop" pins for sale in the gift shop for $4.95.. Two other ship pins for sale are the gold/pewter ship outline for $ 3.50 and the gold shields with ship name & photo for $3.00.

There were none in the gift shops on the Dream.

I'm guessing it'll be a few weeks as they're just starting to roll all of this out...

:)

Some people are getting them somewhere...there have been several up for sale on eBay the last few weeks.

Probably Platinum....

Here's the Paradise pin-still on the card. They scanned gray, but are red & blue w/gold trim. They were $4.95 in the shop. I asked at the Pursers desk & they still don't have the Past guest pins, for even Platinum guests.

Interesting picture...it looks all wrong...here is what they look like....

IMG_2534.JPG

Maybe they made them different for the Paradise a long time ago....:confused:

Interesting picture...it looks all wrong...here is what they look like....

IMG_2534.JPG

Maybe they made them different for the Paradise a long time ago....:confused:

She is showing the newest redesigned pin.

Here is a "cleaned-up" picture without the black backer-card.... This is the newest "gift shop" pin. It is a silver colored pin instead of the gold tone of the "Past Guest/VIP/Platinum" pin.

CarPar.jpg

I will trade you one of the original "Paradise Past Guest pins" for one of the newer "gift shop" Paradise Pin like you are showning....

It is interesting the new "gift shop"Paradise pin is gold and the new "gift shop" Dream pin is silver.

Email me if you are interested in trading ....

joebat1@swbell.net

we got them on the Dream 12/26/2009

I'm assuming you got them because you are a platinum member. I'm only a gold member and dont think we get them (according to John's blog). Do you remember seeing them in the giftshop on that ship? I would love to get on while I'm on her in March.

I'm assuming you got them because you are a platinum member. I'm only a gold member and dont think we get them (according to John's blog). Do you remember seeing them in the giftshop on that ship? I would love to get on while I'm on her in March.

When I sailed on the Dream on 12/3 the gift shop had some of the "different" versions of pins that Joe mentioned above, but none of the traditional ones. My room steward helped me out (even though I am only gold) since they have them for the platinum guests. ;) He got permission from his supervisor to give me one and I tipped him for his efforts because I wanted a pin that matched the others on my lanyard.

Thanks Carnival!

Joe,

I will be on the Triumph next month if you want me to pick you up one from the Gift shop.

John did state recently on his blog that ALL the ships should soon be available in the gift shop. He was going to check to see if it also included the retired ships.

Dave

Archived