Best island for a scuba dive

jesmic

Hi,

I am going on my first cruise in March 2010. We are doing 4 Caribean island stops (St.Lucia, St.Martin, Antigua & Tortolla). Much as I would love to do a suba dive at each stop, my other 1/2 is a non diver, so I need to pick one stop to get my scuba fix!!

I'm looking for recomendations from you as to which island to choose from the 4 above to pick as my scuba stop. Also the names of dive operators who cater for cruise passengers would be handy too.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

I'd pick St. Lucia and Tortolla, depending on arrival time in port.

I would definitely not pick St. Marrten. Been there, won't repeat it.

I like airplanes. I'd go to that beach at the end of the runway and watch the planes land. Google image search St. Marrten Airport to see why.

Dove both St Lucia and BVI in St Lucia used scuba St Lucia it wasn't the greatest dive but then the coral reefs were trashed 4 months prior by a couple hurricanes (dove in feb 08) also dove BVI and used http://www.sailcaribbeandivers.com/dive/ we dove the RHONE and it can be a difficult dive with the current but I was newly certified and did just fine but i have heard others complain on here about this dive but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I did prefer BVI over St Lucia

my 2psi

BUzz

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend Tortola as your best place to dive. I've dove them all and you won't be disappointed in Tortola. There are numerous operators that run to many different sites. While the Rhone is very popular it can get crowded and it is deep and can have some current at times. UBS Dive center runs private tours that are very affordable. http://www.scubabvi.com/ You get the boat to yourself. If it's just yourself try Blue Water Divers.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd pick St. Lucia and Tortolla, depending on arrival time in port.

I would definitely not pick St. Marrten. Been there, won't repeat it.

I like airplanes. I'd go to that beach at the end of the runway and watch the planes land. Google image search St. Marrten Airport to see why.

If I may, what did you not like about St Martin? I've got a 2-tank dive booked there the end of January.

I wouldnt hesitate to go to St Lucia again and even dive with island divers http://www.islanddiversstlucia.com/ St Lucia is my favorite dive port so far. I have gone diving in California, St Thomas, Grenada, Dominica, and St Lucia. As another poster mentioned, make sure you do Supermans Flight....It is awesome!!! Island divers picked us up at the dock.....took us on the approx 30 min boat ride to Ti Kaye resort, where we got our equipment and picked up a couple of divers. We did 2 tank dives and even had lunch at the resort. We then got back on the boat for the 30 min ride back to the dock. It was Fabulous!!

If I may, what did you not like about St Martin? I've got a 2-tank dive booked there the end of January.

All the dive sites there are out in the open ocean so you are at the mercy of the conditions of the day you are there. There is on "calm side" of the island like there is in Cozumel or Grand Cayman. The day I was in St. Maarten, there was a 6 - 8 ft swell and a considerable surge. Visibility was poor and getting back on the boat was a real challenge. The ocean conditions were rough enough that the excursion operator gave us the option of receiving a refund if we chose not to go out. Two people got barf-over-the-side seasick on the boat ride to the first dive site.

IF the conditions were perfect, diving St. Maarten might be fine, but I'd hate to guess the weather conditions there some months in advance.

All the dive sites there are out in the open ocean so you are at the mercy of the conditions of the day you are there. There is on "calm side" of the island like there is in Cozumel or Grand Cayman. The day I was in St. Maarten, there was a 6 - 8 ft swell and a considerable surge. Visibility was poor and getting back on the boat was a real challenge. The ocean conditions were rough enough that the excursion operator gave us the option of receiving a refund if we chose not to go out. Two people got barf-over-the-side seasick on the boat ride to the first dive site.

IF the conditions were perfect, diving St. Maarten might be fine, but I'd hate to guess the weather conditions there some months in advance.

Thanks...here's hoping.

If you had to pick, I'd go with Tortola. Just got back from diving the Rhone there and it was a lot of fun. While I don't normally do so, I booked the cruise ship excursion out of convenience and because I kind of decided last minute. They used Sail Caribbean Divers who were a friendly and professional operation. Currents were moderately strong at the site but I didn't see anybody have trouble with it. It was a fun dive with some nice photo opportunities.

Archived